• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Think of the size of his boots (28.5 323mm), I think sub 315mm boots should be fine. I will let you know how my 25.5's do when my test bag comes.

That would be perfect. A Racer's Edge carries a couple of heated bags, and there was another one (don't recall which) that was also compelling.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be perfect. A Racer's Edge carries a couple of heated bags, and there was another one (don't recall which) that was also compelling.

A Racer’s Edge carries Kulkea and Snow Eagle (formerly Hot Gear) heated bags.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
This bag is too big for a carry-on unless the airline looks the other way and you don’t stuff it to the max. The Thermal Trekker measures 18”H x 14.5”L x 20”W.
Hey Kevin, we've had no problem flying and stowing overhead, provided a helmet is not attached to the external sling. Were you denied by an airline with a Thermal Trekker. Also, Grape Crush rates 2nd personal favorite soft beverage.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Is there enough room in the main compartment for a helmet? I'd rather not have it on the outside.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Is there enough room in the main compartment for a helmet? I'd rather not have it on the outside.
Hey Jersey,
in most cases, yes. I personally have an Large/XL dome and can fit my Bern and Smith helmets in the front pocket with goggles or in the the top, main compartment. However, I recently purchased a Ruroc helmet that has more of a motorcycle coverage, so I'll pack that with other luggage(If deemed worthwhile). So again yes, the majority of helmets will fit, provided you aren't Shaq or have a motorcycle helmet.

Hope thats helpful!! Happy New Years Pugskiers!

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Kevin, we've had no problem flying and stowing overhead, provided a helmet is not attached to the external sling. Were you denied by an airline with a Thermal Trekker. Also, Grape Crush rates 2nd personal favorite soft beverage.

I haven’t tried. Yet. I went by the airline measurements for a carry on. I’m sure many airlines will let the bag on because it doesn’t look huge. I’ve carried on bigger bags but don’t want people to bank on it passing.

What could possibly be better than grape Crush?

Hey Jersey,
in most cases, yes. I personally have an Large/XL dome and can fit my Bern and Smith helmets in the front pocket with goggles or in the the top, main compartment. However, I recently purchased a Ruroc helmet that has more of a motorcycle coverage, so I'll pack that with other luggage(If deemed worthwhile). So again yes, the majority of helmets will fit, provided you aren't Shaq or have a motorcycle helmet.

My size large Pret helmet fits easily inside the main compartment.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I do not know, because I have never had it. When I was growing up, there was only orange. And I am probably too set in my ways to try anything new.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I haven’t tried. Yet. I went by the airline measurements for a carry on. I’m sure many airlines will let the bag on because it doesn’t look huge. I’ve carried on bigger bags but don’t want people to bank on it passing.

#priorities

My size large Pret helmet fits easily inside the main compartment.
IMG_2341a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First, a bit of my boot bag history. About six years ago, Tricia bought me a heated boot bag, a Hot Gear bag. Being a good husband, I begrudgingly accepted it. Begrudgingly? Yeah, I thought a heated boot bag was one of the most ostentatious items a skier could own ... until I started using it. As Ferris Bueller says, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” Fast forward to today, I am testing the all-new Kulkea heated bag, the Thermal Trekker.

Kulkea picks up where Hot Gear left off in function and design. I will try to not repeat but rather to reinforce what @Drahtguy Kevin said in his review. One of the pluses here at Pugski is that you get different perspectives from each tester based on their needs and the ways they use a product. I am more of a minimalist when I hit the slopes, and take only what I need for the day:
  • Boots
  • Shell pants
  • Shell jacket
  • Midlayer
  • Gloves (regular and spring)
  • Battery packs for boot heaters
  • Helmet
  • Goggles (two pairs)
  • Sticker pack (for giveaways)
  • Season passes
  • #3 screwdriver
  • Kitchen sink (kidding/not kidding)
All that filled up my Hot Gear bag, but I had a significant amount of room left in the Thermal Trekker -- to the point that I didn’t need Kulkea’s ingenious external helmet hammock because my helmet fit in the center compartment (and I still had extra space). In looking back at my old bag, I was mildly frustrated that the bottom of the inside of the bag was filthy from storing my boots. This is an area where the design of the Thermal Trekker is significantly better; the boots are in their own individual (heated) compartments so my other articles are protected from dirt and grime.

In the past I have used two bags: the Hot Gear for day-to-day use, and a Transpack Sidekick Pro for long-distance travel. Simply put, the Hot Gear was a (heated) boot bag that I could wear on my back, and the Transpack was a backpack that carried my boots. The Kulkea Trekker is the best of both: a voluminous boot bag that is actually comfortable to wear as a backpack due to its well-designed shoulder straps with integrated and adjustable chest clasp and a very nice belt. The nylon straps are a bit slippery, but I imagine over time they will work in. The pads on the back are nicely padded for comfort and ventilation.

Storage in the compartments is well laid out and uses lighter-color materials, which makes it easy to find darker items (like gloves). The center compartment held my shell pants, jacket, and helmet (with goggles and case inside) with room to spare. I like that my helmet is protected from damage from boot buckles and sharp items that could dent it and compromise safety. The front pocket also has a fleece-lined pouch for storing goggles; in fact, it is close enough to the heating elements that it will dry wet goggles overnight. The pocket for the 110V cord also holds the 12V cord, which is nice because there is enough room to actually store the cord when you are traveling to and fro. I didn’t use the 12V because I wanted to see how the warm the boots would be after the 35-minute drive to the resort; everything stayed toasty.

As Kevin said in his review, the heating pads heat the boot areas like tacos, and since the center compartment is between the two elements, the center compartment also heats and dries gear. I left the bag on the lowest setting overnight, and everything was warm and dry for the next day of skiing. If you haven’t started the day in a warm boot, you do not know what you are missing. Kevin’s issue with the toes not being warmed has more to do with his 28.5 shell; my 25.5 shells were warm all around, even on the lowest setting.

There are only a few things missing. It would be nice to have a clear sleeve for identification such as a business card; yes, there is a panel for writing your name on the bag, but I would prefer the sleeve. Speaking of card slots, a pie-in-the-sky request is a pocket for storing season passes. Another little nicety would be a clip somewhere to attach a key ring for car keys or a whistle, things that you don't want to end up at the bottom of the bag. These might be nitpicky requests; all in all, this is a damn nice bag that is really well designed. I look forward to adding to this thread as I use the bag more and more.
  • Who is it for? Those of you looking for a heated bag have struck oil.
  • Who is it not for? Masochists who like to start the day in a cold boot.
  • Insider tip: Yes, there is a lot of room, but you don't have to fill it. You could reach 50 lb before you know it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Another little nicety would be a clip somewhere to attach a key ring for car keys or a whistle, things that you don't want to end up at the bottom of the bag. These might be nitpicky requests;

This is not nit picky. This is a great point.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
- so do the toes warm up at all? I don't need a boot softener. I do want something to keep my toes warm.

Same. My wife sews a couple of sausage-shaped "pods" that fit in our boots. She fills them rice. Two minutes in the microwave, and the boots are just right when we get to the mountain (~45 minutes).

But we don't fly anywhere to ski, so TIFWIW.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Same. My wife sews a couple of sausage-shaped "pods" that fit in our boots. She fills them rice. Two minutes in the microwave, and the boots are just right when we get to the mountain (~45 minutes).

But we don't fly anywhere to ski, so TIFWIW.

I just use the chem handwarmers for this, then move them into my mittens when I put on my boots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had this bag to and from Deer Valley for the past two days and I have had numerous questions and comments about the bag including a good coversation with Jonny Moseley who has tested the bag for a retailer and was also very impressed with the bag and asked for who he can contact at @KULKEA. So if you see Jonny Moseley in a Kulkea bag ad, you can thank us.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just as an aside, my wife got me a heated boot bag for Christmas (Athlon) and I'm now spoiled. Toasty boots in the locker room are a pleasure!

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I have had this bag to and from Deer Valley for the past two days and I have had numerous questions and comments about the bag including a good coversation with Jonny Moseley who has tested the bag for a retailer and was also very impressed with the bag and asked for who he can contact at @KULKEA. So if you see Jonny Moseley in a Kulkea bag ad, you can thank us.
Jonny Mose! Hopefully he doesn't try to spray paint it, pass it off as something else! :roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jonny Mose! Hopefully he doesn't try to spray paint it, pass it off as something else! :roflmao:
Jonny Moseley and John Egan, West/East, Two Ski Hall of Famers

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure if anyone has answered this question for you yet, but yes.
In the middle compartment I have -
  • Helmet
  • Goggles
  • Neck Gaiter
  • Outer shell jacket
  • Puffy Skirt for après(I'm betting Kevin and Phil don't pack one of these)
  • Mittens
In the outside compartment I have -
  • Extra pair of goggles
  • Anti fog cloth
  • Extra gloves
  • Hand warmers
  • Extra pair of socks
  • Extra neck gaiter
  • Beanie
  • Pugski hat
  • Bourbon flask
  • Roll of duct tape
In the top zipper pouch I have -
  • Boot heater batteries
  • Car Keys
  • Stash of season passes
  • Hair brush (I'm betting Phil and Kevin don't have one of these in their bag)

As a point of interest, as Phil said in a post above, we have had a tremendous amount of attention for this bag. At least a couple times a day, someone stops one or both of us to ask about it.

The only issues I have with it are -
  • Its so easy to pack I can over pack it and make it too heavy to carry :doh: I'll learn.
  • The other thing is the chest strap. I know I need to fiddle with it to adjust where it lands, but at the moment, I use the waist strap because the chest strap smashes the girls. :eek: (I'm betting Kevin and Phil don't have this issue)

Standouts with this bag are -
  • The boots are warm and dry in no time at all. My previous bag had to be on high to get my boots completely dry over night. This one is fine on medium.
  • The interior compartment is warm enough to keep mittens warm and dry, without overheating the helmet/goggle
  • Multiple ways to carry the bag with hand strap on top, back pack straps, chest strap(as discussed above) and wide waist strap.

During the Freestyle WC at Deer Valley, Phil has been dropping me off at the drop off, then he parks the car and meets me in the press room. This bag has made it easy for me to Sherpa a lot of stuff while he parks the car.
*I have not used the helmet hammock yet.

Kulkea Thermal Trekker for the win! :toast

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I fondled one of these at A Racer's Edge in Breck earlier today, and it followed me home. Looking forward to testing it out (although honestly it might be a while - I don't expect to use it when skiing Breck).

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I fondled one of these at A Racer's Edge in Breck earlier today, and it followed me home. Looking forward to testing it out (although honestly it might be a while - I don't expect to use it when skiing Breck).

I almost bought the smaller Snow Eagle one while at A Racer's Edge earlier this week. They both look nice but I haven't used either so I'm curious what it was about he Kulkea that sold you. I'm taking my daughter's boots there next week so I'll probably walk out with one of them.

Sponsor

Staff online