• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liberty V76 vs V82 vs V92, need an opinion

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Hi,

I was looking for a new ski find out Liberty has a great discount currently and decided to go for it but can't decide about the waist.
I'd say I'm high intermediate, still don't have a perfect carving skills and want to improve my carving game at the West Coast(Usually Mammoth), as you know Mammoth is hardly ever groomed. In this case should I go for 82 or 92? or a narrower ski like V76 are better skill builder?

5'10 160lb currently

Also is there any other difference than visual between 2019 and 2020 models?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would suggest starting here:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi,

I was looking for a new ski find out Liberty has a great discount currently and decided to go for it but can't decide about the waist.
I'd say I'm high intermediate, still don't have a perfect carving skills and want to improve my carving game at the West Coast(Usually Mammoth), as you know Mammoth is hardly ever groomed. In this case should I go for 82 or 92? or a narrower ski like V76 are better skill builder?

5'10 160lb currently

At your size and skiing Mammoth, I would concentrate on the V82 because you will want something wider from time to time and that won't be the V92

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Bump on Phil’s V82 suggestion for your situation. Good choice.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hey @rjski. I recently bought the V82 for my wife based on all the reviews and recommendations here (it sounds like a great ski!), as the narrower of a new two ski quiver, for no new up to several inches of fresh. So, I think you're on the right track with the V82 (as others have already pointed out).

I'm going to take hers to the shop to get mounted tomorrow. BTW, @Ron (as the resident Liberty aficionado) recommended to me to mount them on the line, in case you were wondering.

She currently only has a 100 underfoot, which has been very good at Mammoth when they get dumps, but something narrower should be really nice for less snow. Maybe we'll see you out at Mammoth and can compare notes on the Liberty's.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi,

5'10 160lb currently

I am also from California but ski at Tahoe, and was at your place few months ago. I was looking for a new skis to complete 94mm skis and improve my carving skills. I went for the V76 (5'9 160lbs; 172cm) but if you want a one ski quiver I would go for the 82mm if you stay on groomer and 92mm if you want a frontside oriented all-mountain. I don't know about you but I think that in California these skis are great in a 2+ skis quiver but not so great as a unique pairs (won't you be tempted to go off trail after a dump?).

Reactions: Ron
TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
hey @rjski. I recently bought the V82 for my wife based on all the reviews and recommendations here (it sounds like a great ski!), as the narrower of a new two ski quiver, for no new up to several inches of fresh. So, I think you're on the right track with the V82 (as others have already pointed out).

I'm going to take hers to the shop to get mounted tomorrow. BTW, @Ron (as the resident Liberty aficionado) recommended to me to mount them on the line, in case you were wondering.

She currently only has a 100 underfoot, which has been very good at Mammoth when they get dumps, but something narrower should be really nice for less snow. Maybe we'll see you out at Mammoth and can compare notes on the Liberty's.
Thanks for the recommendation and hope to see you guys out there but I couldn't understand what you mean by "Line", do you mean mount by default mounting line?

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
I am also from California but ski at Tahoe, and was at your place few months ago. I was looking for a new skis to complete 94mm skis and improve my carving skills. I went for the V76 (5'9 160lbs; 172cm) but if you want a one ski quiver I would go for the 82mm if you stay on groomer and 92mm if you want a frontside oriented all-mountain.
Actually I have 84 Stocklis as well but there's almost never a groomers in Mammoth so I feel like can't rely on 76.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the recommendation and hope to see you guys out there but I couldn't understand what you mean by "Line", do you mean mount by default mounting line?
Yes... he meant mount them according to the suggested mounting line... and not in front of or behind it. Some skis have a popular mounting point in front of or behind the line.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually I have 84 Stocklis as well but there's almost never a groomers in Mammoth so I feel like can't rely on 76.
I disagree, whenever I have skied Mammoth there always has been some good groomers. But what Mammoth in still known for is their wind buff and the 82 will perferm great there. I would still want something 100-105 to go with this...at your weight, something on the playful, finesse side of the scale.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I disagree, whenever I have skied Mammoth there always has been some good groomers. But what Mammoth in still known for is their wind buff and the 82 will perferm great there. I would still want something 100-105 to go with this...at your weight, something on the playful, finesse side of the scale.

This is where I hesitated on the v92. I was not sure if it would be wide enough for a Tahoe winter, even for this 90% on-piste skier. I want a directional frontside carver like the v92 for when my Vists are too narrow (77mm). Not going to hijack the OP’s thread as I am going to take this season to demo skis, including the v92 and maybe this season’s Evolv 100 with its increased VMT. @Ron really helped me think about this.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Yes... he meant mount them according to the suggested mounting line... and not in front of or behind it. Some skis have a popular mounting point in front of or behind the line.

in addition, the :manufacturers suggested mount point is the mid boot sole mark which can be found on your boots medial (interior) side of the boot. look for a tiny triangle or line.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
This is where I hesitated on the v92. I was not sure if it would be wide enough for a Tahoe winter, even for this 90% on-piste skier. I want a directional frontside carver like the v92 for when my Vists are too narrow (77mm). Not going to hijack the OP’s thread as I am going to take this season to demo skis, including the v92 and maybe this season’s Evolv 100 with its increased VMT. @Ron really helped me think about this.

I skied the V92 on many 6-8" days without issue.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You make a good point. I am thinking he is almost between sizes of the V82...but the V92 he could ski in the 172 because of bus 160lb. The choice is based is if he does or will get a wider ski...if one ski, the V92 is not a bad choice.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
You make a good point. I am thinking he is almost between sizes of the V82...but the V92 he could ski in the 172 because of bus 160lb. The choice is based is if he does or will get a wider ski...if one ski, the V92 is not a bad choice.
I would say that for Tahoe, the V76 is great in a 3 skis quiver (something like 76-95-115) the V82 in a 2 skis quiver (82-105) and the v92 as a unique pair. Of course it depends on personal preference and budget.

This is where I realize that I will need a wide skis:ogbiggrin: Tim's moment wildcat would be perfect but I can't afford it right now. I will see later in the season.

Last edited:
TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Hmm, 100 instead of 82? I have a feeling, would be little harder to improve carving with somewhere around 100, maybe I’m wrong.
Also how would you compare the character of v82 with wingman 86cti?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmm, 100 instead of 82? I have a feeling, would be little harder to improve carving with somewhere around 100, maybe I’m wrong.
Also how would you compare the character of v82 with wingman 86cti?
The V82 has much more shape to is so it is a better carver. The 86CTi is a better off piste ski and a bigger sweetspot due to the Amphibio design.

Sponsor