• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lindsey Vonn Interview on YouTube

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
This interview with LIndsey Vonn and Graham Bensinger needs its own thread. Published in Ski Racing Magazine (digital) and posted on YouTube. Interesting, but maybe not surprising for those that follow ski racing (and as a result, her) closely.
Vonn's relationship with Shiffy and her life after racing are probably the most interesting to me. Hopefully when she gets on "Dancing with the Stars" she will feel better about herself - and Shiffy (the greatest skier ever).

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Didn't watched all of it (maybe I will sooner or later), but it's typical Lindsey for me, from this what I saw. It hurts like hell if someone tells she's not best and greatest. But on that part, I actually agree... Shiffrin is nowhere near greatest skier ever (yet). Lindsey (still) is.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
LV also seems to also take a swipe at "Team Shiffy" and being on her own "team". Not great timing to take this stance publicly against Shiffy and Eileen. This POV probably stems from the work she said she is now doing for USST. Frankly, I don't remember LV being so integrated when she was at her peak but will let others weigh in on this. I seem to remember her having her own team and people.
Additionally, this separate team is now the model for the uber-elite, globe-winning technical skiers - seems less prevalent for speed skiers. Even when the home country has a super strong team and culture, the best tech skiers in the world have their own team (Hirscher and Kristoffersen for example).

Would love to hear Eileen Shffrin's comments on the interview ;).

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah that's sort of joke. Lindsey telling someone should be more integrated in team, while she was anything but that. Even last season or two, when she was pretending to be more "integrated" in team, it was anything but that. I still don't buy this one person teams though, even though most of top athletes are that nowadays, I would still say right way to go for so many reasons is bigger team, but with way more personalized approach. It can be done without much of an issues, just different mentality and it would easily work, but things are not so easy to change, and what looks perfectly clear for me as outsider nowadays, is really hard to understand and even harder to implement or change for people who are deep into this for years or decades.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Totally respect LV for the champion she is/was. She put herself through a lot to be GOAT!

& that's all I need to say about that ogwink

James

Out There
Instructor
Should we ask Mancuso about Lindsey?

Here’s all the segments-

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW5qT4HIAd1be8fR6i_9gGUGOejbnhMzE

She’ll probably get over it, but her comment on why she doesn’t ski now - “Is it fun for a Formula 1 driver to drive a Prius?”

I would think a Formula 1 driver could have a good time driving almost any car on a closed track. They wouldn’t be sweating to death for one.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Should we ask Mancuso about Lindsey?

She’ll probably get over it, but her comment on why she doesn’t ski now - “Is it fun for a Formula 1 driver to drive a Prius?”

I would think a Formula 1 driver could have a good time driving almost any car on a closed track. They wouldn’t be sweating to death for one.
I think the gap between Mancuso and Lindsey is a lot bigger than gap between Vonn and MS. Personally, I like Vonn more than MS, mainly because of her mentality (perhaps Vonn is more open about it than MS). It feels like a comparison between MJ and James. Statistically, LeBron will be better than ML, but MJ represents everything I want to see in a sport hero.

And for skiing, I think she wants to walk away from racing because right now, skiing is racing fore her, there is no other type of skiing. Maybe in a year, she'll enjoy skiing again with her family, friends, etc.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Different styles. Vonn is more overt and emotional with a bit less of a filter. Shiffrin is much quieter and introspective with a more tactful response. I used to think she was more closed off but understanding it’s more just personality and situational comfort.

Shiffrin does post some wonderful thoughts and perspectives, you can clearly see how her mind works much differently than Vonn’s.

Vonn is flashy and craves the limelight and external praise. Finding Shiffrin doesn’t quite seek those same things and much more driven internally.

Two wonderful skiers but finding them to be very different personalities.

On the ski end, how often does one see LV free ski and ski for pure fun? Couldn’t be more opposite of Mancuso on that topic.

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
I believe that LV is one of the greatest athletes of our time. The way she overcame severe injuries to return to the top of her sport sets her apart. Watching her gym workouts removes any doubt of her absolute dedication. Would love to take a run with her!

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty sure MS works just as hard as Vonn, but MS is more private and in this environment, I don't blame her. I think Vonn has what I love in an athlete, the mentality of pushing their body and mind to the extreme, like she said about driving over the cliff with gas pedal all the way down. It's like the debate between Messi and Ronaldo. I'm on Ronaldo's camp, lol!

Sponsor

Staff online