• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Umps rarely apologize. I ref hockey sometimes. That's the code, never admit you were wrong!! Doesnt do any good.
I do recall the on ump apologizing to Armando Galarragas for missing a call at first and costing him a perfect game. The Ump (Jim Joyce) was literally in tears after he saw the replay and at the presser.

NSFW language in video

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Although the 9th inning Flores bad check swing to end the game is getting massive media coverage, in the 4th inning with score 0:0 Umpire Doug Eddings called two obviously outside high pitches a strike. Crawford had just singled so was on first with no outs. The first was with a 2-0 count that became 2-1 instead of 3-0. Next pitch was a ball that should have resulted in a walk. Instead he knowing how umpires were treating him, had to defend a wide strike zone and struck out making out 2. Strangely the video link showing the bad calls (probably sourced from MLB or ESPN) has already been removed possibly showing the MLB is trying to reduce controversy.

Bryant before the mid season trade from the Cubs had been plagued by continual bad inside balls being called strikes that someone analyzed in detail then put on news media showing umpire biases versus how they call for other players. MLB umpires have been in a back rooms war since baseball began experimenting with automated video pitch strike zone technology so have become rather sensitive to being embarrassed. What better way to get revenge on Bryant...

Both MLB and the NFL ought to make changes to more robotic systems where possible because in this instant replay era, there is no where umpires and refs can hide while making a few mistakes is certain. The check swing is a most difficult call to make as it happens so fast from a distance. Thus is a prime situation for an instant replay along with close calls on reaching bases. In the NFL, for years there seems to have been a bias of ref's to call defensive pass interference when a favorite big tv media team is losing late in games or a national TV audience game is lopsided. This also points to back door influences between NFL owner powers and their referees.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
and we are dealing with a very powerful umpire union.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Watching a pitcher hit is one of the tell tales of how hard the game is. Almost every pitcher in the majors was the stud player on their teams probably from Little Leauge all through college with many hitting over .500 and I am sure a good amount have all of their High School hitting records. In the MLB, they are just flailing at the ball when up there.
You’re certainly right about the stud player their entire life. Most of these pitchers hit the ball well in college and many also were position players. MLB is obviously a whole different level, but the main reason these pitchers don’t hit the ball well is they don’t work at it, by design. While the position players are taking thousands of swings, pitchers are taking a handful of swings and working on bunting a lot and mostly working on their pitching, which obviously makes sense. Just from a game management and strategy standpoint, I much prefer the pitcher having to bat. I didn’t like the DH role when they put it in to play and I still don’t like it.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Umps rarely apologize. I ref hockey sometimes. That's the code, never admit you were wrong!! Doesnt do any good.
Umps, some of them, constantly apologize. Joe West apologized.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Although the 9th inning Flores bad check swing to end the game is getting massive media coverage, in the 4th inning with score 0:0 Umpire Doug Eddings called two obviously outside high pitches a strike. Crawford had just singled so was on first with no outs. The first was with a 2-0 count that became 2-1 instead of 3-0. Next pitch was a ball that should have resulted in a walk. Instead he knowing how umpires were treating him, had to defend a wide strike zone and struck out making out 2. Strangely the video link showing the bad calls (probably sourced from MLB or ESPN) has already been removed possibly showing the MLB is trying to reduce controversy.

Bryant before the mid season trade from the Cubs had been plagued by continual bad inside balls being called strikes that someone analyzed in detail then put on news media showing umpire biases versus how they call for other players. MLB umpires have been in a back rooms war since baseball began experimenting with automated video pitch strike zone technology so have become rather sensitive to being embarrassed. What better way to get revenge on Bryant...

Both MLB and the NFL ought to make changes to more robotic systems where possible because in this instant replay era, there is no where umpires and refs can hide while making a few mistakes is certain. The check swing is a most difficult call to make as it happens so fast from a distance. Thus is a prime situation for an instant replay along with close calls on reaching bases. In the NFL, for years there seems to have been a bias of ref's to call defensive pass interference when a favorite big tv media team is losing late in games or a national TV audience game is lopsided. This also points to back door influences between NFL owner powers and their referees.

There was a fascinating article in Bloomberg this week about how the MLB is experimenting with automated umpires and all sorts of things to make baseball games “less boring.”

The author pegs the advent of Moneyball to the decline in action and longer games… where the stats say it’s better to get strikeouts, walks, and home runs than base hits and steals.

Last night Mookie Betts showed that small ball still wins games and is more exciting. I’ll take that over Duf’s HR any day.

Article here for reference: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ic-league-tests-tweaks-meant-to-save-baseball

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The author pegs the advent of Moneyball to the decline in action and longer games… where the stats say it’s better to get strikeouts, walks, and home runs than base hits and steals.
I wonder what a Dave Kingman would be worth in todays climate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we are on soapboxes..I personally have no problem with defensive shifts. Tell me what other sport does not adjust their defense for the offense they are playing? You know what? Start hitting the ball the opposite way. Slap bunt it the other way. You will start seeing the defense adjust back real quick.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There was a fascinating article in Bloomberg this week about how the MLB is experimenting with automated umpires and all sorts of things to make baseball games “less boring.”

Last night Mookie Betts showed that small ball still wins games and is more exciting. I’ll take that over Duf’s HR any day.

Article here for reference: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ic-league-tests-tweaks-meant-to-save-baseball
Automatic umpiring, 140 games, participation by all post-season teams when the play-offs start and no less than 5 game series. Step out of the box it’s a strike, take longer than x seconds between pitches, it’s a ball. Oh…and pitchers hitting only when the manager has them in the line-up instead of the DH. Right now that’s two maybe three guys (Fried, Ohtani and Baumgartner). There.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While we are on soapboxes..I personally have no problem with defensive shifts. Tell me what other sport does not adjust their defense for the offense they are playing? You know what? Start hitting the ball the opposite way. Slap bunt it the other way. You will start seeing the defense adjust back real quick.
Exact same soapbox I was on last week. A friend who played professionally — and now scouts for a living — said it’s the same Moneyball phenomenon. They’d rather swing for the home runs and chance the out instead of slap one down the left side for a base hit.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with having no problem with the defensive shifts. Offenses need to adjust.

But NBA has had rules limiting defense for years. Originally zone defenses were not allowed which was replaced with defensive 3 second rule. I don’t like it there either.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not for eliminating the shift. I‘m for reversing base path direction in alternating innings so as to not discriminate against lefties.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do recall the on ump apologizing to Armando Galarragas for missing a call at first and costing him a perfect game. The Ump (Jim Joyce) was literally in tears after he saw the replay and at the presser.

NSFW language in video
Didn't that happen with Verlander too?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never feel confident against the Astros so just hoping that Sale can pitch a quality 2 or 3 innings tonight. Its a big ask but keeping the win within striking distance is important. I don't wish any ill will but if Altuve or Bregman happen to twist their ankle on a base I could live with that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well analytics. Otherwise it’s tail wags dog with the book.
The role of the manager is very different these days. They don’t manage as much as implement the front office’s analytic nerd team edicts.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Birthday this week and got tickets for my family to go to game 5 on Thursday here in in LA. Hopefully nobody sweeps...
Super excited to experience playoff baseball in person.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What’s amazing to me is you hear all the time “he fouled that one off intentionally”, yet that same player can’t hit a pitch the other way, which is what makes the shift even possible.

James

Out There
Instructor
They just won’t change their swing. They think they’ll hit it over everyone or out of the park. Otherwise the shift wouldn’t work. I guess the numbers support it.
Ten strikeoouts by a pitcher used to be something. Now, meh.

Sponsor

Staff online