• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okay, so I'm pretty much set on buying these in 175 length, but I have a question about bindings. Hopefully @Noodler, @Philpug, or someone else in this thread could answer it.

I could get these skis with the system RSW 12 GW binding; with one of the three bindings offered by L9 Sports (Defiance 11 GW, Defiance 12 GW, Marker M10.0); or flat. If going flat, I am thinking about getting the Fischer Z13 or Tyrolia/Fischer/Head Freeflex 14 bindings (I can find then for under $200), as I'm used to the race bindings on my other skis (Look PX 18, to be precise). I wonder what bindings I should get and am looking for advice.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, so I'm pretty much set on buying these in 175 length, but I have a question about bindings. Hopefully @Noodler, @Philpug, or someone else in this thread could answer it.

I could get these skis with the system RSW 12 GW binding; with one of the three bindings offered by L9 Sports (Defiance 11 GW, Defiance 12 GW, Marker M10.0); or flat. If going flat, I am thinking about getting the Fischer Z13 or Tyrolia/Fischer/Head Freeflex 14 bindings (I can find then for under $200), as I'm used to the race bindings on my other skis (Look PX 18, to be precise). I wonder what bindings I should get and am looking for advice.
The FF 14 or even better the 17 would be a killer way to go, an extremely solid interface.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tha
The FF 14 or even better the 17 would be a killer way to go, an extremely solid interface.
Thanks for the very quick response, and just one (silly) follow up question. Will FF 14/17, which are listed as 85mm, fit the 86mm skis fine? As I wrote elsewhere, my current skis are 64, 66 and 67mm, and I've never been on anything wider than 70, so I don't quite know what to expect in terms of fit. (Yes, I know that other bindings I've listed above also have 85mm stated width.)

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do they use the 85mm brake for race skis? I see some of the race free flex listed with the 85mm brake.
Atomic lists their race bindings as 70mm (click on "brake size"); Look as <80mm; Fischer and Marker as 85mm. How much difference there is in the actual brake width, I don't really know. It would be interesting to compare these bindings side by side; I should be able to do this when I get the R16 that I've ordered, but currently I only have the Look ones.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the PSA on this one. Picked up another pair, because ya know, just in case... :)
You are welcome! I actually discovered them almost by accident: I was going to order FF 14 or 17 elsewhere, but at the very last moment decided to check what bindings L9 has in stock. These were listed on page 3/3 of the bindings list, so fairly well hidden :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah thanks @Ivan a d @Philpug , I ordered a set.
85mm is as narrow as they go these days. They figured out how to make an 85mm fully retract even on the narrowest of race skis. They work great.
Are you using these low stand height R16 bindings on non plated carving skis?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I don't have any but I surely would. If I needed bindings I would stock pile them.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I am using them both on plates (Fischer Curv series) and without (Fischer Pro MT series) skis. These are basically the EVO series bindings (height adjustable toe lugs and the Race Pro heel) for a ridiculously low price. My 6th pair of these are now on their way from L9. My buddy also bought 4 pairs.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I checked the spec's on these bindings, the price is sure right. The binding delta is extreme, unless I am missing something. An old online Fischer catalog lists the toe height at 12.5mm and the heel at 17mm, so almost 5mm delta. I like zero or at most 3, so these would need a toe shim for me to use. Am I missing something here?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I checked the spec's on these bindings, the price is sure right. The binding delta is extreme, unless I am missing something. An old online Fischer catalog lists the toe height at 12.5mm and the heel at 17mm, so almost 5mm delta. I like zero or at most 3, so these would need a toe shim for me to use. Am I missing something here?

Delta is 4.5mm. So if you need less delta then it's really not much of an issue to install a shim under the toe of the binding.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Delta is 4.5mm. So if you need less delta then it's really not much of an issue to install a shim under the toe of the binding.
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but still... Where do you typically get toe shims? Or do you make them on your own?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but still... Where do you typically get toe shims? Or do you make them on your own?

Tyrolia makes them (available on ebay) and I've also made them myself. The Tyrolia shims are stackable and come in kits based on how much additional height you need. Of course the kits include both the toe and heel, but they're not expensive.

Sponsor