• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2017-18 Head Rally for an Intermediate

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
20171231_091803-EFFECTS.jpg

Dimensions: 135-76-114@170cm
Radius: 13.7m@170cm
Size tested: 170
Design: Carryover

Last season, with about 40 ski days under my belt, the Pugski crowd helped me decide on a nice set of skis for my skill set and the conditions I typically ski: a pair of 179 Dynastar Powertrack 89s (I will refer to these as the PTs). Those are damp, confidence-inspiring, and very forgiving and playful given their five-point design. The first thing I noticed was how much more confident I felt on these skis. This in turn allowed me to start exploring a lot more of the mountain, including soft bumps and mild bowls, and to improve my skiing a bit, with proper instruction.

Fast forward to this season. With about 65 to 70 ski days under my belt, I want to focus on my technical skills. While good skiers can definitely make beautiful carved turns on the PTs, they are an all-mountain ski not really designed for carving. So I asked the Pugski experts again for advice and decided on the Head Rally at 170 cm. In a nutshell, the idea is that the Rally is a performance ski that can handle variable snow as I tend to encounter, and more important, it is not supposed to be as unforgiving as an FIS slalom or GS ski.

Two things come to mind with the Rally: speed and versatility. After having them tuned up at the default 1°/2° angles, I took them for a week of skiing at Mt Rose. In my six days at Rose, most of the time the snow was firm. There were some nicer, chalky patches, but there were also icy areas here and there. My first impression was, "Wow, these are fast." Putting them on edge is much easier for me than the Dynastar PTs, and they use an energy release system (KERS) that may or may not be a reason for the speed. Honestly, I couldn't tell. But I quickly got a wake-up call. On my second run on these skis, I got a little too fast on an empty and narrow cat track, hit ice on a sharp turn, and crashed. On a cat track!

Actually, the biggest adjustment I had to make as I started using the Rally was skiing flats, including cat tracks. Always use some pressure on corresponding edges, because if you try to run them flat, these skis will engage an edge easily. On steeper terrain, they will go supersonic. So, wherever you are, just turn constantly. Also, stay balanced at the center. Doing this will allow you to back-seat a bit, but a lot less than on the PTs, in my experience. If you simply let yourself go to the back seat, they'll hand your butt to you.

But then it snowed ... and that was my biggest surprise. It was an overnight drop of a few inches on top of mostly hard snow and, in some areas, ice. The runs were groomed before the snowfall. I had expected to go to the car and pick up the wider Dynastars in those conditions, but to my surprise, I felt a lot of confidence on the Heads. For one thing, if you can set an edge (which is easy on these skis), going through the variable chunky snow is a pleasure: you simply cut through it. Also, in soft, small bumps, these were ton of fun. They are light but firm, and easy to pivot, so you can rotate over a bump and then set a solid edge and make a carved turn. Those were the conditions where I liked them the most.

I plan to continue building this review as a long-term report. So far, they have more than lived up to my (high) expectations. I find that the skis encourage but don't absolutely require good technical skiing. I am turning more and edging a little better. One reason, I believe, is the much narrower waist than my PTs, 76 vs 89 mm, not to mention the racing pedigree of Head. In addition, the aggressive sidecut with wide shovels and tails, the lighter (Graphene) construction, and the slight but noticeable taper up front helps make them fun and versatile. They also have decent flotation considering the thin waist. The shovels bite into the snow and engage the ski, even at low edging angles, and the tails support the turns throughout. (If anything, I tend to park and ride, something on my list of things to improve.)

Of course, these didn't magically turn me into a good skier. But they seem like a great tool for me to improve, and I already see some modest progress, which isn't bad for a few days on the slopes with them. More important, I have a lot of fun skiing them, which is what skiing is all about, at least for me. So I couldn't be happier with the purchase.
  • Who is it for? Advanced and expert skiers who want a carver with all-mountain chops; intermediates who want to improve their technical skills with a decently forgiving ski.
  • Who is it not for? Folks who expect to cruise. This is a sports car, not a sedan. Also, I wouldn't recommend this ski for advanced beginners or lower intermediates.
  • Insider tip: For a one-ski quiver in areas with deeper snow, also consider the Titan (our testers particularly liked this iteration of the Titan).

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I'm very grateful this ski was recommended to me as well. Glad you are enjoying yours and getting a lot out of it as well.

Excellent review.

:beercheer:

Me too! Here is the thread where the ski was recommended to me. Lots of good stuff there that I truly appreciate. Since I wrote this review (late December 2017) I put a few (about 5) more days on the skis. These last few have been the best. I think it helped that I started to maintain the edges. Now I always sharpen them before heading to the mountain. I've been to (soft) bumps, and crud, and skied both better than ever, even though the ski is not specific for these. Carving improved a lot, even though it's still mostly work in progress.

But I'm having so much fun skiing these. And rediscovering my skiing. I can ski bumps, but I can't lazily drift around. I have to release the edges at the right time with the proper technique, and then I can actually slarve, speed check, side step, and it's more assertive than I've ever experienced. I am glad I didn't jump into these any earlier. But I'm also grateful I didn't wait any longer. Thank you all!

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
Great review! I'm also seriously considering acquiring a ski from the SuperShape line. Do you mind if I ask your height/weight (just for reference to the 170cm choice)? Trying to decide between 170 or 177 for myself.

Did you feel like this ski has lots of camber under foot, such that it kind of "pops" you out of your turn and into the next? An old "vintage" pair of skis I had, Volkl P10 SLC had so much camber and I just loved that "pop" out of a turn. Yes, I guess I crave camber!

Just point of clarification to your thread title, based on your awesome photo with the PugSki sticker on the ski, it appears those are the 2016-2017 model, but I don't think they changed at all for 2017-2018 other than small topsheet cosmetics, or NGT as Phil says!

EDIT: Just looked at the link to your original thread, saw you posted your height/weight of 6'1", 180lbs. Are you happy with the 170cm? Did you consider 177cm? I'm 5'7" 185lbs (bodybuilder build lol) and think 170cm would be good for me.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Great review! I'm also seriously considering acquiring a ski from the SuperShape line. Do you mind if I ask your height/weight (just for reference to the 170cm choice)? Trying to decide between 170 or 177 for myself.

Did you feel like this ski has lots of camber under foot, such that it kind of "pops" you out of your turn and into the next? An old "vintage" pair of skis I had, Volkl P10 SLC had so much camber and I just loved that "pop" out of a turn. Yes, I guess I crave camber!

Just point of clarification to your thread title, based on your awesome photo with the PugSki sticker on the ski, it appears those are the 2016-2017 model, but I don't think they changed at all for 2017-2018 other than small topsheet cosmetics, or NGT as Phil says!

EDIT: Just looked at the link to your original thread, saw you posted your height/weight of 6'1", 180lbs. Are you happy with the 170cm? Did you consider 177cm? I'm 5'7" 185lbs (bodybuilder build lol) and think 170cm would be good for me.

Thank you, @YolkyPalky ! I'm 6'1 180 lbs, wino build :D I do think it's a pretty lively ski, with pop (for my limited knowledge of skis). Definitely much more snow feeling than with my wider, heavier, damper Dynastar Powertrack @177.Here is the profie (from my unboxing post)

20170918_160424-jpg.29833

As for size, I would definitely not go wild. These are 7cm shorter than my Powertracks, and a lot more of a handful. For one thing, they engage most of the side (as it seems clear from their shape). They only taper the shovels. Each ski in the supershape series will show you where they start tapering with the colored triangle at the front. The magnum tapers less, and the Titan more. Another indication not to go long on these is that the longest size they make is 177cm. Of course, it is also a matter of skier ability. @Lorenzzo is about my size and he rocks the Titans @ 177. But he is years and years ahead of me in skiing ability.

EDIT: based on your edit: yes, I am happy with the size, very much. I feel like 177 would have been too much to handle for me at this stage, and for a ski with which I want to really learn how to make clean, SL type turns. Now, this is not just some boring learning tool. I am having the time of my life. I have never had so much fun skiing.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Yes, the 170 would be good for you. The Rally is a ski you choose length based on purpose. The earlier generation I prefered the 177 but the current one, the 170 for my 5'11/195lb body works well as a hard snow specific ski. If I was looking more more versatility, I would consider going back to the 177.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have the 2018 version in the 177 length. I still continue to debate over whether to have the 170 or 177 length, and with my height and weight, I'm right in between the two sizes. I didn't find the 177 stiffer or tougher to ski, but with the 170 you can more easily throw it around.

BTW, here's a generic Head size chart that includes supershape skis:
http://www.powder7.com/head-ski-size-chart-and-sizing-guide
https://www.evo.com/head-skis-size-chart

Not to thread jack, but anyone have a size opinion in my case?

I agree with the OPs findings that if you get backseat, you will be punished. These have a very catchy tail designed to hold you in epic carves and if you get timid and backseat this ski, you will eventually be reminded quickly to grow a pair and send it. Other skis, like all-mountain, will let you get away with more.

I think it's a great all around front-side ski. There are days that I like a quicker ski, and there are days that I'd rather have a more versatile all-mountain ski. It's like choosing between a sports car and an SUV... they have their uses and scenarios where they are preferred.

Last edited:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@YolkyPalky I am your size and demoed 170, bought 163. I am skiing in the Mid-Atlantic, 1000' vertical hill. Might go 170 if you are skiing a bigger mountain. This ski does pop, skis deep snow surprisingly well. I have over 75 days on mine and like them better every time I take them out.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have the 2018 version in the 177 length. I still continue to debate over whether to have the 170 or 177 length, and with my height and weight, I'm right in between the two sizes. I didn't find the 177 stiffer or tougher to ski, but with the 170 you can more easily throw it around.

BTW, here's a generic Head size chart that includes supershape skis:
http://www.powder7.com/head-ski-size-chart-and-sizing-guide
https://www.evo.com/head-skis-size-chart

Not to thread jack, but anyone have a size opinion in my case?

I agree with the OPs findings that if you get backseat, you will be punished. These have a very catchy tail designed to hold you in epic carves and if you get timid and backseat this ski, you will eventually be reminded quickly to grow a pair and send it. Other skis, like all-mountain, will let you get away with more.

I think it's a great all around front-side ski. There are days that I like a quicker ski, and there are days that I'd rather have a more versatile all-mountain ski. It's like choosing between a sports car and an SUV... they have their uses and scenarios where they are preferred.
I (154 lbs) rented the 2018 model for a day in 170 cm, 13.7 m turn radius and found it great for carving short arc-2-arc turns. 177 is probably great for you, unless you want to focus on short turns on icy hardpack; the shorter length will result in more pressure and better hold on ice, but you will lose some versatility.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Time for an update: still loving them! Soft bumps everywhere today at Sugar Bowl. Day 16 on them, 18 for the season. I love them on soft bumps!

20180304_123059.jpg
20180304_123107.jpg

The day started with hero snow everywhere, after several feet of snow fell in the last few days. Only a few inches last night, and the groomed runs were superb at 9. Feeling the acceleration during the turn, so clearly, oh my, it's so different to everything else. And lovely.

Later on, as the snow got bumped up, I chose to make three final runs on an un-groomed, real bump run on the Judah side. The skis were great. I wasn't, but I am pretty new to bumps, and I am really focusing on carved turns this season. But I love going to the bumps if they are soft.

These skis are so light and precise, that it is easy to pull your legs a bit to turn and then carve or slarve on the back side of a bump, etc.

Last month it's been ice patches all over. I've been keeping the edges sharp, which has helped, but I experienced the first conditions where I didn't like the skis: frozen (hard frozen) irregular snow. Basically, it was extremely hard snow with the typical irregularities of natural snow. Not fun. I couldn't be stable flat, and I couldn't get an edge. I got out of that place before it got steep, and traversed to a groomed run.

The one thing I haven't tried, but not even Head advertises them for that use, is powder. Today there were some stashes here or there, but it's so deep, there is no way I am going to try that. They might be ok, but I decided to be prudent and stayed away.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Update: last weekend I took them to 10 inches of powder and they were super! There were a couple feet of wet snow from two consecutive storms at Tahoe. Then 10 inches of dry powder overnight and I was there. All runs covered by 10 inches of fluff. The rallies did just fine. Lovely smooth turns. And then when it got chopped up they would cut like butta.

:yahoo:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier

I think 170 would be better for you. I'm 5'9" 180lbs (fairly muscular but no Mr Olympia) and i chose the 170s after demoing the Titans on both 170 and 177. I'm happy with the choice i made.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Trees! Here goes a new update. Yesterday I skied Sugar Bowl, which closes today. See the report here.

I had, in the same day, ice, firm, hero, slush, and sticky snow. The latter was no pleasure, but I didn't use any specific "base structure" or wax. Just my regular run on base and cream fluoro on top. The most interesting bit from the skis perspective was that I tried two new things: a bump run that was still firm. It wasn't frozen, and they weren't big bumps, but it was really nice to have these skis for the run. I could pivot but I could carve. This kind of run made me really nervous and a lot more defensive last year (less experience, different skis).

The other thing was trees. I don't seek trees because I don't feel confident enough. But this was a time when the runs that had been groomed had completely fallen apart with the hear, so I said "WTH". So I went in.

Wow. I just had so much fun. I didn't do any steep section, and I didn't weave through like a tree skier. I didn't ever pick up serious speed, but then again, I didn't want to. Also, I chose easy glades. But I was soooo comfortable on the rallies. I know I can turn them, I know I can stop quickly, I can steer them, etc. It really is the carving part though that makes me feel safer. I know I can tip and they will turn a short turn.

Happy happy happy with them. The only caveat I would mention on trees is that, if you were to catch an edge, well, there are trees everywhere. The same ease of turn on edge means that a sloppy turn might find you hooking in a direction you didn't intend. This might be obvious to most, but worth posting for the casual reader.

That was day 22 on the skis this season. The skis have been in so many conditions, and I always felt comfortable (except the first couple days when I was super exhilarated and excited but I was struggling with how to control these beasts). Now I can see why Ski Patrol uses rallies at @surfsnowgirl 's hill. The skis are biased to carving, but tremendously versatile.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Late season update. I took them last Saturday to Squaw and they were a total blast.

Right off the gondola at high camp, I noticed two cute siblings at the rack:

20180512_083323_HDR.jpg

I spoke to the couple that owns the other two. She mentioned that the wide shovels make them so versatile (which I agreed to) and she said something that sums it all: "I still need to meet someone who owns them and doesn't love them".

I spent a couple hours drilling on groomers, especially the first hour in Gold Coast. I later moved to Siberia Bowl. Was that fun. I always felt in control, whether I was making a short turn at the top, which is steeper, or carving longer arcs on flatter natural areas, in bumps, or in gladed areas areas back to the lift (Sibo). I mostly skied natural softened snow.

20180512_113128.jpg

For more info and pics, see my day trip report.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I took a pair of Rallys in 170cm to Perisher for the opening weekend (2nd weekend in June). On the one morning we had a firm, smooth groomer, they were an absolute blast. Super turny, super easy. I skied with a big silly grin from ear to ear.

As the day warmed up and the crowds built, the playing surface quickly turned to slushy piles. I found these conditions hard going on the Rallys, they felt inclined to catch random edges and if I wasn't 100% on my game, felt like they were trying to throw me off, like a bucking bronco.

I feel that these are skis that a low to middling intermediate could use to work towards being a better technical skier. These would be skis I'd take to a lesson and use to work on drills.

About me: Low to middling intermediate, 5'9", 245lb, 55yo.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My Rally's have been an utter and complete game changer for me and I thank the person who recommended them to me almost every time I ski them. Last season I played around with different model years and lengths and finally determined that I like the 2017 or 2018 model in a 163. I sold my 170s as they were a tad long for me as I found I preferred this ski to be a tad shorter than the length I normally ski. I'm on the hunt for a 2017 or 2018 pair for next season. I'm an intermediate and don't need the Rally's as as I have other skis but the Rally was such a game changer for me in terms of my skiing that I'm not ready to give them up yet. Now that I know what year and size I prefer I'd like to grab a pair and really spend time on them. There's a few on eBay right now so I'm watching and waiting. The only thing I'm not sure they excel at are bumps but by spring time I'm on different skis anyway. The Rally is an amazing ski, dare I say it's a ski everyone should own, that or the Titan.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last season I played around with different model years and lengths and finally determined that I like the 2017 or 2018 model in a 163. I sold my 170s as they were a tad long for me as I found I preferred this ski to be a tad shorter than the length I normally ski.
My basis for choosing a ski length is to look at the range of lengths on offer and choose a length within the range that corresponds with where my level is, rather than an absolute length measurement. So if you are comfortable on a mid-length all-mountain ski, the mid-length 163 Rally would be the corresponding ski and the 170 would be a step up.

As I'm carrying a fair bit of excess baggage at 245lb, I can bend skis at fairly low speeds and tend to find the second-longest on offer is my sweet spot as I'm usually a cautious skier. Hence the 170cm Rally.