• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Lighter Weight, Lower Power E-MTB?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Gravel riders are groaders..so you know how they're approaching their cycling. MTB has XC'ers, DH'ers etc. Just a way to know your audience. E-biker is not very pitchy. :ogbiggrin:

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
Label's? No one should feel sorry for me on a big fat e bike. I don't feel one damned but cheated. I do have an analog buke, a sub 23 lb Stumpy S Works 27.5 but I like the fat ass e bike better. I started mountain biking at age 57. I don't have the body to take the hits for an all out learning curve. I am in better condition than most people my age but I would like to preserve that as much as possible. I gave up going for the big terrain like I do in skiing. From all my skiing, I do not have a healthy enough fear of downhill and end up making to many costly mistakes. Due to lack of common sense, I decided to take a different route. A route just as exciting to me but far more age appropriate. I chose to go the remote bikepacking route instead.

I quickly realized there were some things I needed to get over and beyond quickly. I no longer use colorful adjectives in front of kit items like "tent", "spork", "rain gear" and "dehydrated food". That is a matter of choice but a big one. I also quickly realized that anyone my age that I ask to join me quickly uses colorful adjectives to assess the situation.

Light bikes are great for day riding and technical single track but get pretty sketchy when loaded down with gear. They also are more prone to breakage when loaded down. I chose to go the big fat bike for a number of reasons. First, because of my build, I love a wide q angle bike. I like the way big tires roll and I like the added stability and load capacity of a big bike. I can build big e bikes that pedal unassisted like regular bikes. It's not easy and requires attention to detail and higher costs but it's doable.

I love my present bike but the range is limited to around 100-120 miles at 16-18 mph. The bike will carry a load but has limited space to carry and gets top heavy when I load it up. I want something that has a range of 250 miles plus at 16-18 mph and has the space to carry things in a more aerodynamic configuration. Present build costs would be about $8,500. This spring I would like to ride from Vegas to Fruita Co., 1,100 miles off pavement dirt. Requires some serious e bike range.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid