• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just picked this up at the liquor store. Have never seen it before. I will be sampling this weekend
20221213_115249_resized.jpg

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
New to this thread, but I've been occasionally contributing to the ski.com.au equivalent thread.

True Scotsmen don't refer to whisky (without an E) as Scotch. I'm a descendant of a Scot who spent 15 years as a convict, so I know that "scotch" is a verb meaning to scour. Which is appropriate to supermarket whiskies like Johnny Walker red label.

My entry level is J and B blended whisky, followed by Johnny Walker double black.

My preference is for strong, bold, smoky whiskies. Islay or Skye distilleries.

There are some boutique Australian distilleries producing small runs of whiskies. I've just ordered a bottle of Archie Rose stringybark smoked whisky. AUD 200, about USD 140. Report likely in the new year.o

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Finally got my hands on a bottle of High West' Midwinter Night's Dram (rye blend, Port barrel finished). Worth the wait, although possibly not the price. I'm generally not a fan of wine barrel (fortified or otherwise) finished whiskey but this is certainly the exception to the rule. Smooth and wonderfully lingering fullness. If you like your whiskey to bite, this is not for you.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I need some Christmas help....I usually gift a dear friend some scotch. In the past I've given him Cardhu. It's been delisted at the LCBO and hard to find. So need something. My cousin has suggested Auban....

Give me some ideas, and I'll see if they are available at the LCBO or SAQ.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I need some Christmas help....I usually gift a dear friend some scotch. In the past I've given him Cardhu. It's been delisted at the LCBO and hard to find. So need something. My cousin has suggested Auban....

Well, a little more info could help. I don’t know Cardhu, but searching shows there are a few different expressions - 12 year old, 18 yo, Gold Reserve, etc.
I’m not familiar with Cardhu but I can read the reviews on whiskeyadvocate.com.

All that said, if the giftee leans toward smokey, peaty scotch, Ardbeg makes some great expressions. If they lean in the direction of somewhat spicy and/or floral expressions The Dalmore distillery has some really nice expressions. Either would make a great gift, depending on what the giftee prefers.

Picking which expression in a given brand might depend on what you want to spend. :ogcool:

And your cousin was probably suggesting Oban, which is good and on the smoky, peaty side. But it would help to know what the giftee likes.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

This maybe helpful.
Cardu is a Speyside

Other good Speyside Scotch. I like Balvenie. The DoubleWood is a good value for Balvenie.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glenmorangie is good. It would help you to know what your friend likes though. At least in the Highland, Islay, Speyside, Lowlands context. And whether they like ‘finished’ whisky (like the sherry cask, or port cask finished).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today's my birthday so my part-time neighbor brought me a present and some other delights.

20964.jpeg

The Angel's Envy was the gift. It was quite pleasant with its whispy hint of chocolate.

The two Blood Oaths, Part No. 6 and Part No. 7, were delightful as well although I'm no connoisseur. I was a bit partial to the No. 7 as the Sauterne cask seemed to add a little sweetness. While the No. 6 was excellent as well, it placed third with my Angel's Envy being numero uno.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today's my birthday so my part-time neighbor brought me a present and some other delights.

View attachment 187048

The Angel's Envy was the gift. It was quite pleasant with its whispy hint of chocolate.

The two Blood Oaths, Part No. 6 and Part No. 7, were delightful as well although I'm no connoisseur. I was a bit partial to the No. 7 as the Sauterne cask seemed to add a little sweetness. While the No. 6 was excellent as well, it placed third with my Angel's Envy being numero uno.
Nice! Happy birthday!

Sponsor