• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
1643071525653.png
Despite unpleasant memories of bad Bacardi cocktails and overly cloying froo-froo rum drinks from school days, as a Naval Officer for over two decades, I was intrigued by what my Royal Navy colleagues were always reminiscing about, so I decided to navigate the world of Rums to assess what the fuss was. Below are a half-dozen rums I have tasted of late:

Pusser's Blue Label British Navy Rum is blended from several Caribbean rums, including those from the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad, and Guyana. While I am aware a lot of folks like this, and intending no overt offense to my Royal Navy friends, to me this rum tasted a lot like the sweat dripping off the crotch pad of my biking shorts after a long ride. Not at all in the same category of rums as the ones that follow.

Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23 is a Guatemalan rum, and as the name implies, is blended using the solera system. It offers molasses and brown sugar flavors, along with a bit of tobacco and smoke—a bit thinner than some of the others here. Sips nicely and also works in cocktails.

Mount Gay XO Triple Cask Blend is a rum from Barbados which spends time in American whiskey, bourbon and Cognac casks. Smooth and flavorful, with echoes of chocolate and caramel, and a delightful finish. This is great for sipping neat or with an ice cube. I suspect folks who regularly drink whiskey will likely enjoy this!

Santa Teresa 1796 is a Venezuelan rum, made using the solera method—with the rums in the blend aged 5-35 years. Smooth with flavors of tropical fruit, as well as a background of butterscotch and toffee. Works great for sipping neat or used in cocktails.

El Dorado 21 Year Old Special Reserve is made in Guyana from rums of between 21 and 25 years of age. Smooth with hints of banana, dark chocolate, raisin. This is a great sipping rum which will likely please whiskey/Scotch/bourbon drinkers.

Appleton Estate 21 Year Old from Jamaica is the best rum I have tasted! Smooth with subtle flavors of raisin, vanilla, cinnamon, and a long lingering finish. The only problem with this rum is that the bottles seem to empty so quickly…

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Both my father and brother enjoyed Scotch, but I never understood their fascination. Through the miracle of online genealogy, some archive sleuthing, and genetic testing, our family recently learned that our mysterious paternal forefather who arrived in America in the 1890’s was actually Scottish and not Welch, in contrast to what was declared on his immigration documents. Perhaps that ancestry explains my new found appreciation of the complex flavors in a good Scotch whisky and my recent foray to explore them.

mceclip0.png

During this tasting journey, I tried to acquire samples of whisky from each region in Scotland: Lowland, Campbeltown, Islay, Speyside, Highland, and the Islands (some argue that the Islands are technically part of the Highlands, although to me the overarching flavors are quite different). Sadly, I have yet to find a Lowland Scotch whisky which I want to own; the few that were readily available in my locale were universally mediocre and disappointing.

Glen Scotia 15 (Campbeltown): From one of only three distilleries left in Campbeltown; while approachable and acceptable, this single malt is a just a bit mundane and pedestrian—dry, without the focused sweet, smoke, fruit, or peat notes found in many of the other exceptional drams which I have now explored.

Lagavulin 16 (Islay): On first taste, it comes on with some peat, salt, iodine, and smoke, but feels a bit thin in the mouth, tapering to a relatively long, but slightly medicinal flavored finish.

Ardbeg 19 Traigh Bhan (Islay): When you want a cigar after your meal, but don’t want to torch your trachea and lungs with hot toxic fumes, then have a taste of this fine beverage. On the first sip, I thought I inadvertently licked an ash tray; on the second it felt like I was cuddled up to a campfire roasting marshmallows; by the third I was lost in a wondrous cacophony of bold scents and flavors. Powerful and glorious!

Laphroaig 25 (Islay): An urbane and cultured Islay whiskey whose time maturing in both Oloroso sherry casks, as well as American bourbon barrels, contributes to a bit of sweetness, as well as some mild peat and oceanic flavors, as it rolls over the tongue and lingers through a long finish.

Bunnahabhain 25 (Islay): Ever so smooth, but without as much smoke, peat, or salt flavors as exhibited by other Islays—in many ways the flavor is more reminiscent of a Highland or Speyside. Although very good, perhaps somewhat overpriced.

Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask (Speyside): An utterly fantastic daily sipper that is easy to drink and is filled with amazing flavors of vanilla and hints of slightly sweet tropical fruit. Every friend and colleague who has tried it has expressed pleasure in its appeal. I suspect it will always reside on our shelf, especially given what a great value it is.

Macallan 18 Sherry Oak Cask (Speyside): A smooth and graceful beverage, sort of a single malt analogue to Johnny Walker Blue Label, but perhaps missing a bit of excitement and adventure, especially given the cost.

Balvenie 21 Portwood (Speyside): Elegantly, smooth, rich, and sensual—like a lovers kiss or a perfect symphony. If I could only have one Scotch whisky, this might be it—highly recommended!

Glenfarclas 25 (Speyside): What a refined and poised expression! Delicate sherry and oak balancing together with an intricate background of floral, fruit, nuts, and chocolate. This is a huge winner!

Glenmorangie Cignet (Highland): This is the dram that opened my eyes to Scotch Whiskey when a bottle was gifted to me by a colleague. It is purportedly a mix of 8-40yo whiskeys (allegedly 80% is greater than 30yo) aged in American oak casks and made using roasted chocolate malt barley with no chill filtration. It offers a symphony of marvelous flavors including espresso, chocolate, a bit of zesty orange, caramel, and some honey notes. This has been previously awarded “Whisky of the Year” by the International Whiskey Competition. We have gone through several bottles….

anCnoc 24 (Highland): Produced by Knockdhu Distillery with natural color and no chill filtration. This is a surprisingly delightful whisky, offering a grand mix of dried fruit, a bit of orange and ginger zing, with sherry notes throughout, along with some balancing pepper. I will definitely be getting more of this classic tasting malt!

Glengoyne 25 (Highland): This is a wonderful journey into a sophisticated and graceful sherried single malt with flavors of raisin, plum, some cherry, as well as fig, and a whisp of orange, with an old leather and tobacco essence on the long finish. Well worth it!

Talisker 18 (Island): This comes from the sole distillery on the Isle of Skye in the inner Hebrides of western Scotland. A nice complex balance of pepper, mild peat, smoke, and a touch of salt, with a murmur of sweetness calling from the background. This is definitely worth enjoying.

Highland Park 18 (Island): When first gifted this bottle, which hails from the Orkney Isles in the far North, it tasted a bit like kerosene littered with highly discordant flavors, so the bottle was put down and remained untouched for several months. When approached again, all who tried it were astounded by how it had smoothed out and offered a beautiful balance of light peat, a bit of sherry and honey sweetness, with echoes of plums, raisins, some apricot preserve, and a slight hint of smoke. Just fabulous!

Arran 20 Broderick Bay (Island): Wow! Such a complex and beautiful beverage matured in both bourbon and sherry casks. Some alluring whispers of sweetness, dark fruit, and cocoa. Unexpectedly it has become one of my favorites!

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 156698
Despite unpleasant memories of bad Bacardi cocktails and overly cloying froo-froo rum drinks from school days, as a Naval Officer for over two decades, I was intrigued by what my Royal Navy colleagues were always reminiscing about, so I decided to navigate the world of Rums to assess what the fuss was. Below are a half-dozen rums I have tasted of late:
Here's another to add to your great list:

https://www.caskers.com/kirk-and-sw...9dchaOOjLeKEz7l_5jLei7iktLlZdfARoC6NwQAvD_BwE

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
During my COVID experimentation with spirits, I realized I generally prefer Irish whiskey over Bourbon as a routine sipper—particularly in the Spring and Summer.

1643143236550.png

Green Spot—This is an excellent 7-10 year old single pot still Irish whiskey aged in former bourbon and sherry casks by the fine folks at Mitchell & Sons in Dublin, using whiskey from Irish Distillers Midleton location. It is very smooth and easy drinking with notes of vanilla, caramel, honey, and banana bread. It is quite enjoyable and a superb value.

Red Breast Lustau—After first spending 9-12 years in bourbon and sherry casks this superb whiskey is then finished by spending another year in Oloroso sherry butts from Bodegas Lustau in Jerez. Great flavors including some toasted nuts, spicy dried fruits, and creamy feel with a long finish. Great value and amazing flavors!

Yellow Spot 12yo—This impressive whiskey is partly aged in Malaga casks, in addition to bourbon and sherry ones, resulting in a smooth, sophisticated beverage bursting with sweet flavors of crème broulee, banana bread, toffee, cinnamon, and nutmeg. My favorite Irish Whiskey to sip so far!

Red Breast 15yo—Another winner from the Midleton Distillers! This smooth, creamy, and complex non-chill filtered whiskey offers both spicy and fruity elements, with some caramel, honey, and melon, along with oak and sherry notes.

Red Spot 15yo—The big brother of the spot collection; this whiskey spends time in a mix of bourbon, sherry, and Sicilian Marsala casks and is bottled without chill filtration. It feels silky as it slowly builds to a crescendo, like a wave breaking on a tropical beach—bursting forth flavors of vanilla, oak, dark fruits, and a hint of anise and clove on the finish.

Bushmills 21yo—A stunning Irish Whiskey from the Bushmills distillery founded in 1608. It is seasoned in bourbon barrels and Oloroso sherry casks for 19 years before being finished in Madeira casks for 2 years prior to final bottling. On sipping, there are initially flavors of caramel and vanilla, then some sweet nuts, followed with dark chocolate and coffee notes. 96 points at Whisky Advocate and worth every penny of it’s not insignificant cost!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Doc thanks for those reviews, I will keep a few of those on my next-buy list !

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@DocGKR, for someone who "just started" you sure have covered a lot of ground! Thanks for the reviews.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both my father and brother enjoyed Scotch, but I never understood their fascination. Through the miracle of online genealogy, some archive sleuthing, and genetic testing, our family recently learned that our mysterious paternal forefather who arrived in America in the 1890’s was actually Scottish and not Welch, in contrast to what was declared on his immigration documents. Perhaps that ancestry explains my new found appreciation of the complex flavors in a good Scotch whisky and my recent foray to explore them.

mceclip0.png

During this tasting journey, I tried to acquire samples of whisky from each region in Scotland: Lowland, Campbeltown, Islay, Speyside, Highland, and the Islands (some argue that the Islands are technically part of the Highlands, although to me the overarching flavors are quite different). Sadly, I have yet to find a Lowland Scotch whisky which I want to own; the few that were readily available in my locale were universally mediocre and disappointing.

Glen Scotia 15 (Campbeltown): From one of only three distilleries left in Campbeltown; while approachable and acceptable, this single malt is a just a bit mundane and pedestrian—dry, without the focused sweet, smoke, fruit, or peat notes found in many of the other exceptional drams which I have now explored.

Lagavulin 16 (Islay): On first taste, it comes on with some peat, salt, iodine, and smoke, but feels a bit thin in the mouth, tapering to a relatively long, but slightly medicinal flavored finish.

Ardbeg 19 Traigh Bhan (Islay): When you want a cigar after your meal, but don’t want to torch your trachea and lungs with hot toxic fumes, then have a taste of this fine beverage. On the first sip, I thought I inadvertently licked an ash tray; on the second it felt like I was cuddled up to a campfire roasting marshmallows; by the third I was lost in a wondrous cacophony of bold scents and flavors. Powerful and glorious!

Laphroaig 25 (Islay): An urbane and cultured Islay whiskey whose time maturing in both Oloroso sherry casks, as well as American bourbon barrels, contributes to a bit of sweetness, as well as some mild peat and oceanic flavors, as it rolls over the tongue and lingers through a long finish.

Bunnahabhain 25 (Islay): Ever so smooth, but without as much smoke, peat, or salt flavors as exhibited by other Islays—in many ways the flavor is more reminiscent of a Highland or Speyside. Although very good, perhaps somewhat overpriced.

Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask (Speyside): An utterly fantastic daily sipper that is easy to drink and is filled with amazing flavors of vanilla and hints of slightly sweet tropical fruit. Every friend and colleague who has tried it has expressed pleasure in its appeal. I suspect it will always reside on our shelf, especially given what a great value it is.

Macallan 18 Sherry Oak Cask (Speyside): A smooth and graceful beverage, sort of a single malt analogue to Johnny Walker Blue Label, but perhaps missing a bit of excitement and adventure, especially given the cost.

Balvenie 21 Portwood (Speyside): Elegantly, smooth, rich, and sensual—like a lovers kiss or a perfect symphony. If I could only have one Scotch whisky, this might be it—highly recommended!

Glenfarclas 25 (Speyside): What a refined and poised expression! Delicate sherry and oak balancing together with an intricate background of floral, fruit, nuts, and chocolate. This is a huge winner!

Glenmorangie Cignet (Highland): This is the dram that opened my eyes to Scotch Whiskey when a bottle was gifted to me by a colleague. It is purportedly a mix of 8-40yo whiskeys (allegedly 80% is greater than 30yo) aged in American oak casks and made using roasted chocolate malt barley with no chill filtration. It offers a symphony of marvelous flavors including espresso, chocolate, a bit of zesty orange, caramel, and some honey notes. This has been previously awarded “Whisky of the Year” by the International Whiskey Competition. We have gone through several bottles….

anCnoc 24 (Highland): Produced by Knockdhu Distillery with natural color and no chill filtration. This is a surprisingly delightful whisky, offering a grand mix of dried fruit, a bit of orange and ginger zing, with sherry notes throughout, along with some balancing pepper. I will definitely be getting more of this classic tasting malt!

Glengoyne 25 (Highland): This is a wonderful journey into a sophisticated and graceful sherried single malt with flavors of raisin, plum, some cherry, as well as fig, and a whisp of orange, with an old leather and tobacco essence on the long finish. Well worth it!

Talisker 18 (Island): This comes from the sole distillery on the Isle of Skye in the inner Hebrides of western Scotland. A nice complex balance of pepper, mild peat, smoke, and a touch of salt, with a murmur of sweetness calling from the background. This is definitely worth enjoying.

Highland Park 18 (Island): When first gifted this bottle, which hails from the Orkney Isles in the far North, it tasted a bit like kerosene littered with highly discordant flavors, so the bottle was put down and remained untouched for several months. When approached again, all who tried it were astounded by how it had smoothed out and offered a beautiful balance of light peat, a bit of sherry and honey sweetness, with echoes of plums, raisins, some apricot preserve, and a slight hint of smoke. Just fabulous!

Arran 20 Broderick Bay (Island): Wow! Such a complex and beautiful beverage matured in both bourbon and sherry casks. Some alluring whispers of sweetness, dark fruit, and cocoa. Unexpectedly it has become one of my favorites!
Love your reviews...you do a great job of describing how a drink tastes!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
1643404989444.png
Redbreast 27 yo Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey: Redbreast 12, 15, and 21 yo are
all delightful in their own right, however the 27yo Redbreast is sublime. In 2021,
the Beverage Testing Institute (BTI) awarded Redbreast 27yo Irish whiskey a
perfect 100 score (as a point of comparison, Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve
20yo got a 99 score
). At the Irish Distillers (makers of Jameson) Midleton location
in County Cork, the Redbreast 27 is enriched in ruby port barrels from Portugal’s Douro Valley. Redolent with opulent berry aromas on the nose, then bursting with vanilla, toffee, and tropical fruit on the tongue and palate, and extending through a long finish with some dark chocolate, along with hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices. Redbreast 27yo is a bit more expensive, but since it sits at the pinnacle of fine spirits, easily one of the best whiskeys in the world, it is well worth the cost for such impressive flavors!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
What is everyone’s view on Larceny bourbon?

I have had at least 10 people tell me to try it, I have and I do not like it at all.

is my taster broken?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
A crappy day at work calls for a pour of good bourbon.
What is the going rate for Weller 12 in Southwest Ohio? You're looking at $400 or so in NYC (when you can actually find it). Its a great bottle, but hard to justify buying too many at that markup. Same with Blanton's at $250-300. Supply and demand.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
What is the going rate for Weller 12 in Southwest Ohio? You're looking at $400 or so in NYC (when you can actually find it). Its a great bottle, but hard to justify buying too many at that markup. Same with Blanton's at $250-300. Supply and demand.

Ohio is rumored to be the land of Weller. I am pretty sure its a controlled state and you get get the green and red labels for retail regularly in certain parts. However, I believe Weller 12 might be a lottery or limited release but at retail. I'd never pay much over retail for Blantons... its good but one of the most overhyped bourbons that people blindly chase. I guess that is easy to say as you can usually score a bottle for retail in the Bay Area if you catch a drop at one of the big retailers.

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Following my general regional tasting described above, several older Scotch whiskys found their way into my possession.
IMG_9019 copy.jpg
Glenfarclas 40 (Speyside): This beautiful, spry whisky from a family owned distillery is designed for drinking, coming in a simple cardboard tube and not some fancy display packaging; for its age and sophistication, it is a true bargain. So rich, balanced, and deeply refined, yet still reverberating with many of the classic Glenfarclas floral, fruit, and nut characteristics present in some of their younger versions. This is worth getting again!

Balvenie 30 (Speyside): After resting three decades in both sherry casks and American Bourbon barrels, this whisky from a family owned distillery offers an incredibly smooth ride. There is some power and big dry oak here, so let it breath a bit before quaffing. Leather, nuts, a bit of bitter orange, touches of sherry, and some pepper notes abound. While good, I prefer the Balvenie 21 Portwood flavors—but don’t believe me, Balvenie Malt Master David Stewart also prefers the Portwood!

Glenmorangie Grand Vintage 1997 (Highland): This is the seventh edition of the Glenmorngie special Bond House No. 1 Collection crafted by Director of Whisky Creation, Dr. Bill Lumsden. While only 23yo, this is a special whisky, spending some 10 years in standard bourbon casks, followed by another 13 years in wine barrels from the stellar Château Montrose in Saint-Estèphe, Bordeaux. Portions also reportedly spent some time in Oloroso sherry casks. The results are spectacular, with a fascinating infusion of berry and fruit flavors quite evident, along with a gentle spice in the long finish. 95 points at the International Whisky Competition. Don’t miss out!

Talisker 30 (Island): Vibrant and alive, with a classic Talisker flavor profile demonstrating an intricate equilibrium of peat, smoke, sea salt, and pepper, with a subtle background siren’s call of sweetness. Just magnificent!

Highland Park 30 (Island): This is a bold and powerful whisky which tastes younger and more vibrant than it’s 30 year age statement. It offers some Orkney peat, a smoldering light smoke essence, some tobacco and leather, as well as a bit of eggnog evocation. In spite of that, the excellent 18 & 21 are perhaps a better value.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier

I have had at least 10 people tell me to try it, I have and I do not like it at all.

is my taster broken?
Bourbon, scotch, beer, wine, bikes, skis, life partners, etc are all a matter of personal preference. You are you, enjoy what you like!

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier

is my taster broken?
No. It's a hit or miss pour. It's an ok sipper for $22, and works in a pinch for mixing.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve been nursing this 1.75L for several years. I paid $55 for it. I managed to score a 750mL in a lottery at a store in Northern Kentucky for I think $69.99 last summer. In Ohio it’s sold by statewide lottery for I believe $50. I refuse to pay more than retail for anything.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ohio is rumored to be the land of Weller. I am pretty sure its a controlled state and you get get the green and red labels for retail regularly in certain parts. However, I believe Weller 12 might be a lottery or limited release but at retail. I'd never pay much over retail for Blantons... its good but one of the most overhyped bourbons that people blindly chase. I guess that is easy to say as you can usually score a bottle for retail in the Bay Area if you catch a drop at one of the big retailers.
We certainly seem to get more Weller than most states at times. For a few months it seemed like Weller Special Reserve and Antique were almost weekly deliveries. 12 year, Full Proof, and C.Y.P.B. are all sold by lottery but at great prices. I won the right to buy a state pick of Full Proof in 2020 for I think $40 but have come up empty every time since.

Sponsor

Staff online