• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lone Tree man skis 12.4 million vertical feet this winter at Vail Resorts

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
This seems an impressive endurance feat.

62 y/o.

And apparently not just lapping the blues....

“He’s technically very good at skiing bumps and trees and all kinds of stuff,” Fralich, a part-time Breckenridge resident from Fort Collins, continued. “He can ski some of the hardest bump runs in Colorado top to bottom without stopping at the very end of the day — which is not something I can do. Sometimes we feel guilty that we are holding him back. He doesn’t feel too bad about splitting off when he knows it’s better for his vertical.”

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
188 days! Wow. Obviously he must be in great shape but he must have crazy good patience to be able to deal with the crowds of this past season!

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
188 days! Wow. Obviously he must be in great shape but he must have crazy good patience to be able to deal with the crowds of this past season!

Kind of wondering how he averaged over 39 chair rides per day (total of 7,363 for the season!!) with crowds. Do they ski 24/7 at some Vail resorts?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Kind of wondering how he averaged over 39 chair rides per day (total of 7,363 for the season!!) with crowds. Do they ski 24/7 at some Vail resorts?
Yeah! My thought too. There was alot of days this past season I gave up after 3 or 4 lift rides because I cant stand waiting 30 minutes in line.

40 lifts a day, 8 hours of skiing? 5 an hour wothout a lunch break? Thats 12 minute lift ride, ski, line, back on chair?? Unless he was night skiing too??

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah! My thought too. There was alot of days this past season I gave up after 3 or 4 lift rides because I cant stand waiting 30 minutes in line.

40 lifts a day, 8 hours of skiing? 5 an hour wothout a lunch break? Thats 12 minute lift ride, ski, line, back on chair?? Unless he was night skiing too??

40 runs in a day can be accomplished, but The number that is the most astonishing to me is the vertical feet. Me and my friends also take days where we try to push the numbers like that as hard as we can. It takes a focus to maximize the time like that. You have to Ski from bell to bell, no lunch break, ski directly from lift and get on lifts immediately, and you need to make good decisions on not getting in lift lines, getting in singles line if needed. On days that I ski alone and really push it I can get 40-45 runs, but I max out at approx 44,000 vertical feet. He is averaging 65,000 vertical feet a day. And to do that EVERY DAY, is amazing.

“During ski season I blow off everything,” he said.

Like his style though…

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skiing like that sounds more like a chore than an enjoyable experience. I can see doing a vertical challenge very so often, but all season long?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This seems an impressive endurance feat.

62 y/o.

And apparently not just lapping the blues....

“He’s technically very good at skiing bumps and trees and all kinds of stuff,” Fralich, a part-time Breckenridge resident from Fort Collins, continued. “He can ski some of the hardest bump runs in Colorado top to bottom without stopping at the very end of the day — which is not something I can do. Sometimes we feel guilty that we are holding him back. He doesn’t feel too bad about splitting off when he knows it’s better for his vertical.”

'I strive for quality, not quantity.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the article it says when he is chasing vertical he skis the groomers off the Santiago lift at Keystone. That lift is 1600 vertical 4.5 minute ride time. You could easily do 6 runs an hour, more if you really cranked with minimal lift line. At 6 per hour thats 9,600/hr vertical and roughly 72,000 in a day, but likely more. If you cranked 8 an hour thats a 100,000 foot day.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Whatever floats your boat...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
In the article it says when he is chasing vertical he skis the groomers off the Santiago lift at Keystone. That lift is 1600 vertical 4.5 minute ride time. You could easily do 6 runs an hour, more if you really cranked with minimal lift line. At 6 per hour thats 9,600/hr vertical and roughly 72,000 in a day, but likely more. If you cranked 8 an hour thats a 100,000 foot day.

Also think you’d be easily able to go over 100k vert a day if you had groomers you could safely ski fast all day, if there were no lines and a high speed lift taking you up that much vertical in that little time. Skiing a variety of runs off a lift like that would still give you 70k plus a day without big lines.

It’s the time on the lift and lift lines that slow you down especially in this Covid year. Usually average about double the vert per day vs the insane crowds of this year. On some busy days, the “actual skiing down the hill” time was 45 mins during a 8 hour ski day in Ontario this year!

James

Out There
Instructor
Impressive. About as interesting to me as this longest nails record. Took her 20 years, not one.
A9E6D588-1B98-4C7D-AA49-0DEC8B907F33.jpeg