• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liquid WAX not allowed on planes

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
heh, if you think the propane used as propellant in shaving cream is non-flammable, do some experimentation. I still say the tsa uses arbitrary nonsense to judge what is ok and what is not. The trip I just took had completely different procedures and standards in the airports I was in, one had us leave shoes on, one off. One had liquids out of bags, one left in. One had electronics out and separate, one left in bags. My wife accidently had a razor with her on one flight, that was apparently no problem. Mayyybe this is a strategy to keep the badguys guessing. I think it's more likely arbitrary nonsense based on the mood of the supervisor at the moment.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
The last couple of recent flights (out of Newark, NJ), the TSA told us to remove anything edible from carry-ons and personal items and place them in the bins to go through the x-ray machines. When did that become a thing?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last couple of recent flights (out of Newark, NJ), the TSA told us to remove anything edible from carry-ons and personal items and place them in the bins to go through the x-ray machines. When did that become a thing?
I had that happen a couple of times before Covid. My impression is that blocks of hydrocarbon-rich food look too much like blocks of other hydrocarbon-rich materials on X-ray. (And it is easire just to say "food" than making distinctions.) But it is not a uniform policy. Didn't happen yesterday, and I had a few Kind bars left over from skiing in my bag.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
IIRC some of the 2001 hijackers used box cutters as weapons. Tiny blades.
From a policy standpoint, that's worrying about the last incident. Nobody is successfully hijacking an airplane with a box-cutter at this point, unless they can get through a hardened cockpit door. But it shouldn't come as much of a surprise, either, given that the security theater has been going on for almost two decades now.

Good warning on the waxes, though. I'd not thought of that, and I'm moving more towards a liquid wax-based program due to time savings. I'd note that the first Toko seller I pulled up does have a "this item can only be shipped by ground" notice on the page; for a longer trip, it would probably be easy enough to make a best-guess purchase and have one can shipped directly, knowing that I most likely wouldn't be able to bring it back.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have had no issues with the roll on liquids.
Never tried the aerosol ones as I assume those would be a no go (and also suggested not to fly with them by the manufacture).

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Years ago I saw the back side of Airports, along with security. What is scary is that what the public see’s and what actually exists are two different realities unfortunately once you know you realize its all a front for the public.

I’m not saying that there is no security but it isn’t as secure as you would expect.

What I can’t share are the issues as they let those that are looking for this information know how to get by them.

For me that fact that they check and ensure that the rules are followed is a good thing even if it makes life a little difficult for us. Better that the bad ones are kept guessing as to what is happening to discourage any negative action.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Each TSA station is different. You wouldn't think they are but they are. I am an Airframe & Powerplant mechanic and travel a lot repairing business jets around the world. Each airport authority is different as well. What is ok in one place will get you face down in other. The folks at sky harbor are very tough if you are on the ramp but the same actions at Jeffco will get you smile and dont do it again response. TSA only know a few things and at the end of the day, if they aren't sure, they pull it. If you pack something that is not normal, get the MSDS and wrap it around the can with a rubber band. It might help. It might not, depends on person inspecting it.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I know someone who got through screening with a pocket knife in her carry-on. She didn't know it was in the bag. It had a handle shaped like something that in no way resembled a pocket knife handle, so on the X-ray it looked like maybe an amorphous blob, but not like a knife, so they let it pass. She discovered it in her bag after reaching her destination and left it with her hosts so that it wouldn't get her in trouble on the return trip.