• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liberty Origin or Armada Tracer

gtmmisc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm debating between the Liberty Origin and the Armada Tracer 98 as a one quiver ski. I'm an expert skier but do not like going fast on groomers (but want to keep up with the speed demons in my group). I ski all conditions and terrain, including tight trees, chutes, bumps, glades, and crud to powder. I live in Florida and do 2-3 trips out west and will do a few hikes off the lift. I like the idea of a lighter ski that I can whip around, but need to be able to hold an ice edge in a steep chute. Any recommendation? I'm 190 pounds and 5'11". I'm debating the Origin 96 or 102 in sizes 176 or 182, and the Armada 98 in size 180. I've found both of these ski's (2021/22 model) with bindings under $500.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm debating between the Liberty Origin and the Armada Tracer 98 as a one quiver ski. I'm an expert skier but do not like going fast on groomers (but want to keep up with the speed demons in my group). I ski all conditions and terrain, including tight trees, chutes, bumps, glades, and crud to powder. I live in Florida and do 2-3 trips out west and will do a few hikes off the lift. I like the idea of a lighter ski that I can whip around, but need to be able to hold an ice edge in a steep chute. Any recommendation? I'm 190 pounds and 5'11". I'm debating the Origin 96 or 102 in sizes 176 or 182, and the Armada 98 in size 180. I've found both of these ski's (2021/22 model) with bindings under $500.
The Tracer 98 and Origin 96/101 would all have similar edge grip but the Origin series with it’s semi-twin tail and increased rocker would make tight area and bumps easier to pivot. The other big difference is the Liberty Origin series are a fairly light ski, the Tracer series is more of a 50/50 touring design so aimed at those wanting a ski they can occasionally tour with.

I’d look at the 180cm Armada Declivity 92Ti if you find it for a deal as it’s going to be a very solid ski with even better edge grip. It’s not going to be quite as loose or easy to pivot as the Liberty Origin but more precise feeling with it’s flatter tail and longer effective edge.

Origin line going to be more fun in tight spots and the Declivity better when things are firmer. Both would be good one ski quivers for out West.
Origin 96 would be my choice of the 2 Origins. Quicker edge to edge and still good with some new snow. The 101 would have a slight float advantage but sacrificing all other conditions. I’d rent an actual powder ski if you were on a trip and there was a big storm.

TS
G

gtmmisc

Skier
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

TS
G

gtmmisc

Skier
Should I get the 176 or 182 in the Origin 96?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 176cm would be a bit easier in tighter spots and the 182cm would be a bit more stable. Similar flex patterns between them(some skis jump quite a bit between certain sizes) and not much heavier in the 182cm. Did notice the mounting point of the 182cm is a bit further back, so you could move the 182cm binding mount up(forward) a cm which would make it feel it a bit shorter.

What length were some previous skis you’ve been on? Origins will feel like a shorter ski when flat because of their rocker and twinned tail.

TS
G

gtmmisc

Skier
I use to ski 210's back in the day, ha ha. I've always done rentals and seem to dance around 174-178. I've been skiing the Blizzard Rustler 10's at 172 and found them to work great and be the first ski I felt truly comfortable in a groomer at higher speeds. I'm at my max weight though at 190-195 and every model/tech is pushing me to 180+. I can handle a longer ski, the only place I want to make a sure I'm truly on the right size is on a steep icy chute. I still do them (pushing 50) and that seems to be the only time my stomach drops nowadays. I like quick fast turns.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding sizing for the origin, my wife and I both have the 101 and 106 which has more rocker. Fun tight terrain/playful/tree skis but we both wish we had gotten one size taller (im 5'10" and wish I had the 182, wife is 5'1" and likes the 158 but wouldnt mind 163)

Last edited:

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At the OPs height weight and skill level, 182 for sure. I am 5 foot 9 150 and expert skier and that is where I would be if my Origins were not my 50/50 travel ski. If all inbounds use, I would be at 182 on that ski.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
182 for sure. I'm about your weight, and an inch taller. Did a day on a 182 Origin 96 (before it had metal) a few years ago. Found it very manoeuvrable and would not want to go shorter. I wonder if it's going to have the edge hold that you desire, but I guess the addition of metal will help that aspect.

TS
G

gtmmisc

Skier
Throwing another option out there. what about the Elan Ripstick 96. Someone mentioned this one for its edge qualities on steep chutes. Really debating between something at 96 underfoot or at 100-102.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ripstick 96 are nice, easygoing skis but even less effective edge than the Origin 96 or 101 and lighter too so won’t be as good in variable snow.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own the 187cm Origin 96, and have skied the 182 and 176. you want the 182 for sure. I think that is the best performing length of the ski, they ski very short. I am very big, so needed the 187, but you will not. The 176 suffers from lack of edge grip. Put a 0.5 or 0.75 base bevel, 3 deg side edge bevel and you will have really good grip with the 182. The middle of the ski is stiff, and that is where the grip is coming from. My friends have 1.0 or higher base bevels and their skis are much more soft snow oriented. With a 0.5 base, its a great all mtn ski that is super easy to pivot, yet deals with firm groomers just fine.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was going to suggest the Origin 96 in 182 as well.
Funny thing is that I have the Rustler 10's in 188 and love them, but were a little long for tighter moguls/trees. Thus started looking for something shorter for these conditions. But I want to say that the Rustler 10's in 172 is most likely perfect for tighter moguls/trees.

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
I debated the Origin 101 vs Rustler 10 2024, ended up with Origin 101 for the day 2 post a storm here in Southern Colorado, for groomer I will ski either the Stokli Montero AX, or Black Crows Mirus Cor. Decided on Origin since it more playful like Mirus Cor.

Sponsor

Staff online