• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
sounds like a bad battery if its not heating. I only noticed this happening once and it said the same thing but my foot was warm.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yeah, finding the battery isn't the issue. It finds the battery but then says, essentially, "the heater attached to this battery isn't working." And my foot is cold, which backs up the report. I'll try to get a screenshot.

I would grab my multimeter and check the continuity for the cable connections. You might have to rig some wires if the metal contacts of the cable aren't easily accessible for the multimeter probes. I have had heater cables fail and that's how I determined that it was definitely the cable. This is why I now run my cables up the back of my liner in between the liner layers to protect the cable from the abuse it used to take going in/out of the shells racer style.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Good idea! :thumb: those wires are pretty beefy but that could def be the cause, I dont know where that app "looks" to monitor the performance of the battery and heating elements (I assumed it wasn't that advanced) so that could be the cause.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S did you call Customer service?
I haven't done that yet because of my aversion to having to deal with actual people ;), but I did finally just send them an a email with screenshots. If that doesn't work I will call.

20210214_100031.jpg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
UPDATE: HUGE PROPS to John from Sidas. After a few emails I had a new element in my mailbox like the next day. Much better resolution than I'd expected!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
UPDATE: HUGE PROPS to John from Sidas. After a few emails I had a new element in my mailbox like the next day. Much better resolution than I'd expected!
We have had nothing but excellent service from Sidas.
Glad to hear that you had a great experience with them.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Can someone report real world battery life on the 1300 batteries non-bluetooth(if that matters), particularly on the medium and high settings?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can someone report real world battery life on the 1300 batteries non-bluetooth(if that matters), particularly on the medium and high settings?

I've got two days (5 hrs 12F, 2 hrs 18F) with the 1300 nonBT batteries. The new batteries held up well. I'm curious about their performance after say 30 days (aka 2 seasons for me). Right now, it's a game changer in that I'm only wondering how to warm up my hands instead of frostbit toes ;-)

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I've got two days (5 hrs 12F, 2 hrs 18F) with the 1300 nonBT batteries.
Are you saying the batteries only lasted 5 and 2 hours respectively or that was how long you skied for those days?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi @chris_the_wrench I have had the 1300 BT batteries and I can get two full days before recharging if I'm on setting 6 or so.
The one day that I had it on 9 it only lasted about 7 hrs, but its rare that I have it on a setting that high.

*The reason I say "I had" the 1300 is because I tend to run my heaters a lot more than Phil so we switched batter sets as he had the 1700 and I had the 1300.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
One more question before I commit. I ski almost always off-piste(bumps/trees) and im always banging one inside of a boot off the other, my pants really show the wear plus im always down for a good number of crashes on a regular basis. Any concern about the rear boot mount for the batteries or should I consider the extension and dropping the batteries in my fleece pant pockets?

Thanks again

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One more question before I commit. I ski almost always off-piste(bumps/trees) and im always banging one inside of a boot off the other, my pants really show the wear plus im always down for a good number of crashes on a regular basis. Any concern about the rear boot mount for the batteries or should I consider the extension and dropping the batteries in my fleece pant pockets?

Thanks again
These batteries mount on the outside or inside, depending on the powerstrap you have.
I like min on the inside of the cuff (not inside the boot) because it reminds me to keep my legs apart a little.

I've never had an issue with the batteries coming off.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
These batteries mount on the outside or inside, depending on the powerstrap you have.
I like min on the inside of the cuff (not inside the boot) because it reminds me to keep my legs apart a little.

I've never had an issue with the batteries coming off.

Just don't mount boot heater batteries on the rear cuff top. They'll get destroyed by chairlift hits (don't ask me how I know)...

Reactions: ejj

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Normally very confident in my body but confess to feeling slightly inadequate in this moment.
20210225_193221-01.jpeg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks again
I mounted mine outside boot cuff straps, inside pants legs. Never worried about losing them in trees or boot deep. Hadn't considered inside cuff, would think harder to adjust power in that position. Might be, probably, wrong given how more easy to see inside cuff.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those that have used the Thermic's more than a season, how are they holding up? Still heating consistently? Have you had to buy any replacement parts?

There's not a ton of user reviews on the web for the heaters/batteries and what is out there aren't what I'd call glowing reviews. Also, the Therm-ic Controller app has terrible reviews on both the Google and Apple app stores. That said in early Feb they pushed out an update to the app which supposedly addressed the bluetooth issues.

I had Hotronic s3s for few seasons and they served me well, though I did have to replace a battery. Debating Thermic but at this point I'm not sure the size and bluetooth advantages outweigh the reliability.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That said in early Feb they pushed out an update to the app which supposedly addressed the bluetooth issues.
The app does SEEM to be working better - i.e., recognizing both battery units more quickly and reliably - now, but I haven't given it a proper test on the hill since the upgrade. You presumably saw my story with the failing heating unit (not battery) above. I have the replacement in the boot now. Haven't skied with it yet but it works on a smoke-test basis.

The more I think about it the more gommy all of these systems seem. Wires under tape running all over the place in a wet environment subject to stress, strain, abrasion, kinking, etc. (Yes, Noodler, I know you are running yours inside the liner now. Good enhancement, but still not exactly slick.) Cutting holes in expensive pieces of equipment that were never designed to be cut. Etc., etc. I see a design opportunity here, but I am no designer.

Sponsor