• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Curious, @Marker, are you still skiing your Ranger 115s?
Yes but less last year than before. This year I hit the leg work in the gym much harder to recover hopefully lost strength from over the pandemic. If I don't feel comfortable this year then it will be time to move on! I turned 64 this year so, yeah...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I turned 64 this year so, yeah...

Still a year ahead of me, no matter how hard I try to catch up!

But that Ranger 115 in a freaking 198.....I wouldn't own it, but I'd love to ski it for a day!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still a year ahead of me, no matter how hard I try to catch up!

But that Ranger 115 in a freaking 198.....I wouldn't own it, but I'd love to ski it for a day!
Mine is a 188 cm and I think the longest is 196. These are a lot of ski and mine is the OG XTi model with the FR shape. These could take me places I have no business being in.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine is a 188 cm and I think the longest is 196. These are a lot of ski and mine is the OG XTi model with the FR shape. These could take me places I have no business being in.

Same. I always wonder if I'd have gelled better with the softened up FR version, but I've found a 108 is a better all day resort powder ski, so, bygones!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Same. I always wonder if I'd have gelled better with the softened up FR version, but I've found a 108 is a better all day resort powder ski, so, bygones!
For the east coast I probably would reconsider a new 102 as a well received compromise between the older 98/99, 108 and 102 Ti/FR Rangers, but I would want to demo first.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Been waiting to make this post for a bit, but finally snagged a pair of ProRiders (was quite the journey to find a set - these are demos from a ski resort).

Will be taking them out on a trip out to the Cottonwoods/Jackson soon and reporting back.

They came with demo bindings (Warden 11s) but I’ll probably put some pivot 18s on them (have a set waiting for a worthy charger) unless someone can think of a reason to keep the demo bindings on.

Only thing I need to figure out now is which ski to pair them with for my trip out west. Debating a carver (Stockli WRT) or an all mountain ski (Stormrider 105) - anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• 928CBB2F-2FF0-4540-BD8A-61045FFE88D7.jpeg
    928CBB2F-2FF0-4540-BD8A-61045FFE88D7.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 28

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Debating a carver (Stockli WRT) or an all mountain ski (Stormrider 105) - anyone have any thoughts?

For Jackson and LCC/BCC specifically, I think I’d much rather have a better tight spaces all mountain ski (and/or one better in pow depending on forecasts) to complement a Pro Rider than a carver. I do not like carvers off piste as much as many on this forum claim to however so unless I was going to a technique camp I wouldn’t bring one to those destinations anyway.

If the pro riders are tuned halfway decent, trust me when I say that there is virtually zero chance either area will be too icy for them to grip.

Edit: and yes, Pivot 18 all the way. The combo weighs about 4100 grams per foot.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Been waiting to make this post for a bit, but finally snagged a pair of ProRiders (was quite the journey to find a set - these are demos from a ski resort).

Will be taking them out on a trip out to the Cottonwoods/Jackson soon and reporting back.

They came with demo bindings (Warden 11s) but I’ll probably put some pivot 18s on them (have a set waiting for a worthy charger) unless someone can think of a reason to keep the demo bindings on.

Only thing I need to figure out now is which ski to pair them with for my trip out west. Debating a carver (Stockli WRT) or an all mountain ski (Stormrider 105) - anyone have any thoughts?
Depends on what you like doing (besides bombing big lines). If you enjoy making high g turns on groomed runs and plan on doing some of that, or if you know you will be spending time on groomed runs due to skiing with family or whatever, then bring a carver suitable to the speeds and terrain you will be skiing on those groomed runs (including all narrow skis here from 2-steps down from FIS to Super G racing skis). Most carvers will work in moguls well enough, but if you will be mostly in moguls, best bring a less stiff, not too wide and tuned less aggressively, ski for that. If, on the other hand, you won't be on groomers, just bring a wider rockered ski that good in tighter places.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For decades I put together a guys trip to JH every late January. At least three of those were positively SAVED by having a set of carving skis with.

Ullr does not always bestow his goodness at the exact time and location as desired!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For decades I put together a guys trip to JH every late January. At least three of those were positively SAVED by having a set of carving skis with.

Ullr does not always bestow his goodness at the exact time and location as desired!
It's snowing at Killington with a forecast of 20", but I'm sitting at home in PA getting ready for Christmas, so the Rangers will stay in the locker up north...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's snowing at Killington with a forecast of 20", but I'm sitting at home in PA getting ready for Christmas, so the Rangers will stay in the locker up north...

Yup, on a road trip, always cover as many bases as space allows. We were typically 3 to a vehicle on those trips.

And each one was typically hauling 10+ pair of skis.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just saw these in case anyone still looking for M-Pro 105 Pro Rider skis at a great price $540 CAN from the discount division of the Altitude Sports place I got my Blackops 118 skis from.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just saw these in case anyone still looking for M-Pro 105 Pro Rider skis at a great price $540 CAN from the discount division of the Altitude Sports place I got my Blackops 118 skis from.

Someone buy those so I don’t…

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Alrighty, so I've been rocking the 2 ski resort quiver this season of Cochise 192 and Bonafide 189.

I totally love the Cochise, it WANTS TO GO! Only days I haven't really enjoyed them were some of our real Whitefish fog fest days when I wasn't comfortable letting them get to the speed they want to go(can't see nothing on those days). Also, they make the flatter terrain back to the lifts kinda boring...

So then I have the Bonafides. I like them on those foggy days because they are more enjoyable to ski at slower speeds. They can also ski the tightest bumps/trees very comfortably. I also like them on the mid to mellow groomers because I can bend them into crazy tight hip dragging arcs and go edge to edge very fast(for me)=makes those runs fun. However Im struggling with lack of high speed stability/dampening(groomer seems/crud piles) and tail edge hold on firm snow on steep groomers at high speed. I'd call them a 'playful' ski.

Surprisingly(to me at least) the Bonafides are not my favorite of the two on clear firm snow days(crusty off piste and firm groomers). If I've got room to let the skis run and I can see what's coming I prefer to carve high speed turns on the Cochise skis and I also prefer to ski them on the crusty off piste. My edge hold is significantly better and the Cochise can ski right through any chatter left over by the groomers or clumps of crud without checking my speed.

So that being said, skiing a 106 waist ski with the conditions we've been having for most of this winter(thin), so far, is abit of over kill. My knees seem to chirp at me abit more after repetitive days of skiing this wider skis. I thought for sure, 'oh it must be the weight'..but according to Blizzard the Cochise weigh 2450 and the Bonafides 2410. I dont think 40 grams is making a huge difference. Considering the Cochise and Bonafides come from the same brand and even the same family, Im very surprised by my different experiences with them. Is it the stated turn radius 26m(Cochise) vs 20m(Bonafides)? Transitioning between the 2 skis is VERY different for me.

What is a mid 90's waist version of the Cochise? Does that ski exist?

Last edited: