• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I'll reach out again.
I do know that they expressed some issues (like everyone else) with supply chain. Sold out of nearly everything.
Not sure if this includes the switches.

@KULKEA
Hi Tricia. You are correct that we've sold-out of nearly everything this season. However, we have switches in stock. I sent one out to PA last week, which will hopefully arrive tomorrow. Thank you. David

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
From my testing, it seems that the DC plug will help maintain the temp of the bag but struggles to get the boots warm enough on shorter trips (less than 60 min). So Pro Tip #2, as @Pat AKA mentioned, get the boots as hot as possible before moving to the car/truck and plugging into DC power. The DC power will maintain that temp.

Worked for me the past two trips...
You are correct. Warm up at the boots at home, then use the DC to keep them warm for the ride to the hill.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
So I got my bag at Xmas time this past season. Used it about 10 times so far. Offering an alternate opinion since everyone is posting glowing life changing reviews.

The bag itself is pretty high quality. My son has a non-heated version from when he was a ski racer.

I'm not sure heating my boots in the bag is miraculous as everyone said. I think it's good, but I'm ok without it also. Maybe I just have hot feet. I don't find the bag heater really dries boots. I have to take them out and use my boot dryer.

Even though the bag stores a lot, I don't really like the small openings for the goggles and main pocket. Its great when you are finding stuff at the top, but hard to find things a little lower. Also if there is anything damp, it doesn't dry out. Not really enough room for a jacket either.

I guess I was just used to my large duffel bag and boots over my shoulder. I'm still using it, but probably wouldn't buy another.
I get it. Not everyone needs or wants their boots warmed up. And, not everyone prefers a backpack solution vs. duffle. I personally love my boots heated. This softens up the plastic which makes putting my boots on in the morning much, much easier. I also prefer a backpack solution so my hands are free to carry my skis and poles. Totally my preferences. One thing to clarify is that we do not market the heated boot bag as a dryer. Some brands do, but we don't because drying requires ventilation.The heating is for warming boot plastics. David

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
You sound like @AKMINK and @Tricia. "Pockets in women's jackets SUCK!"

As a followup, I don't use the bag to dry anything. Boots come out and go on the drying stacks. Gloves come out and go near the heat register, and the helmet and goggles come out to breath. Anything else that's damp, either from perspiration or snow/rain/fog comes out too. I don't use the goggle pocket for goggles; they go in my helmet with a Gogglesoc and the helmet slide into the main compartment. I think I've used the helmet sling once and that's when I had ski pants, coat, puffy, sweater, and mid layer in the main compartment. Gloves and extra socks can go in the with the boots. I like the heat part more for getting the boots on. The liner itself doesn't have to be very warm at all or my feet perspire right out of the gate.
You've got it down perfectly! It's about warming the boot plastics so it's easier to put your boots on. It's not a dryer. Drying requires ventilation. Your system is spot on! David

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I have had the kulkea heated bag for 13 months. The heating element on one side decided to stop workingthis weekend. I reached out to Kulkea and filled out the warranty and within 24 hours they responded. They are sending a whole new heating element. Very impressed with the level of customer service
Thank you! David

Bacchus

Booting up
Skier
You've got it down perfectly! It's about warming the boot plastics so it's easier to put your boots on. It's not a dryer. Drying requires ventilation. Your system is spot on! David
I just purchased a Kulkea Thermal Trekker bag several days ago from A Racer's Edge Breck. I love it and makes a huge difference in getting into my stiff Salomon S/Max 130 boots.

Wouldn't the bag be able to be used as a dryer if the top zips of the boot compartments are left open a bit to create ventilation?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just purchased a Kulkea Thermal Trekker bag several days ago from A Racer's Edge Breck. I love it and makes a huge difference in getting into my stiff Salomon S/Max 130 boots.

Wouldn't the bag be able to be used as a dryer if the top zips of the boot compartments are left open a bit to create ventilation?
I've done that. I don't know how effective it is in comparison with a Peet-type drier, but it seemed to work ok. I would think that would impact the life of the heat packs as far as warming the boots to ski in.

Bacchus

Booting up
Skier
I've done that. I don't know how effective it is in comparison with a Peet-type drier, but it seemed to work ok. I would think that would impact the life of the heat packs as far as warming the boots to ski in.
Do you know what the effective life is for the heat packs? I am assuming there is a warranty.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you know what the effective life is for the heat packs? I am assuming there is a warranty.
No idea. I *think* it's a two year warranty. @KULKEA can confirm. Maybe one year?:huh:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Love my heated Kulkea bag, but was in a rush one day trip and didn't heat my boots: managed to put them on with out too much struggle but WOW! First run with stiff, cold boots on newly tuned SLs and WHAMO over edged continuously (note: very firm, hard snow) to the point of near despair. In desperation I detuned the tips and tails and moved my binding forward, which helped some , but what really seemed to be the critical factor was boot stiffness - as the day wore on and the boots softened up, everything fell back into place. So for me it's always heat or never, but don't mix 'em!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
How long should it take to warm up boots on High? I usually use Low setting overnight and it's warm in the morning. I wanted to adjust something on my boot so I set it on High for about 2 1/2 hours and only the very tip of the toe area was warm to the touch. Everything else was still room temp.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How long should it take to warm up boots on High? I usually use Low setting overnight and it's warm in the morning. I wanted to adjust something on my boot so I set it on High for about 2 1/2 hours and only the very tip of the toe area was warm to the touch. Everything else was still room temp.
The amount of heat is not different, but it is supposed to get warm faster at high.
My bag actually seems to get warmer faster when plugged into the car.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
The heating system is designed to warm the plastic shells on ski boots. It's not designed to perform as a dryer. If you leave a zipper to the boot pocket open it will allow heat to escape. The result is that the heating system will continuously run longer than it should to perform its function of warming the boot shells, rather than turning on and off as designed based upon temperature readings. This may result in a reduction of the useful life of the heating system.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
You are correct. Warm up at the boots at home, then use the DC to keep them warm for the ride to the hill.
Now that I got this figured out this bag has performed fantastically! I have about 30 ski days of flawless use so far.
My process….I put my shells in the side pockets, liners in the main compartment, gloves in the front pocket. I put the bag on a timer on medium, it turns on 2 hours before I leave, put it in my truck on DC for the ~50 minute drive and boots are perfect. Put my liners on my feet, slip them easily into the shells, buckle up and away I go. What a great bag…no regrets

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
On high the boots should warm within a few hours. It shouldn't be just the tip of the toe area. You should turn on the heating system and see if the pads are warm to the touch after about 10-15 minutes, and not just the toe area.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question about heating element placement or design.

Does the heating element in Kulkea bags go under the boot or does it wrap around only?

The reason I ask...We have had HotGear and Transpack bags, both of which wrap under the boot and up the two sides. Both sets of bags had/have issues with heating elements going bad. Transpack more than HG. I was told that if there is grit and moisture in the bag rubbed in by the boots, it can create a pinhole and then a subsequent short in the element. (Despite the element being encased in a sleeve) These are ski boots. Snow, ice, mud. Even when I was careful to wipe down my boots every time, the last element lasted less than one season. It seems to me that wrapping around the front of the boot and sides would protect the element from being damaged. Or even above and down the sides would be better.

I am sad to see so many questions about non functioning heating elements here. Otherwise I might have considered buying a couple. Hopefully Kulkea will work on a design for these elements that will last. IMO given the cost, elements should last a minimum if 3 seasons. And replacements should be readily available for purchase without a hassle. HG often didn't have any available and TP insists you return the old one before you can order a new one which means you are without for weeks.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Question about heating element placement or design.

Does the heating element in Kulkea bags go under the boot or does it wrap around only?

The reason I ask...We have had HotGear and Transpack bags, both of which wrap under the boot and up the two sides. Both sets of bags had/have issues with heating elements going bad. Transpack more than HG. I was told that if there is grit and moisture in the bag rubbed in by the boots, it can create a pinhole and then a subsequent short in the element. (Despite the element being encased in a sleeve) These are ski boots. Snow, ice, mud. Even when I was careful to wipe down my boots every time, the last element lasted less than one season. It seems to me that wrapping around the front of the boot and sides would protect the element from being damaged. Or even above and down the sides would be better.

I am sad to see so many questions about non functioning heating elements here. Otherwise I might have considered buying a couple. Hopefully Kulkea will work on a design for these elements that will last. IMO given the cost, elements should last a minimum if 3 seasons. And replacements should be readily available for purchase without a hassle. HG often didn't have any available and TP insists you return the old one before you can order a new one which means you are without for weeks.
Hi Jerez. Unlike other heated boot bags which rely on one heating system and heating one side and bottom of each boot, KULKEA's patented heated boot bag has two separate heating systems, which allows for the heating system to wrap around both sides and beneath each boot.

We've put thousands of heated boot bags into the market. We have many happy customers. Most of those customers have no need to share their news for obvious reasons.

Years ago, we did have an issue with one batch of heated boot bags relating to the AC controller switch breaking. Some of the issues you've read about likely stem from that situation. Please note, however, that we remedied this issue for every customer at no cost, and continue to do so for the stragglers that flow in from time-to-time still far beyond the 2 year warranty.

We recommend anyone who purchases a KULKEA product to register it with us at the time of purchase. This will allow us to help us address any issues which may arise as soon and as easily as possible for the purchaser.

We have in-stock extra heated pads for purchase beyond warranty coverage. We do not require the return of heated pads in order to purchase a new pad. Replacement pads may be purchased easily at kulkea.com.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online