• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
No doubt on groomer but I was surprised by its off-trial versatility.
View attachment 128295

Me too. Granted I haven't been skiing the 86 GT per se as I don't own it yet, but when I did test it I didn't get a chance to seriously put it through its paces in lots of off-piste skiing. However, I have been putting the Pro MT 86 and 95 through lots of off-piste skiing and they have the same effective ski geometry with a different core construction. I am quite impressed with how they handle all kinds of tough snow conditions and terrain. What I like most is the confidence they are building in me. I can trust to take them pretty much anywhere without concern.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, shoot. Swing and a miss.

Evo mis-shipped them, and they arrived nearly a week later than promised.

With minor, but significant base damage on both skis. Light base grind required.

Evo offered nothing, so back they went. Maybe next season.

BayouSome

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was in there a week ago and noticed those skis. Can't say I registered that they were flat.

Shop is okay. Not someplace you'd rush to for performance alpine advice but not fly by night either.

I called two locations and left voice mails and e-mailed twice and NO response about these skis from them......

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine have been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks now and I've yet to ski them, which frustrates me. But given the problems @Tom K. and others have had I realize things could be a lot worse.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

With minor, but significant base damage on both skis. Light base grind required.

Sorry, to hear that. I haven't dealt with Evo in many years. I see that they've grown considerably over the years, but possibly are outstripping their customer service.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mine have been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks now and I've yet to ski them, which frustrates me
And that's the ski's fault why? ;)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Mine have been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks now and I've yet to ski them, which frustrates me. But given the problems @Tom K. and others have had I realize things could be a lot worse.
Unbelievable! I've even managed to let my Devastators out to play - on a little 200 ft vertical groomed eastern hill.:ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I called two locations and left voice mails and e-mailed twice and NO response about these skis from them......
Call the Portland store.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier

Interestingly I order mine from Snow Country in the Netherlands Wednesday and they arrived in Colorado on Friday in perfect condition although the box was a bit beat up.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dear dad,
Please take us to the mountains soon. You’ve never ever skied on us and it makes us very sad to just sit here in the garage next to the skis that saw so much more action this season.
Love,
the Fischer RC One 86 GTs
3314AB0A-E560-42D7-B541-41E2D502EADB.jpeg

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
This thread really has some fantastic info in it. Well done to all the testers and de facto testers (i.e. subsequent purchasers).

I really should have pulled the trigger on a pair of 168's when I saw them a month or so ago, but I hadn't done much research at that point so I hesitated. They are tough to find now.

I keep vacillating between wanting a pair of these vs Nordica Enforcer 88's at 172. I know there is a substantial amount of overlap between these skis, so I may be splitting hairs, but without the opportunity to demo easily near me, I wonder which is the better fit for me as a pairing with Ranger 102's. Sounds like the Enforcer is a little better off piste / bumps, and the RC One is a little better on piste - which since I already have a pair of 74mm carvers, would seem to lean towards Enforcers.

I do have a line on a very reasonable used pair of E88's so that may make the decision for me.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread is a good example of why I like to see two year graphic cycles, sometimes it just takes some momentum to get a ski going.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This thread really has some fantastic info in it. Well done to all the testers and de facto testers (i.e. subsequent purchasers).

I really should have pulled the trigger on a pair of 168's when I saw them a month or so ago, but I hadn't done much research at that point so I hesitated. They are tough to find now.

I keep vacillating between wanting a pair of these vs Nordica Enforcer 88's at 172. I know there is a substantial amount of overlap between these skis, so I may be splitting hairs, but without the opportunity to demo easily near me, I wonder which is the better fit for me as a pairing with Ranger 102's. Sounds like the Enforcer is a little better off piste / bumps, and the RC One is a little better on piste - which since I already have a pair of 74mm carvers, would seem to lean towards Enforcers.

I do have a line on a very reasonable used pair of E88's so that may make the decision for me.

The big difference I have noticed is that the Enforcer 88 doesn't have as strong of a pull across the slope on turn-in as the 86 GT. The published sidecut of the Nordica Enforcer series is a clear case of more of a "marketing" estimate that brings in other factors (like the rocker profile) than the actual calculated sidecut. This becomes quite apparent when you ski them (if you're familiar with and have expectations for specific published sidecut radius numbers).

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
The big difference I have noticed is that the Enforcer 88 doesn't have as strong of a pull across the slope on turn-in as the 86 GT. The published sidecut of the Nordica Enforcer series is a clear case of more of a "marketing" estimate that brings in other factors (like the rocker profile) than the actual calculated sidecut. This becomes quite apparent when you ski them (if you're familiar with and have expectations for specific published sidecut radius numbers).

Makes sense. I would think that the lack of pull across ("hooking up" into the turn, if you will) is probably precisely what makes the E88 a more forgiving, smearable ski off piste and in bumps (or so I've heard), whereas the GT's strong hook up makes it the more energetic groomer ski. Having a groomer ski already makes me thing the E88 or similar is probably the better call, vs if I was ditching the groomer ski and going to a 2-ski quiver, the GT or similar would make more sense.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any love for the RC One 82 GT ?
Based on this thread from last season and the great comments on the 86 GT, I grabbed a new set of 82 GT 173cm with their factory RSW 11 bindings for dirt cheap at SideLineSwap from a dealer out in Idaho last spring. I'm into not-so-demanding skis these days, and thought I'd take a flyer on the 82 vs the 86. My season up here near Toronto was very short ( and over now ), but I did get 4 good outings on them from frozen corduroy, to mildly pushed around softer snow, and really enjoyed them for those outings. I usually like to have my bindings 1 notch or 2 forward, but I skied these only on the line. They held and pulled through a turn really well and I think the factory tune was excellent on these. The tail might have been a bit stronger for my wants, as I might have liked a bit more release but that might be resolved by moving the bindings up a notch next season, or mildly detuning them a bit. I look forward to getting them into more challenging / diverse snow next season. The 173 length was just right for me. And I'm a fan of green / green cosmetics. The Brahma 82 was also on my radar but the cheap price of the Fischer's made them a no-brainer. Very happy with my purchase. :thumb:
I also had brand-new Enforcer 88 that never saw any snow, a bummer of a season, will save it up for next year.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried the RC One 82 in 173 for a day, borrowed from a buddy. They were fine, perform well, nothing really stood out for me thought. My buddy ended up selling them and got the MX84 instead.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any love for the RC One 82 GT ?
Based on this thread from last season and the great comments on the 86 GT, I grabbed a new set of 82 GT 173cm with their factory RSW 11 bindings for dirt cheap at SideLineSwap from a dealer out in Idaho last spring. I'm into not-so-demanding skis these days, and thought I'd take a flyer on the 82 vs the 86. My season up here near Toronto was very short ( and over now ), but I did get 4 good outings on them from frozen corduroy, to mildly pushed around softer snow, and really enjoyed them for those outings. I usually like to have my bindings 1 notch or 2 forward, but I skied these only on the line. They held and pulled through a turn really well and I think the factory tune was excellent on these. The tail might have been a bit stronger for my wants, as I might have liked a bit more release but that might be resolved by moving the bindings up a notch next season, or mildly detuning them a bit. I look forward to getting them into more challenging / diverse snow next season. The 173 length was just right for me. And I'm a fan of green / green cosmetics. The Brahma 82 was also on my radar but the cheap price of the Fischer's made them a no-brainer. Very happy with my purchase. :thumb:
I also had brand-new Enforcer 88 that never saw any snow, a bummer of a season, will save it up for next year.
Factory tunes on Fischers always seem good. (Kills me to spend money on a grind with a brand new ski.) Add in a reasonable starting price on and it seems like a big win. Been wanting to try these, just because I often like the "one step down, one step narrower" ski in these quasi frontside lineups.

Sponsor