• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Callling all bourbon fans... I get free binding release checks and discounted ski tunes at bromley since I work there. I have a lot of skis so I'm always in there with a pair of skis getting something done. I've started bringing the shop manager an adult beverage present every year. He likes bourbon. Last year I gave him Bulleit. He liked it but I know nothing about bourbon so wasn't sure if I should keep the bulleit train going or if there's someting "better" I can bring him.

Thanks for any suggestions.
How about something local? I find it fun to give my "local" gifts when traveling.

I did a quick "Vermont" distillery check and found several for example. So odd ;) that maple bourbons seem popular.

(edit: Whistlepig is in Vermont ... never knew)

Maybe a local shop can give insight as to which are "better", some may be great.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stagg 22B - $120
Weller SR - $100
McKenna - $60
Buffalo Trace - $45

This place is a real find. They had 6 bottles of Blanton's at $99 and Eagle Rare 10 yr at $60. That price for the Blanton's is a bit painful as I just paid $150 for it at another store.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Stagg 22B - $120
Weller SR - $100
McKenna - $60
Buffalo Trace - $45

This place is a real find. They had 6 bottles of Blanton's at $99 and Eagle Rare 10 yr at $60. That price for the Blanton's is a bit painful as I just paid $150 for it at another store.
Those prices are a little high but very doable.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Up thread I asked about a bourbon called Angels Envy and a $42.00 price. So I decided to get a bottle and will give it a try for this holiday.
PXL_20231122_211153428.jpg
PXL_20231122_211243685.jpg
The Angel wings are on the back of the bottle that is why I took a second photo.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those prices are a little high but very doable.
I agree, though I thought the BT and McKenna were pretty good prices. In any case, I’ve been searching for some of these bottles for a while now so paying a reasonable premium was okay. I wouldn’t have touched the Stagg at some of the SM prices I’ve seen but $120 was too good to pass up

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Picked up a bottle of 4 Roses per recs. above. Will report back...eventually.

Friend came over with a bottle of Writers Tears Irish whiskey. It tasted pretty good. 3 of us came close to polishing it off in 1 afternoon/evening. We were all in for the evening, wisely deciding to get delivery rather than drive.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I decided to continue the bourbon hunt by stopping at some local stores that I never frequent and found a few bottles.

View attachment 216299
These are all good but not worth the current inflated prices, IMO. Even the Buffalo Trace should be a $30 bottle but because the also make Pappy's everything they make now has an undeserved price premium.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eagle Rare used to be a go to but it is $60-$80 around here for some reason and the last time I tried it I thought it had gone downhill significantly. :(
I recall something happening to the Eagle Rare distillary a few years ago but can't quite recall what happened. Maybe that's why its rare to find and up in price.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I recall something happening to the Eagle Rare distillary a few years ago but can't quite recall what happened. Maybe that's why its rare to find and up in price.
I'm OK with a price increase if the quality also goes up. Unfortunately hat hasn't been the case in most situations,IME.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are all good but not worth the current inflated prices, IMO. Even the Buffalo Trace should be a $30 bottle but because the also make Pappy's everything they make now has an undeserved price premium.

As I've mentioned up-thread, I've had really bad luck finding any of these bottles, let alone at retail. I'm considering this a splurge purchase and in the future I'll likely be more sensitive to price.

That Weller is good and very hard to find.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I have a bottle of Antique 107 that I really like.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about something local? I find it fun to give my "local" gifts when traveling.

I did a quick "Vermont" distillery check and found several for example. So odd ;) that maple bourbons seem popular.

(edit: Whistlepig is in Vermont ... never knew)

Maybe a local shop can give insight as to which are "better", some may be great.

I'm a fan of the Mad River Distillery "Revolution Rye". I first had it at a free tasting in the lobby of the base lodge at Sugarbush.
20231123_115038.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online