• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
-
I had this at the distillery in Park City a couple of years ago. They make it once a year in a limited release. My local liquor store got twelve bottles and sold out in less than an hour. I was lucky to see their online post a was able to grab one. Rye whiskey finished in French oak port barrels gives it a nice smooth finish. Highly recommended.

20211030_155122.jpg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been trying for years to get some MWND; probably a let down when I finally succeed.
In the meantime I'm enjoying a new one: https://www.amadorwhiskeyco.com
So far I've only sipped the double barrel, which I like a lot, especially at the price point - very smooth; the higher end hops flavored selections are up next, but I'm going in with a bit of a flinch because ..... hops.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re. Stillhouse. A friend gave me a can, can't really call it a bottle , of their apple crisp whiskey because she know I love apple crisp and I love whiskey too. Anyways I wasn't too optimistic about it, but, it's gone now and that means I liked it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Re. Stillhouse. A friend gave me a can, can't really call it a bottle , of their apple crisp whiskey because she know I love apple crisp and I love whiskey too. Anyways I wasn't too optimistic about it, but, it's gone now and that means I liked it.
Maybe @Philpug
posted this a while ago, but we stumbled upon Stillhouse while in Alaska, because it was affordable and the oil can looked unique.
When Phil bought it, the cashier said, "That's really good whiskey."
It really was.
Fortunately we found it at Total Wine so we can buy it locally. We haven't tried any of the flavored options, mostly because we like whiskey flavored whiskey. :rocks:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Me too. But the apple crisp was good and not too applley nor too crispy.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
-
I had this at the distillery in Park City a couple of years ago. They make it once a year in a limited release. My local liquor store got twelve bottles and sold out in less than an hour. I was lucky to see their online post a was able to grab one. Rye whiskey finished in French oak port barrels gives it a nice smooth finish. Highly recommended.

View attachment 146863
I love MWND. My favorite rye, by far. Wish i could find another.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight's tasting.
20211104_155938.jpg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Redemption high rye bourbon is one of my more reasonable picks particularly if I have limited options. My local discounter has a batch of single barrel select that they had picked. It’s actually pretty good and still at a relatively cheap price point($40). 1636069882700.jpeg

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I came across this when I stopped into use a veteran's day coupon I got in my email. This is the first thing I've seen from Kentucky Owl that was even close to my budget so i figured I'd give it a try. Pretty good for the price(under$50) but not my favorite.
IMG_1897.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I came across this when I stopped into use a veteran's day coupon I got in my email. This is the first thing I've seen from Kentucky Owl that was even close to my budget so i figured I'd give it a try. Pretty good for the price(under$50) but not my favorite.
so what is your favorite under $50 ?

I don't think I know whiskies, etc enough to buy anything more pricey .. or maybe it's only the fear of wasted quality on unskilled tastebuds.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
so what is your favorite under $50 ?

I don't think I know whiskies, etc enough to buy anything more pricey .. or maybe it's only the fear of wasted quality on unskilled tastebuds.
There are quite a few I could recommend in the $30-$50 price range but I would have to know what else you have tried that you liked. Do you like sweet, spicy, smoky?
ETA: Eagle Rare, Michter's, Knob Creek(I like the Rye but am meh on their bourbon), Tin Cup, Breckenridge are a few that come to mind as stand outs for their price.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ever go backpacking with whisk{e}y? What's your favorite way to carry the libation? A hip flask? Other? Bonus points for quality specifications and/or brand/model names.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ever go backpacking with whisk{e}y? What's your favorite way to carry the libation? A hip flask? Other? Bonus points for quality specifications and/or brand/model names.
Just like skis, you can’t have too many flasks. First, how long is the trip going to be? For a long one, i pack the .5l blue Sigg, for shorter ones, those Stanleys (8 oz.) are the go-to. I particularly like the Stanley metal shot glass set (4 in the smaller green container) for backpacking - seems more civilized. The flasks to the left are for more casual, or formal, occasions.

So check out Stanley and Sigg, Stanley are steel, Sigg are aluminum. Weight matters sometimes.

924F7BD0-D5C5-4C42-BD9C-B3CF9909B10F.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online