• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They've recently released several some "mid-point" whiskeys e.g. Piggyback and Farmstock, which I was not impressed with. The foundational 10 year old is delicious, if pricey. Haven't tried the 12, 15, 0r 18 year olds, as anything older than around 10 years all starts to taste the same to my brutalized taste buds.
I'm sure I'm going to get scolded by someone for this comment, but....
I find that I can tell the difference between *example* a 30.00/bottle and a 50.00/bottle more than I can a 50.00/bottle and 150.00/bottle.
While I agree the 150.00/bottle is better the differences are (often) 3X better.
I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but then how often do I drink anything more than a 50.00 bottle?

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are lots of different Whistle Pigs. Some are quite good, and others are, well, let's just say disappointing. The first year "farmstock" was pretty bad.
I think it may have been the farm stock that I tried. Blech!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm sure I'm going to get scolded by someone for this comment, but....
I find that I can tell the difference between *example* a 30.00/bottle and a 50.00/bottle more than I can a 50.00/bottle and 150.00/bottle.
While I agree the 150.00/bottle is better the differences are (often) 3X better.
I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but then how often do I drink anything more than a 50.00 bottle?

Not to worry. - no scolding from me! I particularly am bemused by the phenomenon of increased proof leading to increased price (see barrel proof). I'm more willing to invest in an exorbitantly priced bottle of wine than the brown juice, as I feel that I can discern the subtleties of flavor more readily in wine. Wine can also fall prey to the too much alcohol syndrome too, however. I do like some whiskeys in the $50-100 range, and only one is above 93 proof, but after that it's all just a taste blur.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not to worry. - no scolding from me! I particularly am bemused by the phenomenon of increased proof leading to increased price (see barrel proof). I'm more willing to invest in an exorbitantly priced bottle of wine than the brown juice, as I feel that I can discern the subtleties of flavor more readily in wine. Wine can also fall prey to the too much alcohol syndrome too, however. I do like some whiskeys in the $50-100 range, and only one is above 93 proof, but after that it's all just a taste blur.
I am also befuddled by the increased proof = increased $$
For me, I'd rather drink something tasty that is lower in alcohol content for no other reason that I like to enjoy more than one beverage and would really prefer to keep my wits about me and my taste buds in tact.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am also befuddled by the increased proof = increased $$
For me, I'd rather drink something tasty that is lower in alcohol content for no other reason that I like to enjoy more than one beverage and would really prefer to keep my wits about me and my taste buds in tact.
I agree, plus the higher proof beverages also tend to be harsher and I prefer a smoother drink.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find some of the higher proof bourbons have more flavor, but are not harsher. Bulleit barrel strength and 4 Roses small batch select are two of my favs in the higher octane variety...

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find the sweet spot for proof for me to be in the 90-100 range. The subtle flavors are lost on me though. The only flavors I can pick out consistently are vanilla caramel.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sounds like many on here are missing out on the improvement in flavour by adding the proper amount of water to whisky(ESPECIALLY cast strength versions). Have been to countless tastings over the years and have heard many times of the “optimum” alcohol percentage to strive for being around 38%.

This means those around 40% may need a few drops to release it’s full potential(lots of boutique water droppers for this purpose) and why many cast strength options seem “too strong”. It’s because they are!
Many will do an initial taste full strength and then diluted to showcase the difference and benefits of the added water. Cast strength are usually priced higher but due to its higher concentrate, you ARE getting more volume after you dilute it.

I sold high end stereo gear for many years and there are “diminishing returns” the more expensive you get. Like booze, there are huge differences in the lower price ranges but once you get to a certain price point, that “little bit better” takes a lot more money than did on entry level stuff.

Have had the Alberta Premium Cast Strength Whisky a few times since it’s finally available to buy and wow, what a fantastic Whisky for only $70 CAN! Can see why it was so well reviewed.

That Kirkland Islay might be a Laphroaig that hasn’t been aged as long as they supply other places too. I have a $40 CAN bottle of Islay Mist and when I had it, my first thought was “tastes like a slightly watered down Laphroaig” and when I checked the label, it listed them as the distillery. Was impressed/slightly scared that I guessed that correctly.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like many on here are missing out on the improvement in flavour by adding the proper amount of water to whisky(ESPECIALLY cast strength versions). Have been to countless tastings over the years and have heard many times of the “optimum” alcohol percentage to strive for being around 38%.

This means those around 40% may need a few drops to release it’s full potential(lots of boutique water droppers for this purpose) and why many cast strength options seem “too strong”. It’s because they are!
Many will do an initial taste full strength and then diluted to showcase the difference and benefits of the added water. Cast strength are usually priced higher but due to its higher concentrate, you ARE getting more volume after you dilute it.

I sold high end stereo gear for many years and there are “diminishing returns” the more expensive you get. Like booze, there are huge differences in the lower price ranges but once you get to a certain price point, that “little bit better” takes a lot more money than did on entry level stuff.

Have had the Alberta Premium Cast Strength Whisky a few times since it’s finally available to buy and wow, what a fantastic Whisky for only $70 CAN! Can see why it was so well reviewed.

That Kirkland Islay might be a Laphroaig that hasn’t been aged as long as they supply other places too. I have a $40 CAN bottle of Islay Mist and when I had it, my first thought was “tastes like a slightly watered down Laphroaig” and when I checked the label, it listed them as the distillery. Was impressed/slightly scared that I guessed that correctly.
I sincerely enjoy whiskey more when I open it up with a little water.

We've attended a few tastings at a local place that has them from time to time.
Very educational.

Uncle-A

Skier

Thanks, this is an interesting read, I have liked a splash of water with my scotch. You talk about "A few drops" is there any ratio or number of Oz's or ML per shot of whiskey you know that opens up the flavor correctly or is it to taste?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks, this is an interesting read, I have liked a splash of water with my scotch. You talk about "A few drops" is there any ratio or number of Oz's or ML per shot of whiskey you know that opens up the flavor correctly or is it to taste?

It’s usually dependent on the alcohol percentage of the Scotch/Whisky you are drinking which you are then adding enough water to hit your “desired percentage”. I’ve often heard above 40% alcohol, you start tasting the alcohol more and the other flavours are clouded a bit so aiming for just under 40%/80 proof is a common desired goal and often hear “ get down to 38-39%” ABV.

So a 40%/80 proof whisky or Scotch would literally only be a few drops of water to get below 40% while a cask strength 66% would require around 1.5oz of water added to 2oz to get there.

Some prefer a higher alcohol percentage in their Whisky and may only add water to cask strength versions.

Here’s an article and calculator to figure out levels of water needed to get to you desired alcohol percentage.

Uncle-A

Skier
It’s usually dependent on the alcohol percentage of the Scotch/Whisky you are drinking which you are then adding enough water to hit your “desired percentage”. I’ve often heard above 40% alcohol, you start tasting the alcohol more and the other flavours are clouded a bit so aiming for just under 40%/80 proof is a common desired goal and often hear “ get down to 38-39%” ABV.

So a 40%/80 proof whisky or Scotch would literally only be a few drops of water to get below 40% while a cask strength 66% would require around 1.5oz of water added to 2oz to get there.

Some prefer a higher alcohol percentage in their Whisky and may only add water to cask strength versions.

Here’s an article and calculator to figure out levels of water needed to get to you desired alcohol percentage.

That is a good article, thanks for sharing. It gives a method for getting the whisky to the taste you like. It may be odd for an American like me, but to have a drink "Neat" is my taste. In the past I have had bartenders ask me "where are you from"? I would smile and say New Jersey, anyway too much ice just seems to spoil it for me. So no ice with a small splash of water does the trick. If it is a very hot day I might pass on the water and add one ice cube, but that is rare.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get a chuckle when this thread gets bumped in the AM. Either it was a rough night prior or someone is starting early...and if are going to drink all day, then you need to start early. :rocks:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The very wise and fellow Canadian, Drake once said “You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning…” and I live by that motto! Haha

Since @Uncle-A and myself are on the East Coast, it’s always closer to noon here!

Actually going out for lunch on a patio today with a friend I met 15 years ago at a restaurant with mutual friends and got her hooked on higher end wines. I’m STILL in her phone as Greg
(Wine Snob)!:roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the classic 86 proof is just about the right strength. If you start stronger and water it down yourself, you are hostage to the quality of your water.

Uncle-A

Skier
I think the classic 86 proof is just about the right strength. If you start stronger and water it down yourself, you are hostage to the quality of your water.
When I was a very young guy a friend's father taught me that when you spend good money on whiskey you don't use tap water. The distilled or filtered water is the way to go if you don't want to wreck good booze.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier

thoughtful and in depth post , spoiled somewhat by repeated misuse of "Cast" where you mean " Cask" . I'll grant you the concession of assuming this is a spell-check error , provided you get it right in future...;)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw the cask vs cast spellcheck issue on that post but after the time allowed! Correct on my later post. Sorry!

The problem is if you drink too much cask strength alcohol, you end up wearing a cast and that what my phone was probably thinking!:roflmao:

Have heard the issues with adding the “incorrect water” and they say it really depends on the drinking water in your area and what you’re used to. If you usually drink and feel your tap water is tastes fine, then use it. If you only drink your tap water after filtration or drink only bottled/distilled water, then those would be better choices to use.
Many distilleries even sell bottled water from that region/area for the ultimate pairing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@The Dad posted this on facebook and it kinda cracked me up.
The Whiskey Ginger drink I've been enjoying for some time now has a different name.
Grumpy Old Man

What about us women?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ginger beer is pretty much the ultimate mixer IMO. You can mix it with vodka, bourbon, Irish whiskey, tequila(itry a Tijuana mule with good tequila/mezcal, fresh lime and Reeds or Q ginger beer).

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid