• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've gotten about 12 days this year on the Mantra 102 in 191cm, and so far I REALLY, REALLY, like them. I can't believe how easy they are to pivot and dump speed(is that that whole 3d sidecut-beats me??). They are real fun in the trees and bumps too. Id call this ski 'playful', but Im not sure many would agree. I think they are more maneuverable than the M5's(which I loved). This afternoon was our first real clear day(more than 2 chair vis) after some fresh snow(6" of fresh and top of hill to bottom lift station views) which I interpret as no speed limit -make as few turns as possible kinda day. It was pretty tracked out by the time I got up there. They definitely like going fast but got pushed around in the chop at higher speeds more than I expected. These are my daily driver and I'm QUITE happy about that, but I'm kinda thinking about something abit stiffer and heavier especially for spring skiing when those clumps and crud get alot wetter and heavier. I keep having the Dynstar Mpro 105 pop up in my mind....
ohh yes! ! but I'm impressed at you likeing them in the trees, either your a way better skier, or your trees are further apart :p

going 60-65mph, dump some speed, continue going without drama

I cannot understand why not more people ski them.

I have not skied anything better in clumps & crud, even wet & heavy than the mantra 102 191 but I have not skied the m-pro 105... maybe my 250lbs + jester + heavy boots etc helps them iron it out even more?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, funny thing happened-that buddy of mine with whom I ski regularly, against the advise of all of us who know him bought Head....Rally I believe-the red ones 170 cm 13.7m. The guy is 192 cm 130 kg, skis GS and SG turns, hates short turns and..yeah, he bought some SL ski. Don't ask.
I did my best to prevent that from happening but one could only do so much in cases like this.
Anyway, he hates them, of course he does and I am thinking of correcting this mistake by pointing him to the right ski for him.
They need to be long, damp, stable, easy to ski, charge-y and above 16m radius. Preferably 90-100mm.

@anders_nor I am mostly looking at you for advise. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So, funny thing happened-that buddy of mine with whom I ski regularly, against the advise of all of us who know him bought Head....Rally I believe-the red ones 170 cm 13.7m. The guy is 192 cm 130 kg, skis GS and SG turns, hates short turns and..yeah, he bought some SL ski. Don't ask.

In the meantime, have you introduced him to the one-turn-per-3m vertical-game?

Any speed at all. Any turn shape at all. +/- 10% allowance. *evilsmiley*

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the meantime, have you introduced him to the one-turn-per-3m vertical-game?

Any speed at all. Any turn shape at all. +/- 10% allowance. *evilsmiley*

Yeah, we will work on this. But at this point he is reluctant to ski them anymore. Frankly the ski are fine, they are just totally wrong for him but then again what do you expect will happen when you try to ski SL ski mach schnell in SG turns? Nothing good that’s what.

He had to realize for himself what “narrow margin of error” means.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did my best to prevent that from happening but one could only do so much in cases like this.
Anyway, he hates them, of course he does and I am thinking of correcting this mistake by pointing him to the right ski for him.
They need to be long, damp, stable, easy to ski, charge-y and above 16m radius. Preferably 90-100mm.

@anders_nor I am mostly looking at you for advise. :ogbiggrin:
Kastle mx 99/98

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes 191cm when he gets the hang of "3d radius" and apply weight, speed and edge angle they produce long or shorter turns, short enough to be a great workout

I have yet to find anything in 90 or 80mm range that can "hang" with the m102

I spent first 1/3 to 1/2 of day yesterday on the 76 master.... but it was getting skied out, ice under, etc.. still fun by all means, but required you to be 100% on your game.
switched to m102, so friendly, use the big bumps as jumps when you wanted, ski through when you didnt, just carve turns though all of it etc.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes 191cm when he gets the hang of "3d radius" and apply weight, speed and edge angle they produce long or shorter turns, short enough to be a great workout

I have yet to find anything in 90 or 80mm range that can "hang" with the m102

I spent first 1/3 to 1/2 of day yesterday on the 76 master.... but it was getting skied out, ice under, etc.. still fun by all means, but required you to be 100% on your game.
switched to m102, so friendly, use the big bumps as jumps when you wanted, ski through when you didnt, just carve turns though all of it etc.

Is there any difference between 20/21 and 21/22 models in terms of construction?
Presently I can find the 20/21 model at a ridiculously low price. Dirt cheap.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20 21 22 are all identical

they havent sold that well as people are a bit scared of them? they do require some speed to be fun fun. the older 20 and 21 look better than the 22 as far as colors go, so definetly grab the older year model!

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
aren't thoose only available in short lengths, and not even any heavy or umphy?
You seem to be implying that these would not be enough ski. The max length is 184 for the 99 and 187 for the 98 but there's no rocker tip or tail so they ski long. It's a fat sg ski that crushes any open terrain. Very good resort ski if you don't care much about floaty pow stuff but just want to go fast all the time with long turns. They rock for normal resort stuff, basically anything not deep and are much better on anything described as firm other freeride skis. Considering they are to replace a head rally should be plenty but maybe too much ski.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You seem to be implying that these would not be enough ski. The max length is 184 but there's no rocker tip or tail so they ski long. It's a fat sg ski that crushes any open terrain. Very good resort ski if you don't care much about floaty pow stuff but just want to go fast all the time with long turns. They rock for normal resort stuff, basically anything not deep and are much better on anything described as firm other freeride skis. Considering they are to replace a head rally should be plenty but maybe too much ski.

Did you see the part about the skier being 6'4" and 300lbs?

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you see the part about the skier being 6'4" and 300lbs?.
No the numbers were metric.
Mx 99 are like the heaviest skis out there under 100mm width. If it's not enough... And that really depends on how he skis. There is no reason to think a 191 off the shelf is enough either. I don't know if people that size are within the design tolerance of any ski maker for off the shelf models.

Then he would need full custom all the way. But it really depends on how fast.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I experienced, at some point, the MX99 and the MX98 that followed it (but did not replace it) being very different skis. One was much more ski. Was that right, at least at some point, when the change over happened, at least?