• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I've been looking at pow skis for a long time. I might not necessarily buy a pair yet. Retirement is somewhere within the next 3-1/2 yrs. with May of 2021 being the absolute latest I will continue to work. I'm now in a position where getting out west 3-4 times a season is doable. The ability to actually use pow skis with enough consistency to warrant the purchase is teetering on the fence for me. So, I've been looking and reading and researching and looking some more......

I am looking for obviously a ski with great float, but one that is very maneuverable. I won't be charging down spines at 70 mph. with it. This ski will reside in snow. Powder days and glades. They're making them all now so that they will hold some edge and blast through crud. The biggest differences I am seeing are in the flex patterns and the turning radii and the obvious different ideas about camber/rocker/reverse etc., etc. I don't mind a powder ski having a speed limit in the crud, piste, etc. I do want it to turn on a dime in a glade though. Approaching it from that vantage I have (for now) picked out two skis that on paper look like they will fit the bill nicely. There are a lot of great powder skis and I would love to own a bunch of them. I will likely consider some of the stiffer flex patterns and larger turn radii when I have stepped up by big mountain skiing a few notches. (I am from Michigan after all) Even then I would still want a playful powder ski in the quiver.....

So the Liberty Origin 116 @190 and 24m and the Armada ARV JJ 116 @192 and 19m ....... What can anybody tell me about their experiences with these particular skis?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other than some race skis, you will find very few skis that have the finish quality of Armada.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A friend of mine reps Liberty and loves 'em. She does charge hard, and she also teaches, so they can definitely withstand multiple types of beatings.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid