• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Andy, bingo it is the switch. We took it to christy's sports today since most lifts were closed due to winds. Plugged it in the car and it worked fine. We were advised to get a hold of Kulkea and see what they say.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
i got one back in Oct and after testing it the heater pad was only getting hot on the bottom 1/4 of the pad. I could open the Velcro and feel the heater element on the top half and it was not even warm. Opened a claim and they were fast to respond, sent me a new heating pad. Haven’t had a chance to install but they have great customer service!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone ever bought a $15 12v heating pad from wally's etc. and festered together their own heated bag? I really like my bag and it's only a couple of years old...

Even simpler, I put bags of rice in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, slide them into the boots, "cork" them with a rolled up pair of old gloves, and my boots are butter a half hour later at the mountain.

Helps to have a wife that can make perfectly-sized rice bags for my 29.5 boots!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last season I had the switch go bad and was sent a replacement which I installed.
Recently one boot compartment stopped warming all together and looking back I don’t think it was ever working as it should have after the switch failed.
I opened a warranty claim and replied to a previous email regarding the switch replacement. After 15 days and no response I purchased a heating pad.
Kulkea refunded the purchase price of the heating pad. I didn’t expect it and appreciate Kulkea doing it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope Kulkea gets the heat part of the bag figured out because the rest of the bag is SOOO good. I carry so much stuff in mine that @Philpug picked it up without my boots in it and asked if I was still hauling my Raptors around! It's heavy when it's full and I usually swing it on with just one strap. Honestly, I'm surprised that strap hasn't pulled out yet. I'm trying to think how many days I have on the bag and it must be over 250 days.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I, too, love the bag and the customer service. I wonder if part of the problem is that the bag is soooo big that we all fill it with too much crap!

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
Have a bag on the way, and have a couple of questions for you expert users of this bag. (I've had both the Transpack and the old HotGear bags; Bergeron keeps insisting I need boots which are almost impossible to pull on if they aren't at least a little warm!) Questions:
  1. Are there any issues with the heat of this bag messing with punches? I'm thinking it's likely I'll need to insulate my punches from the bag, but thought I'd see if you all had any experience with it.
  2. If you have lace-up liners, how do you pack the bag? Liners inside the boots, outside in the boot pockets, inside the big pocket, or...? I have typically kept them outside the boots since I have to remove them to put the boots on and take them off.
Any thoughts?

My Transpack just failed in the way all of these bags seem to fail: the heating pad stops functioning. In my case, I can even see some bare wire on one side of the switch!

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It doesn’t get hot enough to mess with your punches so no worries there. If you want to warm your liners separate from your shells, there is plenty of room in the center compartment. I keep gloves, buffs, extra layers in there and everything gets nice and warm. It’s a big , roomy bag!

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
It doesn’t get hot enough to mess with your punches so no worries there. If you want to warm your liners separate from your shells, there is plenty of room in the center compartment. I keep gloves, buffs, extra layers in there and everything gets nice and warm. It’s a big , roomy bag!
Thanks, @Pat AKA mustski! I hope you're right about the punches... the Transpack appears to have messed with them!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hate to jump on the bandwagon….but my wife’s bag/switch unfortunately stopped working this weekend…....kind of surprised me/then I looked at this thread and saw others with similar issues.

Looks like I will have to contact them as well.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @Pat AKA mustski! I hope you're right about the punches... the Transpack appears to have messed with them!
I had several punches in my Head Raptors and the heat never bothered them. Different plastics have different temps to make the punches but @KULKEA says the bags don't get hot enough to damage any of the current plastics.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Transpack just failed in the way all of these bags seem to fail: the heating pad stops functioning. In my case, I can even see some bare wire on one side of the switch!
You can purchase a new heating pad for the Transpak from Jenskates. They require you send the old one back. I know its too late but if you want to keep the bag for a bck up nor friend...

Reactions: ssh

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
I had several punches in my Head Raptors and the heat never bothered them. Different plastics have different temps to make the punches but @KULKEA says the bags don't get hot enough to damage any of the current plastics.
Sweet! Thank you!
You can purchase a new heating pad for the Transpak from Jenskates. They require you send the old one back. I know its too late but if you want to keep the bag for a bck up nor friend...
That's what I did. $40 seems worth it. The old one is on the way already...

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
submitted the warranty claim on Saturday and received a email last night that they were replacing the heating pad under warranty. hope it last.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I are going into the fourth year with our Kulkea bags. Never had a problem.

skifastflylow1

Booting up
Skier
My heater died on one side. 2nd time in 2 years. emailed company. No response. Not acceptable customer service. This seems to be a reoccurring theme with Kulkea lately.
I will not buy another Kulkea product.

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
My heater died on one side. 2nd time in 2 years. emailed company. No response. Not acceptable customer service. This seems to be a reoccurring theme with Kulkea lately.
I will not buy another Kulkea product.
This is surprising. They have been very responsive to me. Perhaps your email got lost? Did you get an auto-response to it? I suggest making a call if they haven't gotten back to you.

Sponsor

Staff online