• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
With the deGrom signing in texas it got me thinking. Bochy is the Rangers new manager, Chris Young is(has been awhile) their gm. Has a gm ever been a player on a team managed by that teams manager before? Bochy long time Pads manager, Chris Young played his first year in sd in 06, Bochy’s last year before he headed to sf.

James

Out There
Instructor
Verlander to the Mets?? :yahoo:
Well they essentially traded deGrom for Verlander. I think there were genuine questions over whether he can stay healthy or will implode. I guess he didn’t give them a chance to come back with another offer?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Some interesting comments on deGrom/Verlander from David Cone and pals on his latest Toeing the Slab podcast:
{}

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I predicted 9 years at 333~342 mln to a Phils fan pal just a few hours ago

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting. It’s so ridiculous the baseball issue. Worse is their attempts to cover it up. Goes with their sponsor on umpire’s uniforms, FTX, now bankrupt.

Meanwhile,

chris_the_wrench

Skier
In other news.. Can we get a massive * here?

My Padres owners are part owners in Rawlings?!?! I didn’t know that.

I sure hope we got our more than fair share of juiced baseballs! How many of those ‘marked’ Judge balls were juiced?

I don’t remember this coming up during the lockout negotiations, that seemed like a missed opportunity for the players to have leveraged for a more consistent product?

James

Out There
Instructor
Judge didn’t hit a lot of cheap shots that barely made it out.
The whole baseball thing is maddening though, and just stupid. They should make the damn ball grippy enough for pitchers and settle on an interior weight/structure, whatever. This is as bad as the stupidity of the NFL and their sloppy football inflation protocol. But that you could change right away, baseballs need to be made ahead of time.

Why is it always Verlander quoted by the press on baseballs? The last time balls went flying out he was quoted too. <Insert Chris Russo rant on Verlander’s silence back then on Astros cheating scandal> Now that he’ll be in NY, he’s likely to get a bigger soap box.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Cyclops coming to MLB in 2024 if this goes well??

Im a staunch old skool fan, but I can get onboard with this. The amount of missed calls we’ve seen on replays over the past few years is hard to argue with. I can’t quantify it, but Im really amazed by the number of super close calls human umps can make on player tags/safe calls but then call a strike thats 6” off the plate.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Technology exists to get them off the field completely. It's why there is technology. Medicine, faster cars, etc. is just trickle down. Please...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
[on soapbox] And get rid of challenging calls. Either you get it right or go find another occupation. No reason for the Manager to have to challenge a call, every play should be getting reviewed at a central location. With every camera angle that we have now, there is no reason to miss ANY call. This goes for all sports, not just baseball.[/off soapbox]

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
[on soapbox] And get rid of challenging calls. Either you get it right or go find another occupation. No reason for the Manager to have to challenge a call, every play should be getting reviewed at a central location. With every camera angle that we have now, there is no reason to miss ANY call. This goes for all sports, not just baseball.[/off soapbox]
I am totally on the other side. I say human error is part of the drama of sports. If it weren’t for legalized gambling, this wouldn’t be under consideration. Now that leagues are in bed with gambling they need to add this to keep the public throwing money at them. Soon there will be reviews of players decisions to see if it was the right play or an attempt to throw the game. I have had enough of all of it. I watch more legion and AAABA ball now and save myself some coin.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If it weren’t for legalized gambling, this wouldn’t be under consideration. Now that leagues are in bed with gambling they need to add this to keep the public throwing money at them.
Sorry, I don't see how getting the call right has anything to do with gambling in fact it can reduce the tempation.

Sponsor

Staff online