• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I’ve been digging through the internets looking for some good offseason deals for some new go fast-unforgiving-smash through crud skis.

I missed out on some Mpro 105s corbetts had on sale earlier this summer and got hosed by another retailer who’s inventory wasn’t correct.

Looking for 10X’ish in width and 190+ in length, metal layers.

My short list:
Dynastar mpro 105(aka pro riders)
Volkl Katana(not the vwerks)
Blizzard Cochise

On the bubble:
Mantra 102(I loved my m5’s)
Black crows corvus(kinda light weight makes me concerned about crud busting)

Anything else I should have on my list?

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm very interested on getting on the new Rossi Blackops Sender Squad. Only come in 194 and are 112mm. Can't find much on them so far though. Another option is always the Head Monster 108s, 184 or 191, if you can find em.

Also J Skis Hotshot is heavy AF and its predecessor (the metal) was a great crud-buster. They usually have demo/seconds/sale skis.

Once and a while I browse around for cheap Monster 108s, old Volkl Katanas, pro riders and old Blizzard Bodaciouses but they are very hard to come by

I think the era of long, fat, double-metal skis is coming to an end :'(

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve got these….2014 Volkl Katana (191)…I “could be persuaded” to let go of…..they are soo good.

266E4889-A517-4700-832E-66DA40DFCA66.jpeg

I bought these from @AEV a few years back….still in excellent condition, but have a couple mounts.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Of your shortlist, and those suggested, I would go with the Cochise. Some would call it a helicopter/snowcat ski, but I stand by its utility as a resort ski, however hard-charging and uncompromising it may be.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
mantra 102 191cm!!!! also look at CT 3.0 190cm

I've got ZERO time on any Faction skis. I've always kinda looked the other way on them since I'm a very directional ski and they seem to have more forward mount points and twin'ish tails.

Also I'm trying to stay in the mid 100mm width. Beyond 110 isn't 'really' what I'm thinking....

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I'm very interested on getting on the new Rossi Blackops Sender Squad. Only come in 194 and are 112mm. Can't find much on them so far though.

I'm trying to stay in the mid 100mm width. Beyond 110 isn't 'really' what I'm thinking....at this point in time at least...

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've got ZERO time on any Faction skis. I've always kinda looked the other way on them since I'm a very directional ski and they seem to have more forward mount points and twin'ish tails.

Also I'm trying to stay in the mid 100mm width. Beyond 110 isn't 'really' what I'm thinking....
mantra 102 it is then

the 2021 1.0 2.0 3.0 candids are unicorns, made at fischer factory, they are heavy, stiff, chargy & gone for 2022 :D

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sender Squad and Moment Commander 108 in the 188cm or 194cm lengths along with the M Pro 105 are the current kings or charge. Katana 108 up there too. All with nicer shaped tips than the Monsters or Mantra 102 had/have for high speed crud busting.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Not on sale, but exchange might make them:

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Rossi Experience 94ti's will make you smile. They will go thru anything, crud is no match for them. Plenty to choose from on eBay.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The one that burned?

The fire last year was in the Ukraine Fisher plant and I think 2021 Faction skis were made in the Austrian Fisher plant in Reid. The 2021 Factions were much heavier, stiffer and better constructed than ever before

For 2022, Faction moving production to the Amer plant(Atomic/Armada/Black Crows) and using lighter materials so back to being lighter, more playful skis again. That’s why I just bought a second pair of 2021 Candide 3.0 skis as I love this years “heavy” builds.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I pulled the trigger late the other night on the mantra 102’s. Didn't want to miss out. Im going to keep looking for some pro riders on sale. Speak up if you see any!

AEV

Booting up
Skier
mantra 102 191cm!!!! also look at CT 3.0 190cm

I own the jskis hotshot 189cm, its not really that much of a charger in comparison.

You and Greg are really turning me onto a pair of the 2021 CT 3.0s. I've been waiting to find them under $500, but it doesn't seem they'll drop lower than 550ish. These might be my next ski, but I hesitate because of all the durability issues I hear about Faction, including these 2021 candides
I was intrigued by the HotShots, as a softer playful ski, that's still damp and stable in terms of the weight if you can ski it centered/balanced.

I’ve got these….2014 Völkl Katana (191)…I “could be persuaded” to let go of…..they are soo good.

View attachment 137377

I bought these from @AEV a few years back….still in excellent condition, but have a couple mounts.

Those were some serious skis! I wish they called the new Katana 108 the Gotama, and made a 112 real new Katana. That being said, I still want the 108 version.

Sender Squad and Moment Commander 108 in the 188cm or 194cm lengths along with the M Pro 105 are the current kings or charge. Katana 108 up there too. All with nicer shaped tips than the Monsters or Mantra 102 had/have for high speed crud busting.

IMO, the 191 Monster 108s absolutely obliterated the M Pro 105s in every category except 40m turns and maybe deep powder. Pro Riders are in a different class compared to the current crop of skis, yes, but the Monster 108s were in an even higher class in terms of stability busting crud. I currently have M Pro 105s, and while they're still skis I'll never let go of, they are much floppier/softer than Monster 108s were, and significantly lighter. I get bucked a bit more on the M Pro 105. I also get bucked around a bit more on the Dynastar, than on those old 112 Katanas or 191 On3p Wren 115 Pro. I don't actually know the intended purposes from the designers, but to me the M Pro 105s seem like big mountain Euro/AK powder charger that can also handle firm smooth snow very, very well. M Pros are terrible in bumps or trees though. Monsters, old Katanas, older Wrenegades, were all less bouncy everywhere and also better all mountain in bumps and trees. The M Pro seems like a slightly outdated design, although I still love it and will never let go. It's currently the king for stability of 2022 skis, I would assume, so it still has it's place. I think they are replacing it for 2023, no?

Seems for huge turns in smooth firm or soft snow like this video at 10 seconds in

not for all mountain in the resort

I was absolutely blown away with the Völkl Katana 108. That ski motors through anything, works good enough on groomers and is maneuverable and enjoyable in bumps and trees. The Cochise meets your requirements as well.

I'm currently debating the Katana 108 or Cochise 106 for "big skis" that can still pick their way through the tightest spots. I always found the old Katanas and Cochises good for this purpose

The fire last year was in the Ukraine Fisher plant and I think 2021 Faction skis were made in the Austrian Fisher plant in Reid. The 2021 Factions were much heavier, stiffer and better constructed than ever before

For 2022, Faction moving production to the Amer plant(Atomic/Armada/Black Crows) and using lighter materials so back to being lighter, more playful skis again. That’s why I just bought a second pair of 2021 Candide 3.0 skis as I love this years “heavy” builds.
I though I still read one or two things on durability problems with the 2021 skis. I really like the CT3.0 on paper, and want to buy, but am worried about reliability. What can you say to console me?

I pulled the trigger late the other night on the mantra 102’s. Didn't want to miss out. Im going to keep looking for some pro riders on sale. Speak up if you see any!

Great buy! I have been eyeing those for a while too. Thinking the Katana 108 would suit me better. Despite some of the things I say about the M Pro 105 that may be perceived as negative, I still love the ski and think it deserves a spot in any chargers quiver.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I joined Club CT 3.0 from GregK and Anders recommendation. I have the skis and mounted bindings on them. I have not skied them, though. I got them from Skis.com for $503. They had a 10% off coupon one weekend. They are charger stiff for sure. They look and feel like well made skis. They have full sidewalls, so that usually means a ski that will hold up. I do think Faction skis get the crap beat out of them from park use, and they have made some mistakes in core wood choices, which caused failures. For what ever reason, the 2021 skis got heavier and stiffer, so that indicates they will be more durable. Only time will tell.

Sponsor

Staff online