• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liquid WAX not allowed on planes

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I flew to Salt Lake yesterday and am closing out my season at Snowbird. It is warm so I packed to cans of Swix warm weather liquid paraffin. Packed it in my ski bag which I checked. Get to snowbird open my bag and the wax is gone with this note in its place
image.jpg

Frustrating since online it says that small aerosol cans are allowed on planes and these are quite small. :(

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I flew to Salt Lake yesterday and am closing out my season at Snowbird. It is warm so I packed to cans of Swix warm weather liquid paraffin. Packed it in my ski bag which I checked. Get to snowbird open my bag and the wax is gone with this note in its place
View attachment 133769
Frustrating since online it says that small aerosol cans are allowed on planes and these are quite small. :(
Possible the inspector just couldn't read, or didn't bother to. Distinction without a difference, I know.

I had a can of Easy-on in my ski bag and it made it both ways. I think it's roulette.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am flying out tomorrow and including a leg to ski in Colorado. I was thinking about to pack a can of Liquid Paraffin...not now.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
arbitrary nonsense. Any aerosol can has similar risks, I carried on a can of shaving cream just last week.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I agree, had this been in my carry on probably would have been fine as it was pretty small and I could have explained it. Also think my checked bag was spot checked so also probably a random thing, so feel free to take a chance if you are feeling lucky.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As I understand it with aerosols it’s about the volatility of the propellant. TSA sees hundreds of common consumer products a day but it’s very likely they’ve never seen your wax before. If it looks even vaguely unfamiliar or industrial, they usually err on the side of caution and toss it. I once made the mistake of putting away some things in my garage before I went on a trip including paint thinner. Despite washing my hands thoroughly with dish soap, there were enough traces of VOC 4 hours later on my hands and thus, my luggage, to trigger the “ special unit” inspection. I almost missed my flight...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As I understand it with aerosols it’s about the volatility of the propellant. TSA sees hundreds of common consumer products a day but it’s very likely they’ve never seen your wax before. If it looks even vaguely unfamiliar or industrial, they usually err on the side of caution and toss it.

^This. And not just the propellant but the solvent that keeps the wax in liquid form.

(I'm honestly not sure how anyone is surprised by this - there is a can of WD-40 in the not approved display in most airports. Boeshield T-9 will also get tossed. Shaving cream uses a water based solvent, not even close to being the same thing.)

Briko/Maplus were pretty up front and labeled their cans as not-for-airplanes, which also meant that they had to be ground shipped to you.

This is one of the biggest reasons I stocked up on Vola paste instead of Toko & Swix sprays.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
my checked bag was spot checked
My ski bag is pretty much ALWAYS "spot" checked. The TSA slip inside is one giveaway. Another is the disarray of the contents. The particular bag I have has a non-intuitive closure, which they always screw up. Eventually I wrote "OPEN THIS END" in big letters with marker right on the bag. Since then much better.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yea no aerosols, but a carveout for medical or small amounts of toiletries aerosols.
Thats the key difference if its a toiletry/medical need
Everything else is nonessential. The key is if its flammable.
They're going to assume all aerosols its flammable, unless its like marked all over with non-flammable.
So the burden of proof is on proving its nonflammable.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My ski bag is pretty much ALWAYS "spot" checked. The TSA slip inside is one giveaway. Another is the disarray of the contents. The particular bag I have has a non-intuitive closure, which they always screw up. Eventually I wrote "OPEN THIS END" in big letters with marker right on the bag. Since then much better.
For sure, Ive had the slip in every trip also. I've also taped on a big "open this end" note.
With my db bag , also if it loses a special clip you are SOL, so I also added cheap carabiner clips so that detachable clip doesn't get lost.

I stopped trying to assume there is this sense of privacy or that luggage is treated with whiteglove care. but instead trying to understand and make it easy for the guy making entry level government wages.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One if the last times I flew a woman was KNITTING. Those needle are big.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My mother lost a key-chain fob swiss army knife at the airport. It had a pair of scissors, a pair of tweezers and a tiny blade. It was smaller than my little finger. Yeah, I guess I could kill someone with that knife, but if anyone could kill a person with that tiny knife, they could kill them without it.
Color me unsurprised.

IIRC some of the 2001 hijackers used box cutters as weapons. Tiny blades.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My mother lost a key-chain fob swiss army knife at the airport. It had a pair of scissors, a pair of tweezers and a tiny blade. It was smaller than my little finger. Yeah, I guess I could kill someone with that knife, but if anyone could kill a person with that tiny knife, they could kill them without it.
IIRC some of the 2001 hijackers used box cutters as weapons. Tiny blades.

I dunno that metric of "preventing murders" is a pretty low bar.

There seems to be quite a lot of entitled fliers these days+ because airport rules are it's 5'oClock everywhere, there's loads of alcohol in the mix

So sure likely nobody is going to die, but just because all the situations ended up with "well nobody died" and the plane didn't get hijacked, doesn't mean there was no need for improvement.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January