• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Today was much like yesterday, although a bit harder refreeze. Mineral was down from a power outage for most of the morning, this made the crispy frontside the only option. The Peruvian side was noticeably softer like always. There was a bit of a breeze and high clouds that slowed down the softening even further. Even with Mineral closed the lack of crowds made ski on lifts and walk on trams all morning long. We're supposed to get a shot of snow tonight through tomorrow, hopefully this will help prolong the season. Today was the last day for Gadzoom, it was getting thin in spots down on the lower mountain over there.

I only skied till a bit after noon today, went home and watched the Jazz get killed.

Cat Crew Cutoff has a bare spot choke point, heh.

72E3D8EB-73E9-41B7-B3FF-7C8DB0A47B18.jpeg

Superior is getting bony.

784590C2-8D77-4925-B1EC-0B0E6DAB55A9.jpeg

Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Alta skied pretty good yesterday - morning ice patches disappeared around noon or so and the whole mountain skied well. never really got too wet . just a perfect amount of slush to push around. We got a high boy lap in too!

37 and raining in the valley this morning. the white stuff is dropping up top!

keep it coming, im not done yet!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Spring is in full effect. Got to the top early today, headed into Mineral. The Eastern facing stuff was just starting to get punchy, turns needed to be slow, things forced would have meant certain crashiness. We spun two laps back there before heading to the frontside. Zoom is closed but you can still ski down there and hop on the shuttle that is still running. Early morning shuttle runs work out well, the corn on the lower mountain was divine. The cats that groom the mountain come back down that side and lay down a nice harvestable track the entire way down to the cat crossover.

Regulator was skiing well early, we hit that up a few times as well. The hill started to get a bit sticky about 1:00, anything less than vertical would give you the grabs. I'm not putting up much hope for the extra weekends they were talking about. It's supposed to be warm here every day for a while, I don't see them open much beyond next weekend.

I skied till just before 2, then chilled on the bypass with friends. The scene was pretty festive, springtime has it's benefits.

Went poopfishing with the Unknown Carpic Friday night, urban bonefishing at it's best.

06CB5BC4-3BC8-4842-83B2-27C41DC344BC.jpeg

Coverage is good, plenty of snow.

8B269153-52D7-474D-9AEA-61DF2585F561.jpeg

Tram overhead in the quiet Peruvian valley.

A71B1FED-9812-44C0-B494-A1E616F01CEE.jpeg

Hit up the favorite 4/20 friendly spot on the hill, have to ride a shuttle to get back.

0D8BE92C-E6A3-4CFC-9AB1-BBECEA72E9A1.jpeg

Hula hoop skills were elevated.

19FD693A-EADB-4C41-B5A3-3C0A6ADEF726.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
The snow recedes daily, We did another shuttle lap today, our tracks from yesterday were completely gone. Some chocolate chips are starting to show up in high traffic high sun areas. We haven't had a refreeze so Mineral is slushy right from the get go. Most springs you have to follow the sun around, this season you can ski wherever you want at any time. I got to the bypass around 9:10 this morning and was dismayed to find they'd taken down the prefered parking signs. The bypass was filling up fast but luckily I found a spot down low where someone must've changed their mind.

First tram ride up I asked the op if next weekend would be it and he affirmed they were hoping to at least make it till then. It looks like extra weekends are a no go. It's supposed to be pretty warm all of next week with a possibility of rain/snow for next weekend. I'd much prefer sun for closer but you can't control the weather.

Looking down a slushy Powder Paradise.

B0E3E817-D9A6-43F4-9C88-9F28BDDEEC06.jpeg

Listened to an interesting story on NPR a couple weeks ago. https://www.npr.org/2018/04/22/604580743/the-rocky-mountains-have-a-dust-problem

Here you can see it in action.

8AFD5A19-7F38-41B3-B358-99762A15CC5F.jpeg

This was parked near us in the lot, great place to boot and deboot.

2CE8460E-285E-4BC2-A361-A62D6573382B.jpeg

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Sounds like last hurrah time this weekend! luckily its supposed to rain in the valley so i should be able to get away from the honey do backyard project. time to rally the troops

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
you were right BobMc - Snowbird officially announced this is the final weekend - I'm holding on to hopes of skiing some fresh stuff

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
you were right BobMc - Snowbird officially announced this is the final weekend - I'm holding on to hopes of skiing some fresh stuff

I'll be up both days, probably hang in the lot in the afternoon. Silver BMW E-46 330xi, and you should know what my ski clothes look like, say hi if you see me. I'll probably be parked in the pond lot or the valet area (which they turned into prefered parking now).

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Winter returned, meanwhile the end is near.

Got up early in time to be on first tram. I arrived to the line at 8:20 or so, to find minimal pressure. I think there were 10 people in line when I got there, I think I knew about 7 of them, heh. Driving up the canyon was probably the worst I've seen it as far as fog/clouds. I'm glad I know the road pretty well cause it was impossible to see much more than directly in front of your vehicle.

It rained most of the way up the canyon and we had variations of rain/graupel/snow at the base for most of the day. It seemed to turn to harder snow later in the day. The wind was a bit brisk up top and it definitely had a winter feel. There was about 4 inches up top for first tram. It was a bit heavy but with the frozen layer underneath it was exactly what the doctor ordered. We mostly did top to bottom runs today as the snow was decent all the way down and the tram was walk on. You'd find the occasional grabiness but for the most part the temps kept everything skiing pretty well. Mineral and the Road to Provo never opened, hopefully tomorrow they open for a closing day treat.

We skied to about 1:00 and hung in the pond lot for a bit, the tailgating environment wasn't real conducive and I hope tomorrow is better.

Rain worries on the way up.

E75CD5A3-7F9D-45AA-99B0-F7C13DDD9330.jpeg

When you're 6yo and you rip you can ride with the op, he's a cute affable little lad. https://www.instagram.com/terjetornado/

E09AB122-B9FF-4764-9F60-8357442E1F37.jpeg

Feed the birds...

DCED766C-5F07-4FE3-B4D4-EC69F26D0C7E.jpeg

Cloudy Superior.

A0EDDC29-3383-4251-8AC2-467A565BF675.jpeg

There was a grouse hanging out just above the bridge to the tram, it was quite friendly.

7A0F0682-E57B-4E8E-9CFC-753CBC3A1F6D.jpeg

Parked like a rockstar this morning.

6877FF3A-FD8F-47EF-9DC6-3DE558FC5725.jpeg

The Snowpine renovation moves on.

EBD93A37-BEC5-4BB3-B7FF-18B9C75E484D.jpeg

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw that grouse (or his brother) in April hanging out under a tree to the side of the Cirque Traverse! About middle Cirque. It was blowing pretty hard and he was seriously hunkered down.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Wow, what a day!

I got up early today, headed up and pulled into the lot at 8:00, not much traffic or pressure for parking spots. I joined the tram line at 8:15 and was second in line at that point, Vince beat me by a couple minutes. We waited the two hours before they lifted us off at 9:00, ;). As hoped for both Mineral and the Road to Provo were opened from the get go. It was a tough decision up top which direction we would go, my buddy Mike split off from us and headed to Cham Bowl, Travis, Dylan and I headed to the Knucklehead Traverse.

Other than the patrol track (And Craig Gordon) we were first group out there, we had our choice of fat lines. We hit up an early line first off and headed down to Little Cloud and went back for another lap. The second time we still had our choice of lines but we went all the way out to Come From Behind Gully. They'd only claimed 4 inches in the last 24 but it sure seemed deeper than that out there. It wasn't all up in your grill blower but definitely pleasurable soft turns. After those two laps I got a text from my buddy Dan, known as Dantheman on TGR. There's a reason they call him Dan the Man, we spun a few more laps on Little Cloud and watched him hit 30 footers in the Rastas like it was nothing. It always seems like the most unassuming folks throw down the biggest.

Most of the morning was pretty sunny and the snow set up a bit, but it still skied well. Around noon clouds moved in and stunted any stickiness that was appearing. We ran a few more tram laps and a dip into Mineral. Our last run down Travis wanted to hit the pond skim and he did it with style. I'd parked down by the tram center in rockstar land, I debooted and moved up to the bypass road to spend the last of the ski season. I hung with Travis for a bit, he left and my buddy Mike came down, hung with him a bit and he left. I moved higher up the bypass and found my buddy Ned's car. I hung there for about a half hour when he came walking up the road.

He was carrying one ski, pants blown apart on one side and a look on his face that told me I wasn't sure he knew where he was. He hit the pond six times yesterday, came in today for the first time with a lot of speed, hit the water, split the skis and starfished from there. He hit the water so hard his pants blew out and his pass in a sleeve pocket cut holes in his jacket. I loved his quote, "Live by the pond, die by the pond."

Second in line, skis on the wall.

F6066AEF-F76B-425C-813D-85DC26D0D79D.jpeg

First run canvas.

0C34A13B-761E-4B25-B038-39F679EA8325.jpeg

Dylan stands with our lines behind him.

D32AFF9A-86B4-4EAC-9086-0FD4B6181AAA.jpeg

Travis and I had another great season, the snow could've been deeper in the early season, but it was all good. It was fun incorporating a little tele skier into our clique, Dylan progressed well this season.

Come From Behind Gully Instagram video action.

54029A62-ED2A-4895-B7D4-69AFA6B0FEE0.jpeg

Ned looking a bit haggard.

254E1B73-4CB6-4E7D-AA55-DA4650760FED.jpeg

Holy shit, my pass cut my coat!

71272E11-94AE-46C3-9B24-69656D4DAA28.jpeg

Blown out pants.

2BC1776A-A23D-4E01-B020-D14ED64401CB.jpeg

Things look a lot greener on the way down this time of year.

C226BA2E-A54C-4D38-B2D8-24B66A9134AC.jpeg

I'll probably have a bit more shots and videos as the week goes on.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, seriously regretting my decision to NOT ski there yesterday!

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow! What a closing day, great pictures and videos @BobMc. Are any of you doing to be touring up Snowbird or Alta now that they are closed?

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Wow! What a closing day, great pictures and videos @BobMc. Are any of you doing to be touring up Snowbird or Alta now that they are closed?

I put my skis in the garage and all my gear in the front closet, I'm done. I'll be fishing and camping from here out, till next hopefully October. I am looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday, I don't get to do that much during the ski season.

Here's a few clips of Dantheman and Travis.

Travis has a few pics on his Instagram as well, not sure if they'll be scrollable here.

Edit, I guess not, click through my Instagram to @travieb801 to see his pics.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It's been extremely hot down in the valley lately, today we took a foray up to Snowbird to get out of the heat. They're doing some interesting construction this season. There are two pedestrian bridges being constructed, one stretching from the tram center to the Cliff Lodge and the other from the tram center over the Chickadee loading area to the base of the Peruvian lift. I would imagine they'll be increasing the width of the tram deck on the North side of the building to enable folks to either take the tram line or walk around to the Peruvian? Or maybe run a cable down the middle and require folks to stand single file, not sure?

Here's a concept of it: https://www.snowbird.com/improvements-2/

Over the last decade or so Snowbird has greatly increased their off season activities. Summer is every bit as busy as winter, between the various "rides" they now have up there and the increase of mountain biking the place is hopping. On one hand I like that they are busy and can continue to offer me cheap season passes, on the other hand it always kinda ticks me off when they beg for more terrain and favorable land swaps while claiming poverty.

That said, it was pretty nice up there today. With my season pass I get two all day activity passes, we brought the 6yo up and he had a ball. They have a number of inflatables and others that kept his attention for hours. We took a Peruvian ride, walk through the tunnel and hike back up to the saddle as well. There's a reason I moved here 23 seasons ago, and it'll be tough to leave here. The Wasatch truly is a special place.

A63B54B4-5CF1-4F49-9EF0-7C525222324B.jpeg

839860BB-CC9D-4FE5-BB27-A95E11922980.jpeg

BF3CD398-6AD4-448E-9AC2-01062523D560.jpeg

7DED6B23-F525-478A-8F7A-4B77D75DE9D7.jpeg

DA694559-1393-4ADF-887C-BBF5C522E0F2.jpeg

1F12837A-4061-465C-BCC5-9A11546C79E0.jpeg

FDBAFFD2-37FB-4BFF-B24C-61B2FD65E358.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid