• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lightweight NTN for touring?

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I'm an ex-telemarker these days, not so much by conscious choice, but as a consequence of AT gear having improved by leaps and bounds while telemark touring gear has not.

Once in a while I check back to see if the picture has changed in the telemark gear world. I'm intrigued by the Meidjo 3, which has a release function (absolute requirement for me) and weighs in under my Tectons. But NTN boots still seem to be heavy and have limited cuff rotation. There are rumors something lighter could be coming - but I'm not holding my breath.

So I seem to be back in the waiting game – waiting for a boot/binding combo that would be enough of an improvement over my current 7tm / Crispi CXR combo to be worth the cost. And that current combo is heavy and clunky for touring, so when I go for a tour I never take it with me anymore.

I'm not sure what my question is here, probably just fishing for rumors about whether we'll have NTN touring boots that can compare with AT boots. (In my case, I'm not looking for ultralight stuff, just something closer to 1.5kg than 2 kg). Also would be interesting to hear about experience with touring on Meidjo 3

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Might as well start breathing again so you don't die, as a new light weight but robust NTN touring boot is not eminent. Scarpa's been rumored to be developing one but it's been 3 or 4 years since that rumor started up, and when asked about it the Scarpa reps just get all gloomy.

Sponsor

Staff online