• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Eagle Rare, Four Roses Single Barrel, Knob Creek 9 yr/100 proof, Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig 94 proof, and Old Grand Dad 114 are all solid choices in the ~$40 or less category.
Eagle Rare used to be a go to but it is $60-$80 around here for some reason and the last time I tried it I thought it had gone downhill significantly. :(

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eagle Rare used to be a go to but it is $60-$80 around here for some reason and the last time I tried it I thought it had gone downhill significantly. :(
Well, it has become “rare” so a lot of retailers jack the price up, but I’ve found $40 bottles at some stores. Also, since it’s single barrel I’ve read that some barrels are better than others. All that said, at MSRP, I’ve found it to be a solid pour. I don’t think I’d pay inflated prices for it. I pretty much hate the current bourbon market that has created rarity and jacked up prices.

Hardpack

Booting up
Skier
Callling all bourbon fans... I get free binding release checks and discounted ski tunes at bromley since I work there. I have a lot of skis so I'm always in there with a pair of skis getting something done. I've started bringing the shop manager an adult beverage present every year. He likes bourbon. Last year I gave him Bulleit. He liked it but I know nothing about bourbon so wasn't sure if I should keep the bulleit train going or if there's someting "better" I can bring him.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Stagg Jr.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Does anyone have feedback on Angles Envy Bourbon? One of the local suppliers is pushing a $42.00 price for a 750ml bottle. First how is the bourbon and second is it a fair price? Thanks.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does anyone have feedback on Angles Envy Bourbon? One of the local suppliers is pushing a $42.00 price for a 750ml bottle. First how is the bourbon and second is it a fair price? Thanks.
It's finished in port barrels and that flavor is prominent. I'm not a fan of it personally but I don't really like port. $42 is pretty much standard, IME.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
As others have said, it is a solid bourbon. Certainly a bit on the sweet side, but not overpowering. I almost always have a bottle around. For $42, give it a shot; you can't really go wrong. If you don't like it, the holidays are right around the corner so there may be opportunities to share it.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a bottle. Both my wife and I like it. I think I paid the same price at Total Wine (recent purchase).

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do like bourbon...quite a bit. However, I am boring as heck. The only brand I buy for home is Woodford Reserve. Out and about I will sometimes order something different. But even then It's usually a Makers Mark or JD. Used to drink Wild Turkey though it's been a minute. What should I be ordering?

I drink bourbon on rocks or neat. Never mixed. Never scotch, nor rye.
My favorite is Woodford Reserve but I've had a lot of fun expanding what I drink and have maybe 9-10 different bottles at home right now. Weller Antique 107, Bulleit, Angels Envy, Four Roses have all been welcome additions. I'd love to get my hands on Blanton Single Barrel after trying some at the link below but I can't find it locally and you can't ship to MA.

There's this kitchen and bar near me with a great bourbon menu, including allocations, and I go there every month or two and try a few new bourbons. It's really opened up what I like and allowed me to try some of these rare bourbons you can't find. https://www.bourbonsframingham.com/menus/#spirits-copy-1

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After posting last night I decided it was time for another round of online searching of MA stores looking for Blanton's. I found a little hole-in-the-wall store not far away listing it as in stock. I didn't believe it but decided it was worth the drive and I'd pick up something else once I saw they really didn't have it. Hot damn if they didn't have the Blanton's AND Eagle Rare 10 year

Bourbon.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After posting last night I decided it was time for another round of online searching of MA stores looking for Blanton's. I found a little hole-in-the-wall store not far away listing it as in stock. I didn't believe it but decided it was worth the drive and I'd pick up something else once I saw they really didn't have it. Hot damn if they didn't have the Blanton's AND Eagle Rare 10 year

View attachment 215961
What was the damage? I've found Blanton's once for <$50. Usually in the $120s or above.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What was the damage? I've found Blanton's once for <$50. Usually in the $120s or above.

Can I preface this by saying I've been looking for a bottle for a long time and feeling frustrated? ;)

$150 for the Blanton's and $70 for the Eagle Rare.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can I preface this by saying I've been looking for a bottle for a long time and feeling frustrated? ;)

$150 for the Blanton's and $70 for the Eagle Rare.
That sounds about right. Don't let any dumb ass friends slam it!

JEC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Imagine looking for advice on skis and stumbling onto this thread! Recent Costco purchases pictured. The Kirkland Bottled in Bond is done by Barton 1792. The alcohol buyer wouldn’t let me leave without taking the McKenna. They also had Buffalo Trace (in a liter bottle for less than I’ve ever seen the 750 size bottles.)
image.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Imagine looking for advice on skis and stumbling onto this thread! Recent Costco purchases pictured. The Kirkland Bottled in Bond is done by Barton 1792. The alcohol buyer wouldn’t let me leave without taking the McKenna. They also had Buffalo Trace (in a liter bottle for less than I’ve ever seen the 750 size bottles.)
View attachment 216082
Welcome aboard! There's a little of everything tucked away in different corners of this site!

Sponsor

Staff online