• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The boots are awesome boots....Granted, I now have a foam Boot Doctor liner that makes them stiffer.
-
difficulty of getting out of them when I still had the stock liner....on a very cold day at Stowe.
-
Why don’t you just get new liners for your X-Max?
[/ATTACH]
I am,"Quick Instep" is a selling feature of Mach 1 130.

I thought about new liners for the X-Max. Looked at Intuition website and don't know which liner would be appropriate. The local'ish ski shops don't stock many, certainly not a full size run of each for me to try. Then there is the allure of an even lighter weight "Freeride" boot which I can say from being in a light'ish weight X-Max is rather appealing for all the reasons @Ron discussed and then some. Plus there is my analogy to running shoes where every one fits and performs a little different, idea of trying a different flavor. The Mach 1 130 absoultly fits different then the X-Max, would it be better or worse, IDK? If I see no advantage in a new boot and or it would require more then a little boot fitter attention, I'll probably just get a new liner for the X-Max. I was curious about the Mach 1 130 when I first read about them here. Never found them in my size at a ski shop. That I was able to pick them up on sale for ~$400 from a store with a great return policy was all the incentive I needed to give them a try. Will say coming from the light'ish weight ~4lb X-Max makes it difficult to go to a ~5lb boot and I'll probably end up returning the Mach 1 130, however, I'm still interested in trying the S-Max 130 Carbon and K2 Recon 130.

Reactions: Ron

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm probably going to need to replace my Raptors in the fall, unless I get new liners AND fix a shell split at the instep. The special thing about the Heads for me is the very low volume in the area of the lower cuff buckle. That's where my feet are super skinny. @Ron , @Philpug , can you compare with the K2? I have to admit, it sounds pretty nice in Ron's piece.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm probably going to need to replace my Raptors in the fall, unless I get new liners AND fix a shell split at the instep. The special thing about the Heads for me is the very low volume in the area of the lower cuff buckle. That's where my feet are super skinny. @Ron , @Philpug , can you compare with the K2? I have to admit, it sounds pretty nice in Ron's piece.
this is a pretty good low to med volume boot but honestly, it is not a replacement for your Raptor if you are looking for that low volume where Head has it. This is a more upright stance than you are accustomed to in the Head, IMHO, if you struck oil with the Raptor, jsut go get another pair.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hadn’t seen this review earlier, so was glad to read it today. Although my Tecnica Mach1 lv’s are performing admirably, I’d like my next boot to be lightweight,
Which year model Mach 1 do you have?
The new Mach 1 W2W boot is lighter weight.
I have the 105 W but there is also a Mach 1 LV Pro as well.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmm, new Mach 1 Pro W LV Polyolefine Cuff / Pebax Shell (clog). In the '00's and early '10's Pebax was "the plastic" for AT boots and certainly could make for a lighter weight boot.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have the 2016 Mach1 105 lv W. Purple-ish boot with pink buckles.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the 2016 Mach1 105 lv W. Purple-ish boot with pink buckles.
The white ones are much lighter and have a little different stance. More upright and a little higher cuff height to give the support needed with the stance. Also a little better liner. :D
I wrote about them somewhere here. I'll look for it.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The white ones are much lighter and have a little different stance. More upright and a little higher cuff height to give the support needed with the stance. Also a little better liner. :D
I wrote about them somewhere here. I'll look for it.

Cool, thanks!,

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool, thanks!,

@Tricia Any.changes in the Tecnica for next year? I want to hold onto mine for another season but need to have upcoming replacements in mind. I am afraid I’m getting bone spurs on the inside of my feet below the toe joint. Hopefully a punch will help alleviate that for now.

What do you mean by a “little different stance?” My tibia are bowed outward, but I’m not bowlegged It’s actually a defect that occurs in the womb that affects alignment and requires ample cuff adjustment. That’s where Tecnica helped me, and Lange didn’t (RS120 S.C.).

Maybe I should start a thread on bowed tibia and bootfitting.... :)

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tricia Any.changes in the Tecnica for next year? I want to hold onto mine for another season but need to have upcoming replacements in mind. I am afraid I’m getting bone spurs on the inside of my feet below the toe joint. Hopefully a punch will help alleviate that for now.
2018/19 https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/tecnica_1819

2017/18 https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/tecnica_1718

I see many carryovers. Mach 1 adds a HV (high volume) option to the existing LV (low volume) and MV (medium volume). Zero-G has been redesigned.

Btw, I returned the Mach 1 130 MV, the short answer is the fit and feel wasn't so great to outweigh the boots weight. Diagonal line from base of heel to instep was too great for my anatomy, especially apparent in comparison to the Salomon X-Max and Scarpa Maestrale 2.0 boots. And again the ~ 5lb per boot weight.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just when I thought K2 Recon was about as lightweight as we were going to get in an Alpine boot this year, Blister gave us a teaser of the 18/19 Head Nexo LVT 130 @ 1509g 3.3lbs (26.5) along with the 18/19 Nordica Pro-Machine 130 @ 1890g 4.1lbs (26.5) for the hard charging @Brian Finch type Pugskiers:D

Sheesh, I don't regret returning those Tecnica Mach 1 19th century diving bell suit shoes I had got a great deal on, and it's not as though the fit was the end all be all either, so...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Still the king....

image-jpeg.7189

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Just when I thought K2 Recon was about as lightweight as we were going to get in an Alpine boot this year, Blister gave us a teaser of the 18/19 Head Nexo LVT 130 @ 1509g 3.3lbs (26.5) along with the 18/19 Nordica Pro-Machine 130 @ 1890g 4.1lbs (26.5) for the hard charging @Brian Finch type Pugskiers:D

I’ve had the Head Boot in my hands & I sorta feel like I’m losing touch, because it felt like it would crumble under any pressure/driven skiing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I just want to go on the record as saying @Philpug and I both lauded the Recon way before Ski Mag awarded it best boot for 2019. :thumb:
Time stamps are a wonderful thing ;)

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Once I tried a cabrio boot, I can never go back to a traditional two-piece design. And this looks like a traditional two-piece design. Looks like these boots are made for traditional alpine bindings (and possible Grip Walk) and are intended for in-resort skiing. Hence no walk mode. I haven't heard anything about Grip Walk, but I believe Grip Walk soles are intended to make it easier and more comfortable to walk from the parking lot to the chair.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Not trying to break the rule on getting fit over the internet, but I am looking for a little guidance regarding the Recon 120 MV. I measure a solid 26 with a D width forefoot, average to large instep, and narrow heel.

Forever I have skied in a size 26 boot, but 5 years ago moved to a 25 in the Salomon X-Max 120. Without heat molding, the boot was unbearably tight, but after molding the shell it was great. The boots definitely improved my skiing.

It is time to replace them and I purchased a pair of 25.5 Recon 120s. I tried on lots of boots and It is hard to remember, but I feel that they feel similar to how my Salomons felt before custom molding the shell. But the more that I think about it, the less confident I feel about my memory of remolding them. Definitely some analysis paralysis setting in.

I remember from a lot of the reviews of the X-Max that most people were sizing down. It does have a large BSL at 298 compared to the Recon at 294. Love the heel hold on the Recon.

Regarding shell fit, on the 25.5 I have about one skinny finger behind the heel and the sides of my feet just barely brush the sides of the shell.

I did try on the Recon in a 26.5 and it felt great out of the box, which makes me think that it will be too big after a few days of skiing.

So, after all that I guess my question comes down to this. Will I be able to get the room needed in the shell after heat molding like I did in the X-Max?

Thanks

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I bought Head Avant Edge 125 last year. It is a wide (102mm in size 26) and has a heat moldable shell and liner. The process tends to increase volume. Other boot brands may differ, though.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not trying to break the rule on getting fit over the internet, but I am looking for a little guidance regarding the Recon 120 MV. I measure a solid 26 with a D width forefoot, average to large instep, and narrow heel.

Forever I have skied in a size 26 boot, but 5 years ago moved to a 25 in the Salomon X-Max 120. Without heat molding, the boot was unbearably tight, but after molding the shell it was great. The boots definitely improved my skiing.

It is time to replace them and I purchased a pair of 25.5 Recon 120s. I tried on lots of boots and It is hard to remember, but I feel that they feel similar to how my Salomons felt before custom molding the shell. But the more that I think about it, the less confident I feel about my memory of remolding them. Definitely some analysis paralysis setting in.

I remember from a lot of the reviews of the X-Max that most people were sizing down. It does have a large BSL at 298 compared to the Recon at 294. Love the heel hold on the Recon.

Regarding shell fit, on the 25.5 I have about one skinny finger behind the heel and the sides of my feet just barely brush the sides of the shell.

I did try on the Recon in a 26.5 and it felt great out of the box, which makes me think that it will be too big after a few days of skiing.

So, after all that I guess my question comes down to this. Will I be able to get the room needed in the shell after heat molding like I did in the X-Max?

Thanks
Like you, I skied in a 26 for years then "right sized" to a 25. If you were in a 25 in the Solly, I would be very surprised if you have to go back to a 26 in this boot...but you could. If you read my preview of the Recon 120 MV HERE, you will see that this was one of the few 26's I could actually ski but I had to build up the footbed to take up some volume. I do have the 130LV in a 25.5 (review upcoming) and am very happy with the fit especially after the molding process. I do find that the boot has one of the more generous toe boxes of the boots that I have been in recently.

Sponsor

Staff online