• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Professional Golf LIV, DP and PGA merge!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'd be pretty sure that talking of penalties and punishment isn't the way to get to one big happy family when the PGA has just done what the LIV players did in taking the money.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The saudis just bought a sport in the US. Hard to not ignore. The whole pro version of the sport is tainted.
American car culture and the whole auto industry is tainted by Saudi oil. In fact, we’re largely responsible for providing the Saudis with the means to operate LIV and buy the PGA. And yet that doesn’t stop us from filling up our cars, or getting in the car to drive half a mile to the store. Why do we get angry and self-righteous when the Saudis spend the money that we’re happily handing over to them?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
American car culture and the whole auto industry is tainted by Saudi oil. In fact, we’re largely responsible for providing the Saudis with the means to operate LIV and buy the PGA. And yet that doesn’t stop us from filling up our cars, or getting in the car to drive half a mile to the store. Why do we get angry and self-righteous when the Saudis spend the money that we’re happily handing over to them?
Transportation is a bit more of a necessity than golf is.. That said.. If only we had full EVs and renewables adoption oil would be worthless and all the Saudis would have is sand... to pound...

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it’s not like this hasn’t been an issue in the last 50 years with two oil embargos and multiple wars costing many lives and many billions of dollars.
The PGAT has been pretty “self righteous” the past year, so ask them. Sure, sell out, but don’t expect respect.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't see how any discussion of the structure of the professional world of golf ultimately stays away from politics and thus an auto ban on this forum. $ is politics at the end of the day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't see how any discussion of the structure of the professional world of golf ultimately stays away from politics and thus an auto ban on this forum. $ is politics at the end of the day.
It can be political IF it is related to the topic and does not go a stray and people getting on soapboxes with agendas.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now a few Senators are getting into the fray, claiming antitrust violations, i.e., creating a monopoly and/or substantially lessening competition, and questioning the PGA's non-profit tax status. Notably, they also lead their argument by stating how terrible the Saudi regime is and how they shouldn't be allowed to "sportswash" their human rights record. Still though, no mention of the billions in military aid that we send to Saudi Arabia or the billions (trillions?) in oil we purchase. I suppose its okay to buy oil from a despot regime, but if they get involved in sports, well that's just taking it too far.

I suspect this merger will not go through from some of the things I've read and listened to so far b/c of this.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Admin Note: While there is political aspect to the topic, any posts that are not specifically related to golf and LIV will be deleted w/o notice.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wasn’t the PGAT a monopoly before LIV and the merger? Now it’s just a bigger one bankrolled by the saudis?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Watson's always been my all time favorite golfer..

Just having a pop about a possible player rebellion without real action isn't he? Demanding answers doesn't feel it will get them far given they weren't really consulted on the deal.

Players' real leverage is being able to walk away from the tour " on principle". If they love the game so much I'm sure plenty of local clubs will help them organise tournaments among themselves. But I heavily suspect they wouldn't.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just having a pop about a possible player rebellion without real action isn't he? Demanding answers doesn't feel it will get them far given they weren't really consulted on the deal.

Players' real leverage is being able to walk away from the tour " on principle". If they love the game so much I'm sure plenty of local clubs will help them organise tournaments among themselves. But I heavily suspect they wouldn't.
What would be amazing is if Tiger and a couple of the other all time money winner OGs antie'd up and started another tour.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is he Canadian?
Surprised there wasn’t an apology for the complaint. It’s how it gets normalized- sort of complain, but “this is good for golf” will become the theme.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What would be amazing is if Tiger and a couple of the other all time money winner OGs antie'd up and started another tour.
Yeah, that's what we need to add evern MORE confusion. This isn't boxing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Is he Canadian?
Surprised there wasn’t an apology for the complaint. It’s how it gets normalized- sort of complain, but “this is good for golf” will become the theme.
Tom Watson's an American, born in KC, went to Stanford.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yeah, that's what we need to add evern MORE confusion. This isn't boxing.
I'm good with major disruption at this point. It was better when there was the choice between honorable and big money terrorist funded for the players to make and show where they stand..