• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0476.JPG
Augment All Mountain 77 Ti-Carbon
Dimensions: 121.5-77-107.5
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 175
Size tested: 175
Design: New Graphics Technology

You might have heard of Augment, but chances are you haven’t. How about this name: Croc? Not the soft squooshy clogs that seniors wear with white socks around Boca Raton, but the premium race ski that has earned its way into many countries' alpine racing pools. Still no? Well, let's fill you in with a bit of background, as we started talking about Croc Skis HERE. Although the company had marketing rights to the name "Croc" for skis, it knew opportunities would be limited when expanding to clothing and other items, so it decided midstream to change its name to Augment.

@ScotsSkier has been testing Augment's race skis over the past few weeks, and some of our testers were able to get on them at the trade show; these reviews will be published in due time. This review is about the AM77 Ti-Carbon. Augment isn’t just jumping into the deep end of the premium ski pool; it isn't even cannonballing in. It is doing a reverse 2½ somersault with 2½ twists. The company is going in a unique direction by offering its race and premium all-mountain skis in a range of flexes, from 1 as the stiffest to 10 as the softest (or, as they refer to it, “flimsy” -- I think they might want to work on their translations). The pair that we are testing is a 4, or “stiff.” After spending a half day on them, I wonder what level of World Cup athlete would be needed to ski a 1.

Occasionally I get on a ski that just slows down time. What do I mean by that? Well, it's when you have so much control that everything around you slows down, including your heart rate and breathing. If you have experienced this in skiing or any other sport, you know what I am talking about. If you have never had this sensation, when you eventually do, you will think, “Oh, that's what Phil meant.” The Augment AM77 Ti-Carbon is one of those rare skis that does that for you.

Like many premium skis, these are very understated, not only in the graphics but in the dimensions, 121.5-77-107.5 with a modest 16.5m radius in the 175 length. But like most skis in this realm, don’t go by the numbers alone; the AM77 will make huge GS turns. In fact, that feels like what the ski was bred to do. But you will also be fine lightening things up with short swing turns. Augment’s description of the AM77 likens it to an Audi RS4; IMHO, it feels more like an RS7.

The day I skied the AM77 at Rose was beautiful wind buff with a 2 or 3 in. of fresh on top. We were testing a few other skis, and as the day went on, snow piles started to accumulate and the conditions got a bit varied. Some of the other skis started to show their limits at this point, which is when I got on the Augment. The AM77 just flattened everything as if it were freshly groomed again. My legs has started to feel a bit fatigued on the previous run, but the Augment gave them a shot of life. I felt rejuvenated and was starting to ski stronger and faster and more confidently than I was earlier in the day.
  • Who is it for? The well-heeled good skier. If you know how to make a strong turn and you have deep pockets, you will be handsomely rewarded.
  • Who is it not for? Those who have trouble deciding and second guess their own decisions. "Should I buy a 4 or a 5 flex?" "Should I have bought the 6 or gone to a 7?" This could cause insomnia.
  • Insider tip: I would like to try same ski in different flexes to discern the differences. Honestly, I think Augment could get away with three flexes: soft, medium, and stiff.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The pair that we are testing is a 4, or “stiff.” After spending a half day on them, I wonder what level of World Cup athlete would be needed to ski a 1.

Occasionally I get on a ski that just slows down time.

The day I skied the AM77 at Rose was beautiful wind buff with a 2 or 3 in. of fresh on top. We were testing a few other skis, and as the day went on, snow piles started to accumulate and the conditions got a bit varied. Some of the other skis started to show their limits at this point, which is when I got on the Augment. The AM77 just flattened everything as if it were freshly groomed again. My legs has started to feel a bit fatigued on the previous run, but the Augment gave them a shot of life. I felt rejuvenated and was starting to ski stronger and faster and more confidently than I was earlier in the day.

What Phil said.

This is a serious ski. Phil knows how much I love my Blossom Great Shapes and offered me a ride on the AM77, saying they had much in common. I only had 4 or 5 runs on them, but what a ride it was. I only weigh 140 lb and this #4 was way too stiff for me, but I got to peek into the box and it looked really good. Like my Blossoms, the AM77 is powerful, damp, stable, heavy , smooooooth and capable, they lock onto an edge when you tell them to, release or feather when you want to, have a big sweet spot and are just plain fun. My weight and their stiffness made bending them into short-radius turns challenging, but I could do it when I jumped on them hard. Longer radius turns required patience but these sticks made it easy to have the confidence to just ride them out. Irregular piles of heavy crud interspersed with slick spots were no problem. I had problems in steep bumps because of the stiffness, but they are so good at what they do, I managed. And did I say smoooooth? And did I say powerful? Because they are.

Impressive.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the things the Augment people told me they are doing is build custom race skis to spec - exact stiffness, shape, etc. The more you know what you want - or can bring in a ski or skis that represent what you want, the more they can dial it in for you, with modifications and finish of your choosing. For a price, you can be like the top racers dialing in custom, to spec, race skis - with the build and the finish detailed to a perfection none but the top racers ever get to ski on.

Neat, if you know what you want in some detail, or can get to that with their and other help. Expensive, though.

It will be interesting to see what sorts of experiments and projects come from this company. Hope they prosper, in some form at least.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the things the Augment people told me they are doing is build custom race skis to spec - exact stiffness, shape, etc. The more you know what you want - or can bring in a ski or skis that represent what you want, the more they can dial it in for you, with modifications and finish of your choosing. For a price, you can be like the top racers dialing in custom, to spec, race skis - with the build and the finish detailed to a perfection none but the top racers ever get to ski on.

Neat, if you know what you want in some detail, or can get to that with their and other help. Expensive, though.

It will be interesting to see what sorts of experiments and projects come from this company. Hope they prosper, in some form at least.

Expensive? Well, these are in the $1,200 range, so not much different than a comparable Stöckli, Renoun or Kästle and a build level on par, or dare I say better.

I would really be intrigued to ski a 1, 5 and 10 flex back to back to back. I am interested in what they perceive "flimsy" to be. To quote Indigo Montoya, "You keep using that word [flimsy], I don't think it means what you think it means".

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ That's Inconceivable !

One of my favourite movies, and soundtrack by Mark Knopfler ( dIRE sTRAITS )

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Occationally I get on a ski that just gets under my ski, the AM77 is one of those skis. This is strange because the dimensions are pretty average, normally I prefer a bit more tip in a 77...mid to upper 120mm range but the 121.5mm tip here does great going to a turn, reason #2384 that we need to get past the published numbers.

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
I personally would never describe a 77mm, 175cm ski as all mountain. I would describe this ski as a frontside groomer.

But it doesn't matter as it is way out of my price range (I am an unabashed cheapskate).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I personally would never describe a 77mm, 175cm ski as all mountain. I would describe this ski as a frontside groomer.

But it doesn't matter as it is way out of my price range (I am an unabashed cheapskate).
Remember, Augment is an Austrian company, their definition of "All Mountain" is different than the US market. In fact you could ask 10 American skiers to tell you what their perception of what "all mountain" means to them...and you will get 14 responces ;).

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Phil....how is the build quality...finish detail...etc.? These guys are serious about their skis...I assume the product is top-shelf...can't wait to try some of their designs...been having trouble getting Augment to stop racing long enough to loan out some test skis! I hear nothing but good impressions from racers...curious about their more civilian models!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil....how is the build quality...finish detail...etc.? These guys are serious about their skis...I assume the product is top-shelf...can't wait to try some of their designs...been having trouble getting Augment to stop racing long enough to loan out some test skis! I hear nothing but good impressions from racers...curious about their more civilian models!

The Augment skis I was on and others I fondled at SIA were well put together with a nice finish and tune. Very understated graphics but yet attractive. The guys in the tent were knowledgeable and appreciated questions about their skis. Augment is a company to pay attention to if refined skis make your giggity go giggity-giggity.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The finish out of the box is impeccable...beautful, nice structure and finished edges. I am hoping to get out on some of their masters SL's this week.

James

Out There
Instructor
Did this have a plate on it?
Denver Sports Lab carried Crocs allegedly. I don't see that now with Augment? Any dealers in the US?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did this have a plate on it?
Denver Sports Lab carried Crocs allegedly. I don't see that now with Augment? Any dealers in the US?
These are mounted with Look SPX Konnect bindings but can be purchased flat. As far as dealers, they are working on that, I am not sure who is confirmed.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I asked about the price of a pair of custom GS skis, to spec, the rep I talked to wasn't sure yet, but he said, depending on what was involved, probably ball park starting in the range of $1,400 or so. For a custom race ski, hand finished to high standards, above what the top brands can offer the public, he said.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As mentioned in the Croc thread in Feb-2018, that AM77 wasn't expensive -> it was available for 800 euros flat at Sport Jennewein in St. Anton.

Looking at the Augment website now, you can have most any ski for 850-900 euros

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Thanks @Philpug god review.....Getting a review of the Croc, now Augment, has been an interest of many here for the past couple of years, this member included!!!. ........are you in a position to elaborate, or provide more detail about the flex? 1-10 is a pretty big range. Was the 4 "too much" ski for your tests? How incremental is the flex and where would a skiers really notice the difference? If 1 if a plank, is a 4 or a 5 read for a strong recreational skier? What other skis would be comparable to the Augment 77? Put differently, how would the Augment 77 compare to a SR88, or a Stockli AX or the Kastle MX84?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Philpug god review.....Getting a review of the Croc, now Augment, has been an interest of many here for the past couple of years, this member included!!!. ........are you in a position to elaborate, or provide more detail about the flex? 1-10 is a pretty big range. Was the 4 "too much" ski for your tests? How incremental is the flex and where would a skiers really notice the difference? If 1 if a plank, is a 4 or a 5 read for a strong recreational skier? What other skis would be comparable to the Augment 77? Put differently, how would the Augment 77 compare to a SR88, or a Stockli AX or the Kastle MX84?
Yes, the range of 1-10 is a bit much, i think 3 flexes would probably be enough. As far as the 4 flex, I think it is on the stronger side of medium for this type of ski, stiffer but not overly demanding. Honestly, i see no reason to make a 77 any stiffer than what this is, now a "1" for a race ski might be warrented, here not so much. Augment offers an 88 that will go up against the SR88 and Kastle MX89, expect some reviews of that ski coming soon, some of our testers got on them in Copper and Snowbasin. As far as comaparing against say a Laser AX, expect a comparision test coming up soon that will include the Stockli along with other premium upper 70mm skis.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember, Augment is an Austrian company, their definition of "All Mountain" is different than the US market. In fact you could ask 10 American skiers to tell you what their perception of what "all mountain" means to them...and you will get 14 responces ;).

That, and they sure felt good in heavy chop that would grab or toss around many 90 mm skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some info from their site:
----------
At the Winter Olympic Games 2018 in Korea, eighteen athletes skied with our skis at men’s and women’s Slalom, Giant Slalom, Downhill and SkiCross.

After our Croc Ski registered trademark was challenged by two companies, we decided to retain our much-loved logo and continue delivering top quality skis under the new name AUGMENT.
----

--------
The aim of the AUGMENT ski fitting process is to find each skier’s perfect ski with exactly the right stiffness. We do this so that when your weight and centripetal force are pushing on the ski, the rest of the ski’s edge is being flexed toward the ground so that the metal edge of the ski digs into the snow at the same angle down the whole ski. The ski with the right stiffness hold its edge and continue to track through the turn even when it’s pushed very hard.

As a rule, free ride skis are softer than piste and race skis, as they need to be more forgiving to absorb bumps and stomp landings in the park and won’t require as much pressure to carve on a less stable terrain.

Piste and Race skis are made stiffer, as the skier presses much harder to push out of his turns and so accelerate out of a carve, and this is all done on a very stable, hard pack race piste, where the snow is unlikely to give way. A reverse camber shape is made in the snow when pressure is applied underfoot by the skier, and this carves the ski in a turn.

Torsional Stiffness
A longitudinally softer ski that is stiff torsionally will hold fast when you engage the sidecut but will have a speed limit. A ski that is longitudinally stiff but is softer torsionally will cut a straight line through crud.
---------
https://augment-sports.com/ski-fitting/ski-stiffness/

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
@Philpug I'm echoing @James question above.....If Augment is making an aggressive move into the premium ski market, do they have a North American marketing/distribution plan that they were willing to share? Or do you think that the company is going to reply on the website for orders/sales? Very cool that there will be more coming from the Pugski crew about Augment. Look forward to it......

Sponsor