• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can I just say, it was a pleasure to watch games at Wrigley and Camden Yards. The fans are knowledgeable and fun. If you ever get the chance to watch a hockey game at the Bell Centre in Montreal, you will experience a similar thing. Fantastic fans.
If you are into baseball then Wrigley is baseball nirvana. I thought it would be the same at Fenway but went a few years back and was greatly disappointed (expectations too high??). That place is a dump.
Camden yards is a modern day Wrigley.

The old Montreal Forum was an incredible hockey experience, a bit less for the Bell Center, but the fans are very knowledgeable, but then again, those canucks know their hockey eh.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you are into baseball then Wrigley is baseball nirvana.
Depends. Probably better since they won. Before, mass hysteria and superstition. Blaming a loss on missing a foul ball because of a fan. Yeah, that’s not why you lost.
Worth watching-

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Derek Jeter gave a fine speech on his Hall of Fame induction. Maybe it's just me, but when he spoke about how the whole family would join in baseball practice, "with my Mom and my sister Charlee shagging in the outfield," I thought to myself: "that must've been a little distracting"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Derek Jeter gave a fine speech on his Hall of Fame induction. Maybe it's just me, but when he spoke about how the whole family would join in baseball practice, "with my Mom and my sister Charlee shagging in the outfield," I thought to myself: "that must've been a little distracting"
For me, Baseball feels like family.

I will say, this story made me feel good about how someone can do something small to make a big impression.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Gotta applaud that. Freddie Freeman has always been a class act.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Truly atrocious. They win 13 in a row, then lose 10 out of 12.
Vlad jr is something.
Yeah they were worried about his weight. Last winter he went home and crushed it. Just great attitude. Wants to win, wants to be the man. Well respected by everyone. He's a keeper.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah they were worried about his weight. Last winter he went home and crushed it. Just great attitude. Wants to win, wants to be the man. Well respected by everyone. He's a keeper.
I wonder if the old man wouldn’t let him go in for dinner till he could hit a pitch bounced off the dirt.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I wonder if his grandmother is still bringing tons of delicious food to the clubhouse every day (evidently Vlad Sr's mom was very popular with his teammates back in the day).

James

Out There
Instructor
Teams are fun to watch when they string together hits or at least put the ball in play.

Refusal to change hitting technique even with half the infield open is I guess the metrics. It’s so annoying I prob would support a shift ban.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When it became clear that the red sox are sub elite my hope shifted to a one gamer against the yankees and this seems to be the probable scenario. This weekend will decide where they would play. If in Boston the tickets would be absurdly priced, but a good value opposed to Patriots vs Brady

If it all lines up either bos or ny can take tampa in the divisionals, then at least i hope for the white sox to knock out Houston. Though for entertainment value maybe the reinstated Cora vs Houston would be more fun.

James

Out There
Instructor
Be difficult for either team to take Tampa, but both Boston and NY are getting injured pitchers back.
Ny had great pitching till June. A closer with sub 1 era. They just couldn’t hit most of the time. Then the closer went to hell, coinciding with the sticky stuff nonsense.
They looked dead. Low point was maybe the 4 wild pitches in one inning for a collapse against Boston. But that whole series was actually much closer than the final outcome. Could’ve been 3-1 NY, even 4-0, but was 1-3. Not too long after that Boston went in the crapper, NY went on a 13-0 run. Then started loding.

We’ll see. I have very little faith in NY hitting. I think they had the most 1 or 2 run margin games in the league at some point. As a team they hit into an absurd amount of double plays. Lemahieu was ultra reliable for two years, now who knows.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Watching the Mets was fun for most of the season in the NL East world where 500 was "competitive" most of the season LOL. Time to jump ship to the 1st place AL East Rays since their Durham Bulls play right up the street, literally.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Phillies could have the NL MVP and Cy Young winners and not make the play-offs. Go figure. It didn't help that their slugging 1B went on the DL, their 3B prospect never learned to play defense, and it took them half a season to figure out CF and closer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Phillies could have the NL MVP and Cy Young winners and not make the play-offs. Go figure. It didn't help that their slugging 1B went on the DL, their 3B prospect never learned to play defense, and it took them half a season to figure out CF and closer.
Looks like the only time that happened was in '62 with the Dodgers and DonDrysdale and Maury Wills.

I am rooting for the Phils, but right now they are only 5 games over .500. Do you remember how they started the season? 5-0 so they have played .500 since the first week. I also don't give them much hope since they are at a run deficit for the season.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Be difficult for either team to take Tampa, but both Boston and NY are getting injured pitchers back.
Ny had great pitching till June. A closer with sub 1 era. They just couldn’t hit most of the time. Then the closer went to hell, coinciding with the sticky stuff nonsense.
They looked dead. Low point was maybe the 4 wild pitches in one inning for a collapse against Boston. But that whole series was actually much closer than the final outcome. Could’ve been 3-1 NY, even 4-0, but was 1-3. Not too long after that Boston went in the crapper, NY went on a 13-0 run. Then started loding.

We’ll see. I have very little faith in NY hitting. I think they had the most 1 or 2 run margin games in the league at some point. As a team they hit into an absurd amount of double plays. Lemahieu was ultra reliable for two years, now who knows.
They took Barnes' pulse the other day and he actually was dead.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Consolation for annual Mets depression somewhat remedied watching 30 for 30 "Once Upon a Time in Queens". I never knew about the chaos behind the scenes at the end of game 6 when they put the championship gear and champagne in the Red Sox locker room and even put Red Sox World Series Champions on the scoreboard before Mookie was done at the plate in the 10th

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Depends. Probably better since they won. Before, mass hysteria and superstition. Blaming a loss on missing a foul ball because of a fan. Yeah, that’s not why you lost.
Worth watching-
I thought the goat was to blame??

Sponsor