• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am new here, but have read through the last 16 pages on the 86 GT and I am not sure I found my answer. I'm trying to narrow my ski section down and maybe some one could help. Currently I have a 108 underfoot powder ski and a Fischer Ranger 92 Ti which I use for my groomer/travel/skinning ski. Both skis work well, for what they are designed to do, but I want something I can really rip giant slalom type turns, something that will really bite into ice, is heavy enough to plow through crud, and, hopefully, it will work well for bumps. I love bumps.

I have read through reviews and watched views on the RC One 86 GT. It seems like it would be a great ski. But I also wonder if the Brahma 88 is the ski I actually need. I demoed a Bonafide about 5 years ago, when they were still orange. That ski was awesome on ice, would rip the big turns, and would plow through anything in the afternoon. But in bumps, if you got backseat, well, you can get bucked pretty easily. With that said, I want a thinner ski below foot where I can learn to carve. Brahma 88 seems to do this well from the reviews I have read.

The Brahma looks good, but I have an issue. I can get a hell of a deal on the Fischer RC One 86 GT. A really good deal. But will it do what I am looking for? I am 6'2, 210 lbs., 49, athletic, and I would say an aggressive skier. I don't know how to classify my ski style. I have been called "expert" by friends and family, but I actually don't know what that means and who knows if they are qualified to make that assement, so I'm going to call myself advanced - expert. Maybe?

The GS turns, bite on ice, plowing through crud instead of going over top of it, and bumps are what I want out of this ski. I ski mainly in the west, but I live in Pennsylvania and hit the ice at the local resorts, and Vermont, about 5-6 times a year. Fischer RC One 86 GT or Brahma 88? If it helps, I will get the 86 GT in the 182 and Brahma 88 in the 183.

Since you're interested in the 86 GT, I would suggest the 82 GT in 173cm as being the better option (if you're truly looking for SL-like turns on an all-mountain type ski).

James

Out There
Instructor
The GS turns, bite on ice, plowing through crud instead of going over top of it, and bumps are what I want out of this ski. I ski mainly in the west, but I live in Pennsylvania and hit the ice at the local resorts, and Vermont, about 5-6 times a year. Fischer RC One 86 GT or Brahma 88? If it helps, I will get the 86 GT in the 182 and Brahma 88 in the 183.
@Noodler , he’s looking for more gs.
Maybe you can answer the crud question. Seems the tip more goes over.
You’d definitely want the 182 over the 175. It’s got the ice thing ok I’d say.
My issue with the ski is it lacks any sort of subtlety and feel that to me makes skis interesting. But that’s personal.

Gizzard Lips

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Since you're interested in the 86 GT, I would suggest the 82 GT in 173cm as being the better option (if you're truly looking for SL-like turns on an all-mountain type ski).
Noodler,

I am actually looking for a GS ski (big old turns). And at my height, and weight, I would bend the GT 82. I defitniely need the 86 GT and the 182. Unfortunately, this is the only part I know.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think the GT would be better for you than the Brahma when it is time to lay down some carve. I just got my 2nd pair and wouldn’t change a thing about them.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The GT86 is a blast on groomers and very good knifing through crud. It works in the bumps, but not really a bump ski. It is versatile enough to do bumps just fine, but when I ski it, I feel like it encourages me to ski more groomers, wind buff chalky stuff, steeps, bowls off piste with smaller bumps/piles, but not really bump runs with big moguls. so if you are talking about off piste moguls you find in steeper bowls that you can do more of a GS turn in, the Fischer is great there. If you are talking about zippering down a "bump run," you probably want something narrower under foot and this is not really the ski for that (but it will do it with the right input, though the ski may yawn a bit).

I haven't been on a Brahma since 2018. That vintage felt like a free ride ski that could also lay down some carves. It was not as good in bumps as the ski I picked then - the Kendo - which was happier in a skid than the Brahma. The GT86 feels more technical than the Brahma or Kendo (again these are the older vintage Kendo/Brahma, not sure how the newest ones play). The GT86 is a carving ski, crud buster, bowl cruiser, use the edges, get some angles, you-can-skid-me-but-you-are-missing-out, kind of ski.*

I am 6'1 and 210 lbs and have the 182 GT86 (2019/20 graphics).

*YMMV, signed "dude from the internet."

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I own the 2020 Brahma 88 in 187cm, black top sheet, and have demo'd the RC One 86 GT in 178cm. I am a clyde and needed the longer length in the RC One. My take is the RC One has a tip that initiates a turn much quicker, and is the better groomer carver. The Brahma is a more freeride design and is more GS and can pivot a turn or slide the tail out a lot better. Off piste the Brahma wins and on groomers the RC One wins. I skied the Brahma Sunday at the NE gathering at Killington VT and it was perfect on Kton's half frozen/half slush slopes and in the moguls. You can pivot it through the moguls pretty well. It still skies great at speed and through piles on groomers with its two sheets of metal. Read the Blister review of that gen Brahma. The current gen Brahma moved closer to the RC One's performance. Another skier at Kton was on the RC One and he loved his ski. You will like either. Based on what you described, I would suggest Brahma, but which ever you get the better deal on would be my advice to go with.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember from my demo back in 2020 the ranger 92 ti was a bump ripping machine. Way better than either the brahmas I also demoed there or rc ones I demoed this season.

But I agree with @Noodler the 82 rc one is not to be over looked as a frontside ski. Some here seem to think it's a lesser ski. It's not.

Last edited:

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
I own both the RC One 86 GT and Brahma 88 both 20/21 models - same as this year's as well. These skis are more similar than different. Both are very stable, damp, smooth, with excellent edge grip. I would say the the Fischer is a more "automatic", and enthusiastic carver, put it up on edge, pressure the ski and it pulls you into the turn. The RC One is the better ski for carving turns on groomers, great carver for a ski this wide. The Brahma wants a little more input from the skier, tip them up on edge, drive your shin into the tongue of the boot and it engages and rails. It carves pretty well for an 88 waist ski, but it really shines in more 3 dimensional snow conditions. Great crud and shallow off-piste ride. You really can't miss with either one. I like both enough to own both, but could be happy with either one if I only had one.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Came across this deal in case anyone is looking for a set on a great deal.

I've been eyeballing these in 182 cm, but not sure they would be friendly enough in the bumps.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been eyeballing these in 182 cm, but not sure they would be friendly enough in the bumps.
What do you have in your quiver now for a narrower ski? (I.e., narrower than those Legends.) Apologies if you were wearing them one day and I forgot.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you would like them in the bumps, quicker turning from the tip and maybe a little less pivotable, but a nice ski for Kton I think. When I was on them in the 175cm length, kind of reminded me of my slalom ski with a 14m radius. Very responsive tip on these guys. Phil says the tail is able to be broken loose, so not a locked in tail like a slalom ski.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What do you have in your quiver now for a narrower ski? (I.e., narrower than those Legends.) Apologies if you were wearing them one day and I forgot.

I think you would like them in the bumps, quicker turning from the tip and maybe a little less pivotable, but a nice ski for Kton I think. When I was on them in the 175cm length, kind of reminded me of my slalom ski with a 14m radius. Very responsive tip on these guys. Phil says the tail is able to be broken loose, so not a locked in tail like a slalom ski.
The Legend X88 are only 2 mm wider. I skied my Rossi Hero Elite LT (69 mm underfoot) on Saturday, but don't really like those in the bumps too much. I reserve those for fast and firm days. I'm looking for an all mtn ski that carves well enough without compromising in the bumps. The Legends have 80 days with a delamination rock hit that has been repaired, but advised to reserve for rock skis ASAP.

I asked the Snowshed demo shop if they still had any skies, including the RC One 86 GT in the longest length, but he said their inventory for any skis like that are out. They also carry Faction Dictators like those Jane got there last year, but again sold out or not carried in the longest length. The new Dictator 1.0 (86 mm) are a bit more freeride than the RC Ones. The RC Ones and the Legends both have tapered pintail to help them break loose, but both are flat compared to the Dictators with a slight rise. All these skis were comparable in stiffness by Sooth Ski. So many choices of great skis.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Came across this deal in case anyone is looking for a set on a great deal.

The Legend X88 are only 2 mm wider. I skied my Rossi Hero Elite LT (69 mm underfoot) on Saturday, but don't really like those in the bumps too much. I reserve those for fast and firm days. I'm looking for an all mtn ski that carves well enough without compromising in the bumps. The Legends have 80 days with a delamination rock hit that has been repaired, but advised to reserve for rock skis ASAP.

Okay, so essentially you're looking to replace your Legend 88s, correct?

Do you like them a lot? If so, have you been on the descendent M-Pro 90 (for example)? I have one run on those, not in bumps. I can see how people might like it. Distinctive snow feel.

I've been on a shorter length of the Fischer 82 and 86 for a few runs. Based on hand-flexing with Noodler's 82, the stiffness increases dramatically with length, at least from 168 to 175 or whatever it was. Anyway, the 86 is a really nice ski but I'm not sure I'd pick it for a bump improvement ski. Your Legends were probably better for that in that width sector.

Having skied with you a little now, I'm thinking maybe look at something that's not necessarily super light-and-lively but is easier going than the Fischer in the off-piste. After all, you have those Rossis for getting your inner Federica on, right?

I see that while I've been sporadically working on this post James has again suggested the Stance 90. I'm guessing that falls into the category I just described - solid but not demanding.

If it were me I'd be checking out the new Kastle FX 86, or the old one if you're on a budget. (I saw the older 20-21 model for sale cheap in a local shop - like $399 or something.) Other ideas, based on my subjective preferences as well as design characteristics: Stormrider 88, Rustler 9. I love the Wingman series, but had not thought of it as much of a ski for the ungroomed. However, @flying_j recently posted this review that might be worth checking out, easterner that you are. Note that he also liked the QST 92. Meanwhile there may still be some previous year Evolv 90s floating around out there at very low prices. Really nice ski.

Others will no doubt recommend the Kendo, Brahma, etc. No experience on the newest incarnations of those skis, but lots of people sure love them.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Okay, so essentially you're looking to replace your Legend 88s, correct?

Do you like them a lot? If so, have you been on the descendent M-Pro 90 (for example)? I have one run on those, not in bumps. I can see how people might like it. Distinctive snow feel.

I've been on a shorter length of the Fischer 82 and 86 for a few runs. Based on hand-flexing with Noodler's 82, the stiffness increases dramatically with length, at least from 168 to 175 or whatever it was. Anyway, the 86 is a really nice ski but I'm not sure I'd pick it for a bump improvement ski. Your Legends were probably better for that in that width sector.

Having skied with you a little now, I'm thinking maybe look at something that's not necessarily super light-and-lively but is easier going than the Fischer in the off-piste. After all, you have those Rossis for getting your inner Federica on, right?

I see that while I've been sporadically working on this post James has again suggested the Stance 90. I'm guessing that falls into the category I just described - solid but not demanding.

If it were me I'd be checking out the new Kastle FX 86, or the old one if you're on a budget. (I saw the older 20-21 model for sale cheap in a local shop - like $399 or something.) Other ideas, based on my subjective preferences as well as design characteristics: Stormrider 88, Rustler 9. I love the Wingman series, but had not thought of it as much of a ski for the ungroomed. However, @flying_j recently posted this review that might be worth checking out, easterner that you are. Note that he also liked the QST 92. Meanwhile there may still be some previous year Evolv 90s floating around out there at very low prices. Really nice ski.

Others will no doubt recommend the Kendo, Brahma, etc. No experience on the newest incarnations of those skis, but lots of people sure love them.
Everyone has their favorites and recommends them, but I like demoing even knowing the pitfalls. I got lucky with the Legends at a pre-pandemic Killington free demo day. I was at the Rossi tent to test the E88 and E94, and they had them lurking in the back. No advertising for Dynastar demos. I demoed the X96 as well and liked them more than the Rossis and other demos that day. No demo days since due to the pandemic, but Potter Bros in Snowshed has a good selection of the less common choices compared to the other shops on the access road. So no to demo on the M-Pro 90 or the Stance. Perhaps next year. Paradoxically, I've liked the snow feel of every Fischer skis I've demoed/skied over the years. I liked the Motive 86, never was on the Pro MTN, so would be taking a flier on the RC One since it is supposed to be more like the Motive than the Pro MTN which was supposed to be better in the bumps.

I have found a new $300 Legend X88 flat nearby, but thought I should step up to a new generation of skis. Once you ski any skis awhile, you start to notice the flaws more. The Legends require more input to start a turn than similar skis like the Experience skis, which I read has been fixed in the M-Pro 90. I'm a bit cheap when it comes to skis especially as I am a little hard on them due to technique and weight. Don't normally look at Kastle or Stockli (tools, not jewels). That said, this is the time of the year for sales so I'll take a look. I think I've been talked out of the RC Ones for my next daily driver.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Legends require more input to start a turn than similar skis like the Experience skis,
There is always a trade-off between early and quick edge engagement, which is what you want on a groomer, and slow and gradual edge engagement, which is what you want in bumps and crud.

Sponsor