• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stagg 22B - $120
Weller SR - $100
McKenna - $60
Buffalo Trace - $45

This place is a real find. They had 6 bottles of Blanton's at $99 and Eagle Rare 10 yr at $60. That price for the Blanton's is a bit painful as I just paid $150 for it at another store.
Great grab with the Stagg! $100 for WSR, ouch.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interested in hearing your take on the EC rye,

IMG_3379.jpeg
Notice that I’m sampling the EC rye at my daughter’s ranch from a glass that has an impression of Mt. Shasta as the actual Mt. Shasta looms in the distance. I impress myself sometimes.

Anyway, the EC rye 94 proof is an easy-going, easy drinking whisky. Its spice is on the mild side, I was just joking with my SIL that it’s a nice ‘breakfast’ whiskey, perfect for holidays or mixing. The daughter’s having it in her pre-turkey eggnog. If you’re familiar with Sazerac rye, the EC is somewhat milder.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

IMG_3381.jpeg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 216370
Notice that I’m sampling the EC rye at my daughter’s ranch from a glass that has an impression of Mt. Shasta as the actual Mt. Shasta looms in the distance. I impress myself sometimes.

Anyway, the EC rye 94 proof is an easy-going, easy drinking whisky. Its spice is on the mild side, I was just joking with my SIL that it’s a nice ‘breakfast’ whiskey, perfect for holidays or mixing. The daughter’s having it in her pre-turkey eggnog. If you’re familiar with Sazerac rye, the EC is somewhat milder.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

View attachment 216373

Now THAT'S a Thanksgiving I can get behind!
I'm adding the EC rye to my shopping list.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Now THAT'S a Thanksgiving I can get behind!
I'm adding the EC rye to my shopping list.
It tastes very similar to their bourbon but is lacking in the rye spiciness, IMO. Not my preference but everyone's tastes vary and it's usually cheap enough that it's no big loss if you don't like it. I can imagine it would be quite good in cocktails but I tend to drink whiskey/whisky neat or with an ice cube.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll go in with low expectations ..... ogwink

I love a good rye straight, but equally embrace a good rye that mixes well in a cocktail e.g. Frey Ranch rye. Our go to for manhattans and old fashions.

Reactions: Ogg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Maple-Rye ice cream! I made it with a custard base, cracked almonds, and one measure (45 ml) of Rittenhouse. I used maple syrup and brown sugar for sweetening. Really tasty!

That's the thing with Rittenhouse, delicious sipper, and inexpensive enough that I can cook with it without guilt!

1700870979154.png

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maple-Rye ice cream! I made it with a custard base, cracked almonds, and one measure (45 ml) of Rittenhouse. I used maple syrup and brown sugar for sweetening. Really tasty!

That's the thing with Rittenhouse, delicious sipper, and inexpensive enough that I can cook with it without guilt!

View attachment 216439
It's funny how different people's tastes can be. I tried Rittenhouse a couple of times and really didn't like it neat or with an ice cube. Thinking about it I don't think I've tried anything "Bottled in Bond" that I have been particularly fond of, not sure why. :huh:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's funny how different people's tastes can be. I tried Rittenhouse a couple of times and really didn't like it neat or with an ice cube. Thinking about it I don't think I've tried anything "Bottled in Bond" that I have been particularly fond of, not sure why. :huh:
Based on your responses over the last few pages I have to ask; is there anything besides HW Double Rye that you do like?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on your responses over the last few pages I have to ask; is there anything besides HW Double Rye that you do like?
Quite a few things. I have posted some in this thread. Unfortunately, many of the ones I have liked have either become too expensive and/or gone down hill, IMO. Bourbon and rye has become too popular and the stocks of much of the good stuff have become depleted.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 216439
I want this.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Stagg 22B - $120
Weller SR - $100
McKenna - $60
Buffalo Trace - $45

This place is a real find. They had 6 bottles of Blanton's at $99 and Eagle Rare 10 yr at $60. That price for the Blanton's is a bit painful as I just paid $150 for it at another store.
The Stagg is worth that price. The Weller SR is way overpriced and not worth that.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Stagg is worth that price. The Weller SR is way overpriced and not worth that.

I had some of the SR over the weekend. While good it’s not worth what I paid. I was very happy with the Buffalo Trace. I haven’t opened the Stagg yet but soon.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had a glass of 4 Roses on a big rock while watching a good football game yesterday. Had to get the awful taste of Friday's Jets game out of my mouth.

I liked it. Similar to Woodford. Bit sweeter aftertaste.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a glass of 4 Roses on a big rock while watching a good football game yesterday. Had to get the awful taste of Friday's Jets game out of my mouth.

I liked it. Similar to Woodford. Bit sweeter aftertaste.
Sorry, but that is like saying I was on some Atomics. Too generic.

I decided to open this last night and have a glass.
1701116725598.png

Sponsor

Staff online