• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What’s up with infielders running half way to the outfield wall on popups these days? It’s completely ridiculous, makes for a difficult play, and is endangering both. If I were an owner I’d put shock collars on them to stop such nonsense.
Ending the infinite pitcher throws to 1st will force the 2nd baseman back to having to play closer 2nd base

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this align with team ownership owning/controlling a huge amount of real estate around the ball parks? Put people in their seats, put people in their bars, put people in their restaurants, put people in their hotels, put people in their condos. Maybe they don't run the actual businesses, but own the properties. Who cares about on the field performance or the actual quality of play, it's about the 'experience'? And if bigger bases make for great experience for a casual fan....

Anyone remember those huge safety hats pitchers were trying out maybe 7 or 8 years ago??(unrelated, kinda)
See Mayflower resort development. Cutting an extensive trail system down to 6,400 feet as they have won’t make for good skiing but will surely increase the value of surrounding homesites. It’s the skiing equivalent.

James

Out There
Instructor
Are they moving second base in?
Also, apparently it was never 90ft away anyway.

Other new old news- it used to be 6 balls for a walk, then 5. Pitchers at one time could take a running start like cricket. They also tried 4 strikes for an out, but batters weren’t allowed to call for a high or low ball. Each had there own strike zones. Lots of people hit .400 that year.

Current alignment-

5CFE8674-168D-415F-886A-A98999937691.jpeg

They moved it in to align with the outside of the square, like 1st and 3rd. Instead of the square going through the middle of 2nd base.

F764705A-1F6D-41C0-AC79-947C434AC97B.jpeg

I always thought it was simple!

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting story from 2018 on the infield dirt mix.

———————
During Game 5 of the 2008 World Series, a cold rain fell relentlessly on Citizens Bank Park. Just before play was suspended, with the Phillies leading, 2-1, Tampa's B.J. Upton took off for second base…

Each footfall raised a plume of water on the puddle-pocked infield, yet the Rays outfielder moved swiftly and freely, easily beating catcher Carlos Ruiz's throw.

"The ground stayed stable," Mike Boekholder, the Phillies' head groundskeeper, recalled recently. "Despite all that surface water, it stayed stable. I talked to Upton later, and he was amazed. He said, `It was the weirdest thing. You had all this water on the top, but I never lost traction.' "

Many others in baseball noticed, too. They wanted to know about the makeup of that infield, how it could withstand so much rain, why it remained playable. The secret, they would learn with some bemusement, was a dry rock found near Slippery Rock [PA]…
—————————-

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
fascinating stuff!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
fascinating stuff!
I really enjoy the ‘individuality’ of each baseball playing field for baseball vs the ‘cookie cutter’ of other sports. The obvious difference in outfield walls, foul ball territory and altitude/heavy air/etc are frequently discussed, but aspects like how high the grounds keepers mow the infield grass and at what direction they mow is entertaining to me. Now I can really think about the dirt and whats under the dirt.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Side topic, but The Duke Blue Devils were notorious for keeping Cameron Indoor Area at 90+ degrees for their home games. Away games for them are a special treat to play in 70 degree air. Visitors who don't practice in that atmosphere are sucking win and dehydrated by the last 5 minutes of the game..

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

———————
During Game 5 of the 2008 World Series, a cold rain fell relentlessly on Citizens Bank Park. Just before play was suspended, with the Phillies leading, 2-1, Tampa's B.J. Upton took off for second base…

Each footfall raised a plume of water on the puddle-pocked infield, yet the Rays outfielder moved swiftly and freely, easily beating catcher Carlos Ruiz's throw.

"The ground stayed stable," Mike Boekholder, the Phillies' head groundskeeper, recalled recently. "Despite all that surface water, it stayed stable. I talked to Upton later, and he was amazed. He said, `It was the weirdest thing. You had all this water on the top, but I never lost traction.' "

Many others in baseball noticed, too. They wanted to know about the makeup of that infield, how it could withstand so much rain, why it remained playable. The secret, they would learn with some bemusement, was a dry rock found near Slippery Rock [PA]…
—————————-
That two day suspension of play is referred to as the Reign Delay since the Phillies won the World Series after play resumed.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Side topic, but The Duke Blue Devils were notorious for keeping Cameron Indoor Area at 90+ degrees for their home games. Away games for them are a special treat to play in 70 degree air. Visitors who don't practice in that atmosphere are sucking win and dehydrated by the last 5 minutes of the game..
Isn't this just like the old Boston Gaaaahden where the Showtime Lakers claimed with 100% certainty the visitors locker room had the heat turned on and it was in the 80's while Larry, McHale, Parrish and DJ cooled down in the home locker room. Gamesmanship...lol

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

———————

—————————-

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought Judge was going to stall at 55 homers and stay there for quite awhile. He hit two tonight while going 3 for 4. One over the Green Monster and one to right center at Fenway. That puts him at 57. Looking good to break the AL record of 61.

579D4BFC-AD6D-4E8B-A8DD-5594E394EA71.jpeg

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Plus he tied the game twice and scored on what was ultimately the winning play. They're gonna need to make him a partner.

dm

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought Judge was going to stall at 55 homers and stay there for quite awhile. He hit two tonight while going 3 for 4. One over the Green Monster and one to right center at Fenway. That puts him at 57. Looking good to break the AL record of 61.

View attachment 178152
Season for the ages. That power with that AVG is remarkable!!!!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Another two today for Judge, now at 59. He may tie or surpass Roger Maris against the Red Sox. Maris hit number 61, beating Ruth’s record, against the Red Sox in 1961.

In six at bats today: fly out, homer, walk, single, homer, double. So 4 for 5. The fly out was a highlight reel catch.

It’s now a triple crown watch too, as he’s one point off the top average in the AL.
4B73D864-C0E1-4991-864D-CAA5E0C984A8.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another two today for Judge, now at 59. He may tie or surpass Roger Maris against the Red Sox. Maris hit number 61, beating Ruth’s record, against the Red Sox in 1961.

In six at bats today: fly out, homer, walk, single, homer, double. So 4 for 5. The fly out was a highlight reel catch.

It’s now a triple crown watch too, as he’s one point off the top average in the AL.
View attachment 178541
In a contract year. I see him betting on himself, 3 year, $165m

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
In a contract year. I see him betting on himself, 3 year, $165m

10 year $500 mil? First half a billion deal???

I follow baseball pretty closely, but I didnt notice his average was that high. Amazing combo!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
10 year $500 mil? First half a billion deal???

I follow baseball pretty closely, but I didnt notice his average was that high. Amazing combo!
IMHO, No need to go 10 years at this point. Not wiht these payrolls keeping to climb. 3 years/$165m then 5/$300m after that. The next question, Yankees, Mets or Red Sox? If the latter two, could be be 3/$200m

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
chris_the_wrench said:

I think it was only about a week ago that he was hitting .302; he's hit .536 in last 7 games, .491 in last 15 games
Last 30:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Forbes is saying that 10 years @ $40 million may not be enough to sign Judge. So the over/under =~ $300 million NPV?
They're also saying Stev Cohen is more like George Steinbrenner than Hal S is. IT's gonna be a wild negotiating season.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid