• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me this is an apples-to-oranges comparo. Based on your previous post, you sound more like an AR guy to me.

I'm willing to look past on-snow feel for pure ski performance. I believe that the 86 GT is the much more versatile ski for most skiers. For skiers with high-end skills (able to attain serious high edge angles, etc.) the AR may be more of their preference as an all-mountain tool. The Fischer is much more approachable for a wider segment of skiers. But the Fischer still has more than sufficient "balls" to rip groomers while still being able to handle off-piste and dance through some moguls.

So the Fischer has a slightly lower top end than Stockli AR or Augment 88? You are correct I don’t place a high priority on accessibility as a general rule.

I think in this specific case it’s less because I have high end carving skills than because I’m just a big dude and when I’m in shape I can bend most skis without perfect technique.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
What does the ‘GT’ stand for in the 86 or the Curve?
I think it would be more accurate to use the Italian “Gran Turismo” because this ski is much more of an exotic sports car than a long distance family road trip cruiser!

JJ5250

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys... I'm 5'7" 150lbs... Advanced Aggressive skier... I got really lucky and was able to purchase the 86GT/161 at a incredible price... I just got them and no chance of using them until next season... I ski MountainCreek in NJ religiously every weekend during the season.... my question is the 86GT to aggressive of a ski to be skiing with my family .... I currently have PM80's also but they have no life in them what so ever.... my son is 5 years old and can parallel ski and hockey stop now... has been going down the Blues with me... I'm so proud of him :) ... Should I buy another pair that is more manageable when I'm with my family? I was looking at the 78GT/157 just for the ease of handling them.... What do you guys think? ... I'd really appreciate anybody's feed back... Thanks!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hey guys... I'm 5'7" 150lbs... Advanced Aggressive skier... I got really lucky and was able to purchase the 86GT/161 at a incredible price... I just got them and no chance of using them until next season... I ski MountainCreek in NJ religiously every weekend during the season.... my question is the 86GT to aggressive of a ski to be skiing with my family .... I currently have PM80's also but they have no life in them what so ever.... my son is 5 years old and can parallel ski and hockey stop now... has been going down the Blues with me... I'm so proud of him :) ... Should I buy another pair that is more manageable when I'm with my family? I was looking at the 78GT/157 just for the ease of handling them.... What do you guys think? ... I'd really appreciate anybody's feed back... Thanks!

I don't see any reason why you couldn't ski the 86 GT with the family.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I agree with @Noodler. I bought the GT to ski with my family. I have one day on them by myself and found them easy and fun at slow speeds, good in the bumps and trees, and exciting at high speeds on groomed runs. I’m hitting Mammoth next week with the kids and expect they will be great. I will report back.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you so much... I'm already dying waiting for the next season to begin... lol....

Road Trip --- but do it very soon, its melting fast here in New England. Upper Vermont is in the best shape, they just got 6" of new snow.

JJ5250

Booting up
Skier
Road Trip --- but do it very soon, its melting fast here in New England. Upper Vermont is in the best shape, they just got 6" of new snow.
I am planning a trip to Stowe, VT January 2022.... only thing is I read you have to 14 day quarantine unless you've been vaccinated... still waiting to see if anybody grows a tail before I get mine... lol... I'd feel so much better if it was FDA approved... so hopefully by then it all will be good...

P.s. Never skied up there... first time with family... what would be better ... Stowe or Killington... would like the most of everything being with the family... replys most appreciated... thanks.. and thanks for all the comments about the 86GT... I'm really really excited about them... thanks again...

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington is more sprawling with multiple peaks, Stowe is more condensed and more skiable vertical. I think of Stowe as a mix of locals and rich people. Killington attracts a lot of NYers and singles. There is more $$ at Stowe and more quaint NE charm. Both are very good ski destinations. I day trip to Kton and always book lodging if skiing Stowe, longer drive for me. My 2 cents

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey guys... I'm 5'7" 150lbs... Advanced Aggressive skier... I got really lucky and was able to purchase the 86GT/161 at a incredible price
Should I buy another pair that is more manageable when I'm with my family? I was looking at the 78GT/157 just for the ease of handling them.
The 161 is already arguably short for you. No need to go even smaller, especially on a more easygoing ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 161 is already arguably short for you. No need to go even smaller, especially on a more easygoing ski.
This!
I'm 5'5" 140 lbs and skied the RC One 82 GT in 166 and wouldn't consider going shorter.
I'm not surprised that @JJ5250 found a 161 for a smoking deal. That's kind of short for most people who would be looking for that ski.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'5" 140 lbs and skied the RC One 82 GT in 166 and wouldn't consider going shorter.
@Tricia did you see in the Happy Tunes thread that I got on that exact ski last weekend? Nice ride. (Come to think of it that thread probably needs a tag for these skis.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

JJ5250

Booting up
Skier
This!
I'm not surprised that @JJ5250 found a 161 for a smoking deal. That's kind of short for most people who would be looking for that ski.

Yea got a great deal on Ebay... seller said only used once or twice... when I got them there wasn't a mark anywhere on them... not even were your boots clip in... edges nice and sharp ... not a scratch anywhere...perfect condition.... not gonna ask questions...lol... Anyways... MT Creek isn't a very big mountain where we go every weekend being it's only an hour from the city can't complain... love to hit some verticales @ Stowe like I saw in the videos online... Figured 161 would be good considering I only paid 4bills and be able to get more turns down the hill... Just bought the wife some 2021 Blizzard Alight 8.2 CA/144 for same price I paid for mine which is agreat price for the blizzards brand new... she's on the short side of 5'/ 98lbs ...lucky I bought them... they already sold out of her size... they had 3 sets left... so next is gotta get some new boots... unfortunately I have a wide foot (105mm+).. Dalbello DS MX 120 are the only thing that might work out of the box and then go get them molded... Then just gotta wait till November to see how much my son grows and then get him some kids Fischer RC4 Race... lol... can't wait for next season..... Thanks again for all the comments... can't believe it took me this long to find this forum... never showed up on my google searches... was using duckduckgo hoping something new would pop up and here we are... Thanks again.. :)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
so next is gotta get some new boots... unfortunately I have a wide foot (105mm+).. Dalbello DS MX 120 are the only thing that might work out of the box and then go get them molded...
If you're going to spend money to make your skiing experience great, go to a good bootfitter to get your boots. That is where you splurge, especially if you know you have possible fit issues like a super wide foot.
There are some good options in the "thats a lotta foot" category.

JJ5250

Booting up
Skier
If you're going to spend money to make your skiing experience great, go to a good bootfitter to get your boots. That is where you splurge, especially if you know you have possible fit issues like a super wide foot.
There are some good options in the "thats a lotta foot" category.
The Dalbello DS MX 120 has the widest last of 105.8mm for a 27.5 size boot from all the research I have done... IMO it's a great boot for me... now for the awesome news... I found a pair believe it or not on Amazon UK... $197 with free shipping to the US! .... had to wait until it came back in stock and just got a notice that it shipped! .... so I'll wear it around for a couple of days and see how it goes and then I'll go and get it molded just to make sure it's a good fit... REI is the only place so far I found in the city that does it... not to sure if to get it done there... gonna look for some more options.... looked at my skis again and they look soooo nice.... can't wait!

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Deal on these, flat.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been thinking about getting the 175 length of this ski, in addition to the 182 I already own. I think I'd like both differently.
So little time, so many good choices.

Sponsor

Staff online