• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2017-18 Head Rally for an Intermediate

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I'm curious: what's your boot sole length? Phil - or somebody else - can chime in here, but I believe longer boot sole lengths can affect ski feel. Probably because the longer sole effectively places the ball-of-foot a bit further back - and perhaps making the ski's sweet spot a little harder to access.

I have Raptor RS 140s, 28.5 mondo size, and around 325 sole length. I too tested skiing Rallys and Titans with the bindings moved forward a bit. I found I liked them better set 1 to 2 clicks forward. I haven't noticed any increased tendency for tail washout - but I'm not an 11 10ths skier either.

My BSL is currently 316 (mondo 27.5). My feeling is that my weight is better balanced now along the ski length overall, and the couple tail washouts weren't anything spectacularly bad. Just surprising because these tails are flat an a little wide and if anything, they hold, They still do, and, to be sure, my weakest link right now is stance (need to be more forward) and separation. So, some of it might have to do more with my limitations than my body build.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I skied my Ralkys all day today. Whatta ski. I bounced back and forth with this ski last season. Different years, lengths and finally settled on a 2018 in a 163. These things are great. Had them in trees, bumps and groomers and just had a blast. They are stable, easy to ski and really hold an edge.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Here is an update after a long while. I've been mostly skiing on my Enforcer 100s, off-piste, with the Rallies as my skis for firm conditions (icy days, etc). This Thursday I went up to Tahoe, in what was going to be firm conditions at least early on. So I took both. I only skied the Rallies.

As I am standing on the lift line, I hear from behind "nice skis". It wasn't clear that it was for me, but as I turn my head, this guy is looking at me with a huge smile, on some head skis. They look very different, but he tells me "they are the same, but these are newer". So, we wind up talking on the lift. He tells me that his friend is an instructor and recommended that he buys these to improve his skiing but also because he has a bad knee and is recovering from an ankle injury, so he is cruising groomers and taking it easy. He absolute loves these. We compared the tips: his newer model has a similar tail and a smoother front.

Anyways, things softened up later in some areas, to some extent. So, I started stepping out, but decided to stay on the rallies. Here is a video with some samples of the fun day I had:

In the morning they were a hoot on the groomers, I felt pretty comfy in chalky/firm bumps a couple hours later, and as the sun heated the south facing bowl on the backside I took them there. I like the Enforcers better in those conditions, but it was fun to take the rallies in there and work a little harder. What a versatile carver! And I would imagine the new generation is even more versatile with a less hooky tip. Good stuff!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is an update after a long while. I've been mostly skiing on my Enforcer 100s, off-piste, with the Rallies as my skis for firm conditions (icy days, etc). This Thursday I went up to Tahoe, in what was going to be firm conditions at least early on. So I took both. I only skied the Rallies.

As I am standing on the lift line, I hear from behind "nice skis". It wasn't clear that it was for me, but as I turn my head, this guy is looking at me with a huge smile, on some head skis. They look very different, but he tells me "they are the same, but these are newer". So, we wind up talking on the lift. He tells me that his friend is an instructor and recommended that he buys these to improve his skiing but also because he has a bad knee and is recovering from an ankle injury, so he is cruising groomers and taking it easy. He absolute loves these. We compared the tips: his newer model has a similar tail and a smoother front.

Anyways, things softened up later in some areas, to some extent. So, I started stepping out, but decided to stay on the rallies. Here is a video with some samples of the fun day I had:

In the morning they were a hoot on the groomers, I felt pretty comfy in chalky/firm bumps a couple hours later, and as the sun heated the south facing bowl on the backside I took them there. I like the Enforcers better in those conditions, but it was fun to take the rallies in there and work a little harder. What a versatile carver! And I would imagine the new generation is even more versatile with a less hooky tip. Good stuff!
Was he on the e-Rally?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Beautiful terrain.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
received the new heating element along with switch under warranty a few days ago. so far excellent service

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
There's an Irish joke in there somewhere
oreally.jpg