• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So my local ant hill, with 625 vert. feet of madness got themselves a PistenBully 600 added to their 'fleet' of groomers for this coming season. They groom the 'entire' hill at the beginning of the night session (6-10pm) to generally bring some pretty nice conditions to relax after work. I might add that being 5 minutes from where I live, it's a nice option to have and I appreciate all their efforts to do the most with what they've got. :beercheer:

http://www.skisundown.com/

How's your local bump getting it done?

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
So my local ant hill, with 625 vert. feet of madness got themselves a PistenBully 600 added to their 'fleet' of groomers for this coming season. They groom the 'entire' hill at the beginning of the night session (6-10pm) to generally bring some pretty nice conditions to relax after work. I might add that being 5 minutes from where I live, it's a nice option to have and I appreciate all their efforts to do the most with what they've got. :beercheer:

That's cool. I saw the email announcement. Pretty exciting. Motivation to do a little night skiing there this coming season. I always say I'm going to stop there on a Friday night on my way to butternut, now I have motivation :)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Your "appreciation" probably also should name the hill????

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cheers to the snow cat groomers and all snow making personnel. Lots of late nights and little appreciation. We would not have been able to ski one day last year without them at Blue Mountain in the Poconos.
We also have skied extensively at Bear Creek and they both have great groomer and machines also.
I have seen personnel groom Sasquatch at BC and Challenge at Blue. They have winches so they can groom the steeps. I think Sasquatch may be @ 47degrees at its steepest. It's scary to watch.
There is a fun snowmakers blog that Blue hosts: http://bluemountainsnowmakers.com

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
I have to do several shout outs!

1) McIntyre - a very small hill (200 ft vert) in Manchester, NH. This is where our kids took private lessons on the cheap about 20 years ago when we lived in a nearby town. After that they never looked back.
2) Pats Peak - a still small but probably more than a hill at 700 ft vert, was a local place (15 minutes from home) that was fun for beer league races, our kids skied there through their school, night skiing on discounted tickets
3) Crotched Mountain - Small ski area with 1000 ft vert was fun for their 2:30-5 skiing or night skiing as well (Midnight Madness with skiing until 3 am)
4) Gunstock - certianly bigger (1400 ft vert) than the others mentioned but to us it was a local hill that we skied at a lot for night skiing. Two for Tuesdays was popular for us. Also we held on to comps for powder nights. It was 30 minutes drive but worth it.

Other honorable mentions are Abenaki Ski Area (Wolfeboro, NH) , Lyndon Outing Club (Lyndonville, VT), Living Memorial Park (Brattleboro, VT), Lost Valley Ski Area (Auburn, ME) which are all places we tried for the fun of it - all one and dones, but it is fun to check these small places off the list - makes you feel like a pro too!

My local hill as a kid - Jay Peak and even after moving away from the area it became part of the 20 or so mountains tour we did every season.

Now being in Colorado, we do not have that local hill that is less than 30 or 40 minutes away - there is Echo (600 ft vert, 226 ac) which is the closest to Denver but still too far for us. Keystone is our night skiing option with almost 300 acres for night skiing but only until 8 pm.

For Colorado Springs many call Monarch the local hill - short in stature at 1200 ft vert but big on space with 800 acres it is still 2 hrs away.

We have also skied another that is considered a local hill to many - Eldora but that too is no lightweight at 1240 vert and 680 acres. Some from back in New England refer to it as the Pats Peak of Colorado.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
We have also skied another that is considered a local hill to many - Eldora but that too is no lightweight at 1240 vert and 680 acres. Some from back in New England refer to it as the Pats Peak of Colorado.

Well, sure by Colorado standards!
But Eldora is truly local for Boulder County folks and the RTD goes right there too if you like. It's a great local option!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've been quite happy to have less than 300 vert with night skiing less than 10 minutes from home and a job there whenever I wanted one..

Today, I'd love to live near something like that again..

Humming theme song from Cheers... "I wanna ski where everybody knows my name.."

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

http://www.skisundown.com/

I've been quite happy to have less than 300 vert with night skiing less than 10 minutes from home and a job there whenever I wanted one..

Today, I'd love to live near something like that again..

Humming theme song from Cheers... "I wanna ski where everybody knows my name.."

Any of these would be a dream for me. My closest hill is almost three hours away. I still consider myself fortunate. But I would love to have any vert a few minutes away. Not to mention night skiing for midweek!

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a love/hate relationship with my hill.

The most appreciable aspect is the lack of crowds.
FullSizeRender.jpg

I took this picture from my parking spot at 9:36am on April 9th.An hour after the lifts started spinning. This was a Sunday. Snow history shows 60cm recent storm snow, 20cm new. (onthesnow.ca)

Big Whitout

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any of these would be a dream for me. My closest hill is almost three hours away. I still consider myself fortunate. But I would love to have any vert a few minutes away. Not to mention night skiing for midweek!
Me too.. Drive 3 hours, ski 3 hours, drive 3 hours, do chores when I get home.. That's a Saturday or Sunday for me on a ski day.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Me too.. Drive 3 hours, ski 3 hours, drive 3 hours, do chores when I get home.. That's a Saturday or Sunday for me on a ski day.

My 'north' skiing is slightly better... I drive a total of 5 hours to SKI 6 hours... it makes for a long day!
Tuesdays In The Snow make it all worth it :D

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My "local" hill is 4 1/2 hours away. But they do a wonderful job. Keep it up Granite Peak. Yes there are closer hills but this place exudes a vibe that is worth the drive.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, sure by Colorado standards!
But Eldora is truly local for Boulder County folks and the RTD goes right there too if you like. It's a great local option!

I really enjoy a quick jaunt up to Eldora on occasion. They installed a 6pack lift this summer so I'm a bit nervous about how that will play out with crowds and parking.