• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Will these go on sale in the spring? I just got ZipFits, which are not cheap, and need a heated boot bag again. My Hot Gear Bag crapped out a few years ago, and I never looked into getting the heating element replaced. I don't care for having my boots and helmet and all other stuff crammed into the same compartment anyway.

The new Kulkea is one option. Here's another... it's pricey, but less than a whole new bag.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
I want to get one of these heated bags but am worried about it getting stolen at the base lodge. Are you guys just putting them is lockers when skiing? I assume they would fit.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am on my second season with this bag. Really enjoyed warm boots last season. I use a 29.5 boot and it fits in the bag no problem. I would agree with the statement a 30.5 would fit as well. My bag has held up really well, but the heating pads have stopped working this season. The 110 volt controller has broken and the 12v operation (seperate cord) is not working anymore either. I will be contacting Kulkea and hopefully making use of their 2 year warranty. I will post how it turns out. Maybe my big boots cause a wiring issue, don't know. Otherwise I have been really pleased with the bag and its holding up well.
I had a similar issue with the switch on the 110v controller failing. It was almost as if it stripped inside and after contacting Kulkea I received a switch and a triangle head tool to replace it.
It was an easy fix and warms like it was new but the on light doesn’t work.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I want to get one of these heated bags but am worried about it getting stolen at the base lodge. Are you guys just putting them is lockers when skiing? I assume they would fit.
The only place I recall actually putting them in a locker and locking it was at JHMR. Right or wrong we just put them on the door in a pile with race team gear, in open cubbies, or hanging on a hook. This was all pre-20/21 season since that was a boot up in the lot year. Mt. Rose, Palisades Tahoe, Alpine, Mammoth, no issues. At the gathering sites we usually had a big room so they stayed in there with other SkiTalk members' gear.

All that said it's probably not very wise to leave a nice bag with other gear just laying around. As to locker fit, empty they do squish down. We got @AKMINK's, @Tricia's, @Philpug's, and mine in a tall locker at JHMR. Fit is a relative term and we may or may not have needed help getting the door unlocked and opened as the walls of the locker were bowed a bit. My advice is get the bag then figure out what you'll be doing to store it. We all may still be doing the parking lot lodge thing again anyway.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
The only place I recall actually putting them in a locker and locking it was at JHMR. Right or wrong we just put them on the door in a pile with race team gear, in open cubbies, or hanging on a hook. This was all pre-20/21 season since that was a boot up in the lot year. Mt. Rose, Palisades Tahoe, Alpine, Mammoth, no issues. At the gathering sites we usually had a big room so they stayed in there with other SkiTalk members' gear.

All that said it's probably not very wise to leave a nice bag with other gear just laying around. As to locker fit, empty they do squish down. We got @AKMINK's, @Tricia's, @Philpug's, and mine in a tall locker at JHMR. Fit is a relative term and we may or may not have needed help getting the door unlocked and opened as the walls of the locker were bowed a bit. My advice is get the bag then figure out what you'll be doing to store it. We all may still be doing the parking lot lodge thing again anyway.
Thanks, I ordered it today. Looking forward to getting into my LV boots easer….

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Picked a bag up last season and agree with all the posts about it being a game changers. Always thought it was over the top until I slipped into warm boots.
One trick I started doing is after I boot up in the lot, I would put my street shoes in the bag. And then use my remote start to warm up the car and boots after a day on the hill.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
Got my bag and the quality is amazing. Every aspect is heavy duty. I tested it out and it makes a night and day difference on getting my boots on. Well worth the money.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All you have heard is true - these are the bees knees.

I am a little nervous about checking it for the first time this season - here's hoping she holds up just fine. Will carry my boots on and fill this with stuff and check w/ ski box.
This is exactly what I do when I fly. I do tuck the arm straps away before handing the bag over - no problems at all.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AAA3EC5C-B70D-4191-ADEC-87D6A6D08E09.JPG

We got in trouble for this. :) I guess we're not supposed to share a locker amongs 4 people.

This from the meeting room at Big Sky.
9542219E-4A64-4EE4-91CA-DBE68C4F6163.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We got in trouble for this. :) I guess we're not supposed to share a locker amongs 4 people.
The one lady said it was ok. The one who had to help open the door said no.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have had bith Hot Gear and Transpack bags. We used to keep both our pairs of boots in the one HG bag but had to buy 2 Transpack bags to handle both pairs. Both brands have very rugged, well made bags. We had the HG bag for almost 10 years.

The issue with these bags is the heating element. Either the switches go bad or, more often, the heating element just fails. After 15 years with two brands I would say the heaters average 3 to 4 seasons of 30 to 45 days. The HG lasted a little longer but not much.

Getting the new heaters is a PITA. Transpack has an arrangement with JenSkates for replacement heaters, but they won't sell you a new one until you have sent your old one back. That means that if your heater dies during the season, you are without one for 2 to 3 weeks. Presumably this is to prevent people from Gerry-rigging a non heater bag.

All a long prelude to asking of the Kulkea uses an improved element and what the experience of the long term owners has been.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have had bith Hot Gear and Transpack bags. We used to keep both our pairs of boots in the one HG bag but had to buy 2 Transpack bags to handle both pairs. Both brands have very rugged, well made bags. We had the HG bag for almost 10 years.

The issue with these bags is the heating element. Either the switches go bad or, more often, the heating element just fails. After 15 years with two brands I would say the heaters average 3 to 4 seasons of 30 to 45 days. The HG lasted a little longer but not much.

Getting the new heaters is a PITA. Transpack has an arrangement with JenSkates for replacement heaters, but they won't sell you a new one until you have sent your old one back. That means that if your heater dies during the season, you are without one for 2 to 3 weeks. Presumably this is to prevent people from Gerry-rigging a non heater bag.

All a long prelude to asking of the Kulkea uses an improved element and what the experience of the long term owners has been.
I have had the switch go bad in my bag, but the 12 volt plug for the car never failed, so I used it while I was waiting for Kulkea to send me a new set of pads with switch.
They replaced it with no questions asked.
I have had Hot Gear, Transpack and Kulkea Thermal Trekkers. Of all three Kulkea's customer service beats the crap out of the other two, hands down.

As a side note. Kulkea had a change in their public relations people in the past year so the account here was not maintained. I recently realized this and reached out to them. The account will be monitored by someone from Kulkea starting Monday.

This just happened to slip through the cracks.
Sorry about that.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Can you explain this? Did Kulkea improve the heating controller? I think their issue has been the controller. Kulkea sent me a new one last week. Should show up today. Since Kulkea bags heat differently from others, that controller is really critical (Kulkea bags heat at the same temperature on each setting but take different times to reach that target temperature)

the bag itself is bomber though with great pockets for separating gear. I use those travel cube bags for buffs, gloves and such so you dont have them all running around loose in the bag. @SkiNurse had already beat me to the concept but great minds think alike. (I think). :)

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I meant both the controller and the heating "pad". I have had to replace both a number of times on both HotGear bag and Transpack. The bags on both brands were very well made and could last 50 years. It is the heating assembly that keeps failing. So it would only be worth changing to Kulkea if the heating parts don't need to be replaced every 3 years.

Reactions: Ron

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another happy customer here after 1+ years. I feel like I’m going to break my ankles putting my boots on when it is cold, now, its like a warm pair of slippers :)

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
One trick I started doing is after I boot up in the lot, I would put my street shoes in the bag. And then use my remote start to warm up the car and boots after a day on the hill.
I had missed this earlier, but this is a BRILLIANT idea. Now if only there were a way to quickly heat one's ski boots after a day's skiing so as to obviate the need to turn the air blue getting the @#$%ing things off ...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Day one starts tomorrow with the new bag. Did get everything I had from previous duffle bag into this one. We'll see are it last this year. Looking forward to using the heated bag.
20211127_195427_HDR.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid