• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Factory tunes on Fischers always seem good. (Kills me to spend money on a grind with a brand new ski.) Add in a reasonable starting price on and it seems like a big win. Been wanting to try these, just because I often like the "one step down, one step narrower" ski in these quasi frontside lineups.

The Ukrainian built Fischers have been hit or miss for me for the out of the wrapper tunes. The stuff coming out of Austria is quite good.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Any love for the RC One 82 GT ?
Based on this thread from last season and the great comments on the 86 GT, I grabbed a new set of 82 GT 173cm with their factory RSW 11 bindings for dirt cheap at SideLineSwap from a dealer out in Idaho last spring. I'm into not-so-demanding skis these days, and thought I'd take a flyer on the 82 vs the 86. My season up here near Toronto was very short ( and over now ), but I did get 4 good outings on them from frozen corduroy, to mildly pushed around softer snow, and really enjoyed them for those outings. I usually like to have my bindings 1 notch or 2 forward, but I skied these only on the line. They held and pulled through a turn really well and I think the factory tune was excellent on these. The tail might have been a bit stronger for my wants, as I might have liked a bit more release but that might be resolved by moving the bindings up a notch next season, or mildly detuning them a bit. I look forward to getting them into more challenging / diverse snow next season. The 173 length was just right for me. And I'm a fan of green / green cosmetics. The Brahma 82 was also on my radar but the cheap price of the Fischer's made them a no-brainer. Very happy with my purchase. :thumb:
I also had brand-new Enforcer 88 that never saw any snow, a bummer of a season, will save it up for next year.

I have never skied the 82 GT, so it's good to hear some thoughts on how they ski. I do have the Fischer Brilliant MT which is the same geometry as the Pro MT 80 Ti, but with a different layup (more carbon and full length Diagotex). I really like this ski and I've been on the hunt for the Pro MT 80 Ti, but haven't found anything at this point. I bet it's probably fairly similar to the 82 GT.

Fischer Brilliant skis are their high-line versions of some of their existing models, but they make them more "exclusive" with a limited run and use more expensive construction. They also provide personalization options for the skis. I decided to go with an old shot of me skiing, so I filled in the online form and submitted the picture. This was back in November I think. About 2 weeks ago the personalization badges actually showed up in the mail. I thought that they had probably ended the option since the skis are from a couple seasons ago. I was surprised to get anything.

The "presentation" packaging for the badges:
20210307_210347078_iOS (2).jpg

Installed on the ski tails:
20210307_211649640_iOS (2).jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
What does the ‘GT’ stand for in the 86 or the Curve? In actuality or people’s impressions? With the Curve I just thought GT was the fat one.

Looks like they have a 73mm Rc One

25F46F25-D250-4257-ADFD-4AB8EE944594.jpeg

062E7CBF-6FB8-49D9-9C56-D51F488E950B.jpeg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What does the ‘GT’ stand for in the 86 or the Curve? In actuality or people’s impressions? With the Curve I just thought GT was the fat one.

Looks like they have a 73mm Rc One

View attachment 129737
View attachment 129738
GT = Grand Touring. Borrowed from cars. If you don't know where that comes from watch the show "The Grand Tour" (British car show); they have a good explanation of what "the grand tour" of Europe was.

James

Out There
Instructor
GT = Grand Touring. Borrowed from cars. If you don't know where that comes from watch the show "The Grand Tour" (British car show); they have a good explanation of what "the grand tour" of Europe was.
You’re leaving out Pontiac.
I’m familiar with that. In the mid 80’s I got a ride in a 1963? Ferrari 250 GTO. I used to know the exact year but my brain has been addled by the internet. Doors were paper thin and no full skin on the inside.

But in this sense, the GT is for a more piste oriented ski vs ”Pro Mt”. Makes sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @Noodler , do you prefer the Pro Mt 86 for an all around? I see you’re stockpiling that and not the RC One GT.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Own a pair of the RC One 86 GT with the stock system binding, love it. Just tried a new pair that came flat and mounted a relatively low stand height, Tyrolia Freeflex race binding. Much prefer the standard system set up. Much easier to tip up on edge and carve. The lower, flat setup, took more effort and deliberate skiing to attain the same performance as the stock system ski. I experienced a similar thing with the Nordica Spitfire 80 RB set up with a flat binding vs. the stock system. The "cool kids" and current "group think" may advocate that the lower stand height of an ala carte binding is preferable to higher stand height systems on these narrowish all-mountain carvers, but sure hasn't been my experience. Stick with the systems that the ski designers made for that ski, you'll be much happier.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine have system bindings and my BSL is 316 FWIW. They are 175s and I am 5'8', 145 lbs, and a strong skier.

I just had my first day on them. They were exactly what the reviews said and exactly what I was looking for: a frontside carving machine with off piste chops that is also fun and easy at slow speeds. I was giddy as I took them all over Squaw and Alpine through the bumps, dropping into bowls, and on the groomers. I will get another 3-4 days on them this season but so far so good. And the finish/attention to detail on them is top-notch.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Own a pair of the RC One 86 GT with the stock system binding, love it. Just tried a new pair that came flat and mounted a relatively low stand height, Tyrolia Freeflex race binding. Much prefer the standard system set up. Much easier to tip up on edge and carve. The lower, flat setup, took more effort and deliberate skiing to attain the same performance as the stock system ski. I experienced a similar thing with the Nordica Spitfire 80 RB set up with a flat binding vs. the stock system. The "cool kids" and current "group think" may advocate that the lower stand height of an ala carte binding is preferable to higher stand height systems on these narrowish all-mountain carvers, but sure hasn't been my experience. Stick with the systems that the ski designers made for that ski, you'll be much happier.
For some of us, particularly with short BSL, the delta on a system binding is so steep that it screws us up but in the opposite that way a flat binding screws you up. I took a pair of the 86s out that a friend owns, and felt like I was skiing on my toes. Couldn’t give them a proper assessment as a result.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hey @Noodler , do you prefer the Pro Mt 86 for an all around? I see you’re stockpiling that and not the RC One GT.

I took the chance on the Pro MT 86 based on my test drives of the 86 GT. I noted that the ski geometry was quite similar even if the construction was changed. I'm very glad I did take that chance as I find the Pro MT 86 to have the same kind of unshakable edge grip, but being in a lighter more "playful" package. If I had found a killer deal on the 86 GT like I did for the Pro MT 86 I would have jumped on it. However, once I started skiing the Pro MT 86, I became kind of addicted to how it skis as an all-mountain option in CO. It's kind of funny because I can recall old comments I posted about how the mid-80s ski really has no purpose; too wide for real groomer zoomin' and not wide enough to matter when it gets deeper. What I hadn't experienced up to that point was a ski like the 86 GT or Pro MT 86 that has a very successful marriage of the rocker profile and sidecut design. That's what's making this mid-80s ski really shine for me as an all-mountain ski.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tried again, with snow country. They lowered the price........and added shipping!

For the flat ski aficionados, I came across these today. Not cheap, but flat:

James

Out There
Instructor
Go look at snowcountry. Last I looked it was $525 delivered assuming euro is 1.2 dollars.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Close, but for me, it's definitely "bottom fishing season".

Gotta get to my door for $500.

Evo was close enough to that number, but they shrink wrapped the skis so tightly on top of each other that the base of one had four small, but significant dents in it (and the other had a pretty good scratch).

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a long thread so I'm really sorry if this was covered before. I see these for what I perceive to be a good price right now and I'm thinking of buying them to try a piste focused ski (which is not something I tend to love). With that objective in mind, are these a good choice? How do they compare for groomer zooming to something like an Augment 88 or Stockli Laser AR? The last comparable ski I had was a 2010 Kastle MX88 which I thought was awesome on groomers but somewhat limiting elsewhere, I sold it after the flex wore out and haven't really found a direct replacement yet.

I'm aware that's a bit of an apples and caviar question given I'm talking about a 3x price difference (roughly), but if I don't like the Fischer would it be safe to assume I would also not like the Augments?

I'm 6 ft, 220 and like to go fast (usually on much wider skis). I place a big priority on damp and burly as a general matter. I don't usually love <20 meter radiuses but for this I'm going to try it.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Somewhere here @Philpug said this was the ski that the Laser AR wanted to be this year. I haven't skied the Stöcklis or Augments, but the finish and performance of the Fischers is top notch.

So I guess that's my question - is it "good enough" that it's a fair trial of the more expensive options at a cheaper cost of entry?

If it's better than the Laser AR that is obviously a fair trial.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So I guess that's my question - is it "good enough" that it's a fair trial of the more expensive options at a cheaper cost of entry?

If it's better than the Laser AR that is obviously a fair trial.

For me this is an apples-to-oranges comparo. Based on your previous post, you sound more like an AR guy to me.

I'm willing to look past on-snow feel for pure ski performance. I believe that the 86 GT is the much more versatile ski for most skiers. For skiers with high-end skills (able to attain serious high edge angles, etc.) the AR may be more of their preference as an all-mountain tool. The Fischer is much more approachable for a wider segment of skiers. But the Fischer still has more than sufficient "balls" to rip groomers while still being able to handle off-piste and dance through some moguls.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well with a little patience I could have saved myself $50 at Snowcountry......... The thing with buying skis to get a good deal this time of year is that once you have identified what you want and the length you want when you find what you think is a good/fair deal you have to pull the trigger. By the way Snowcountry is fantastic.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid