• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Professional Golf LIV, DP and PGA merge!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Just slowly shaking my head in a negative manner! All the past discussion and litigation between the PGA Tour and LIV golf over monopoly ends in the creation of a world golf monopoly. No more good gas, no more bad guys...it's just you and me and we agree?
How does this come about and the PGA Tour members find out via instagram? I thought the PGA tour was owned by the players....how does Tim Finchem cut this deal? BTW, the PGA Tour ( the guys on TV) and the PGA of America (your local pro) are independent of each other.
For me, the PGA Tour brand just took a major hit (pardon the pun). It will be a great source for discussion by the many talking heads to rant about 1 week prior to US Open...Hmm, I wonder if the Saudi's can buy the US Golf Association and the R&A of Greet Britain.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
As we say it'll be yesterday's chip paper soon enough. I might have more respect for some of the PGA pros if this is enough for them to walk away but I suspect they won't because $ and achievements. Otherwise more money more product until the market gets sick. I'm not interested enough in golf to actively follow anything beyond the majors and the Ryder Cup but I can see there might be benefits to having 2 alternate subbrands PGA World Tour for your grandpa's golf and waxing lyrical about yardage stats and LIV for the punk rock hi energy TikTokable formats perhaps y'now even bringing in women into mixed events.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Just slowly shaking my head in a negative manner! All the past discussion and litigation between the PGA Tour and LIV golf over monopoly ends in the creation of a world golf monopoly. No more good gas, no more bad guys...it's just you and me and we agree?
How does this come about and the PGA Tour members find out via instagram? I thought the PGA tour was owned by the players....how does Tim Finchem cut this deal? BTW, the PGA Tour ( the guys on TV) and the PGA of America (your local pro) are independent of each other.
For me, the PGA Tour brand just took a major hit (pardon the pun). It will be a great source for discussion by the many talking heads to rant about 1 week prior to US Open...Hmm, I wonder if the Saudi's can buy the US Golf Association and the R&A of Greet Britain.
the R&A is based in Scotland, but is the governing body of golf everywhere outside the US and Mexico, no?

LIV and the PGAT were always going to come together in some way at some point. LIV was never going to make money in its current format, and the PGAT must have been losing money with the drastically increased purses (or at least, making less). Not sure this particular deal moves forward (still so many details to work out), but one will be made soon.

Curious if this impacts the Ryder Cup 2023 ... Do the PGA of America or DPT World Tour continue to keep LIV members at arms length until the deal is finalized, or do we suddenly see waivers of some sort so Sergio, Poults, Westy etc. are around? On the US side, DJ, Koepka, Bryson and Talor Gooch were already eligible as they had been granted PGA of America membership through 2024, but Zach Johnson had been pretty on the fence about whether he'd consider LIV members as captain's picks. I'm betting there's no change until an agreement is finalized and LIV members apply for reinstatement, but ... Ryder Cup is a big deal so idk.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With all the $$ that the PIF has I don't think they give a rats ass about losing an advertiser or three. These are our terms, if you want exposure for your product and the naming of an event, this is the way its going to be.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
With all the $$ that the PIF has I don't think they give a rats ass about losing an advertiser or three. These are our terms, if you want exposure for your product and the naming of an event, this is the way its going to be.
Only game in town...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does this come about and the PGA Tour members find out via instagram? I thought the PGA tour was owned by the players....how does Jay Monahan cut this deal? BTW, the PGA Tour ( the guys on TV) and the PGA of America (your local pro) are independent of each other.
*Edited the quote for the right guy*

I heard an interesting take on this on the radio today while heading to the coures to practice.
The person interviewed (can't remember who it was) said that he's shocked that there were no leaks on this because its such a huge thing.
His take is that it wasn't going to be announced just yet but they found ot it was going to get leaked so they jumped the gun to get ahead of it.

The problem is, its feeling half baked right now and this is NOT getting ahead of it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
His take is that it wasn't going to be announced just yet but they found ot it was going to get leaked so they jumped the gun to get ahead of it.
I could definitely keep my mouth shut tight if there was over a hundred million dollars for me on the line to do so..

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s like this guy cooked it up last year-

IMG_1020.jpeg

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
It just smells like clear capitulation on the part of the PGA. DP I get because they have way less to begin with.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Getting back on track with the meat and potatos of this story.
This interview is necessary listening.
From my perspective: It will be interesting to see how many of the *absolutes* Jimmy Dunne emphasizes will be walked back in the future.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
That just had Steve Sands on the radio and he was saying clearly the PGA is in control here.. and I thought yeah, not sure about that....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That just had Steve Sands on the radio and he was saying clearly the PGA is in control here.. and I thought yeah, not sure about that....
My skepticism is that...
The PGA is a not for profit that is merging with mega $$$.
They say that parts of this entity will be for profit while the PGA as an association will remain non profit.
It's really hard for me to believe that the LIV people will slowly take over the positions in the heirarchy of the PGA.

Its always about the $$$
If LIV is bringing the money to the table, and PGA is bringing the players and sponsor opportunities, then the balance will land squarely on the side of who is bringing the most $$

Last edited: