• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Well I had Astros in 5, lost that one, and I had the Phillies scoring less than 13.5 runs for the series, lost that one too. Oh well. It was an ok series for a non-partisan fan. That shot by Alavrez was awesome, just when it looked like the Phillies had a bit of momentum. I question(after is always easier) several of the Phillies pitching moves.

2023 world series odds are live
614A4D0E-B198-44B2-91F7-6179A63D3B4E.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I wouldn't have removed Wheeler after only one single
I agree, but in the end it’s hard to win scoring one run. Phillies were doomed, like the Yankees, by not hitting. They even got no hit, the first time since 1956.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree, but in the end it’s hard to win scoring one run. Phillies were doomed, like the Yankees, by not hitting. They even got no hit, the first time since 1956.
Astros pitchers were lights out in the whole post season. IMHO this is where relying on the home run and not manufacturing runs has it's shortcomings.

James

Out There
Instructor
Schwarber bunting and striking out with two strikes in the 9th sums up the Phillies offense.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They were inches away from good hits and even home runs in the last two games, but as they say, it's a game of inches.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Schwarber bunting and striking out with two strikes in the 9th sums up the Phillies offense.
Eighth.

I was like ‘what the f’ is he doing??’ when that happened! Did that come from the bench or somewhere in his own thought process?? I understand with the shift a leftie bunting down the vacant 3rd base line, but on 2 strikes??

Although, if he lays that down for a single. Then they get a bit of a two out rally going, we’d be calling him a freaking baseball genius!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Although, if he lays that down for a single. Then they get a bit of a two out rally going, we’d be calling him a freaking baseball genius!!!
You’re right, 8th inning. Just too depressing, pretty much was over there. Bunting to an open side doesn’t get you genius status. It should be obvious when you need 3 runs.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The Phillies blew it by not fashioning proper rally caps in the dugout..
1667831425972.png

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the Astros all the way b/c of their pitching. Phillies did ok but couldn't overcome the staff of the Stros. Hate the Stros, but I love Dusty and met him in DC a few years ago...nicest guy you'll ever meet. I'm happy for him.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had the Astros all the way b/c of their pitching. Phillies did ok but couldn't overcome the staff of the Stros. Hate the Stros, but I love Dusty and met him in DC a few years ago...nicest guy you'll ever meet. I'm happy for him.
Yes, I'm happy for Dusty Baker but there are a lot of nice guys that never get a chance at all for a championship or as many as he got. The Phillies were streaky all year and their three week run ran out after the 5 homer game. Until then their top pitchers were doing quite well and good enough to win it all.

Although I'm from Dallas, I was in college in Houston during the 1980 Phillies-Astros NL series, so I don't have any real hatred for the Astros despite the cheating scandal. I'm not a fan of particular players that were involved in that, but most of this squad had nothing to do with it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
We don't need a reminder every 5 minutes that he is "the Hall of Famer"

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I'm happy for Dusty Baker but there are a lot of nice guys that never get a chance at all for a championship or as many as he got. The Phillies were streaky all year and their three week run ran out after the 5 homer game. Until then their top pitchers were doing quite well and good enough to win it all.

Although I'm from Dallas, I was in college in Houston during the 1980 Phillies-Astros NL series, so I don't have any real hatred for the Astros despite the cheating scandal. I'm not a fan of particular players that were involved in that, but most of this squad had nothing to do with it.
I totally get that MOST of the players on the Stros that were involved are gone...but Altuve, Gurriel and Bregman were. Mostly, it was how pervasive it was across the leadership of the organization. Its done and behind us but I have no reason to root for the Stros and, again, was just pulling for Dusty. I believe baseball is more prone to the vagaries of chance than many other sports and just b/c Dusty has had multiple chances to win it all...a lot of things have to go right. They finally did AND the Stros used him to restore their credibility and he didn't seem to be able to get rehired after the Nats didn't renew him (I'm a Nats fan) so he took the only job that would hire him and won it all. I think that's a very cool vindication story.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I totally get that MOST of the players on the Stros that were involved are gone...but Altuve, Gurriel and Bregman were. Mostly, it was how pervasive it was across the leadership of the organization. Its done and behind us but I have no reason to root for the Stros and, again, was just pulling for Dusty. I believe baseball is more prone to the vagaries of chance than many other sports and just b/c Dusty has had multiple chances to win it all...a lot of things have to go right. They finally did AND the Stros used him to restore their credibility and he didn't seem to be able to get rehired after the Nats didn't renew him (I'm a Nats fan) so he took the only job that would hire him and won it all. I think that's a very cool vindication story.
I cannot disagree with any of what you said.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I would be very happy for Dusty has his first act as Astros manager been to permanently bench Buzzer Boy & Bregman.
He didn't, so I have zero interest in celebrating him as a WS winner.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be very happy for Dusty has his first act as Astros manager been to permanently bench Buzzer Boy & Bregman.
He didn't, so I have zero interest in celebrating him as a WS winner.
Cmon really? Seems like a strange thing to blame Dusty for....but whatever.