• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long Term Test: 2017 DPS Foundation Wailer F112RP2

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Quick impressions from a few runs on the new 112 foundation ski which is essentially a storied Wailer 112 in the new Foundation construction, heavier and cheaper than the regular 112RP

Wailer 112 was and remains a huge hit for DPS, so looks like the extended it to the mid-range Foundation line which is supposed to be a more mass market product. The snow feel- well, it's a Wailer, so it skis spretty nicely especially with the newer shape that doe not have quite as much rocker (it's still a lot of rocker though, it's a Wailer...). You get all the standard Wailer goodness, playfulness, quickness, and good edge hold for a wide ski. It's more damp than a regular wailer and feels certainly heavier. I did notice a bit less of torsional stiffness, which the regular Hybrid or Nano DPC construction have in spades. I have no doubt that it will ski powder like a normal wailer, which means automatic turns, non-hooky tip and general feeling of invincibility.

The question Phil and I discussed was whether it's the one to buy if you only ski powder at the resort. The thought was that the increased dampness is just about makes it a perfect ski for that purpose. Then I got home and stated to think...one thing is that the increased dampness would make the most difference at high speed, at which point I'd rather be on an entirely different ski anyway. I'd rather have a lighter ski with SOME damping than to be on a heavier ski or on a much lighter ski that bounces around. The Hybrid maybe that Goldilocks model, not too light but not too heavy either. Now, if you put price into the equation, the decision gets a lot more complicated, the F112 is all the powder ski an average Joe Good Skier may need and hopefully it won't break the bank as the other DPS models tend.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wish I could have made it out to ski with you guys.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been on the majority of the Foundation collection now and I will say this one was one of my favorites. I do love the Tequila Sunrise color fade which does have a bit of a homage to the original banana yellow Wailer 112 and like the other Foundation skis, it just looks classy. @Alexzn mentioned that the ski felt heavy, honestly, I didn't feel that at all but I will defer to him since he has more days on the original Wailer 112 than I do (It's not heavy ;)). What I did like the most about the F112 was it's playfulness and I liked it better than the other 112's I have skied, enough to the point that this would be on my short list of powder skis that I woudl choose. The 184 was perfect for me, Alex felt it was short, but he skis the 112 in a 190, so that is understandable.

IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1097.JPG

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Of course the F112 is not heavy compared to a metal blizzard or just about any serious all-mountain ski. Its just heavi(er) compared to the other specimen in the 112 family. I actually got to ski the 184 112RP in the Pure2 (courtesy of @Bobalooski earlier in the year). The F122 is significantly heavier without being that much damper and has a subjectively weaker edgehold compared to my own original Hybrid and to the Pure2 (as befits a cheaper ski, I must say). Again, the cost savings are worth the tradeoffs for a dedicated powder ski for at least 80% of the skiing population, so DPS has some solid business logic behind it. I like the graphics but prefer the solid yellow of the regular 112RP, its just such an iconic top sheet that makes this ski instantly recognizable, with the F112 you kind of do a double take- is it a 112 or something else. Without all this context, the top sheets are pure DPS; classy, restrained, bright and unique. Overall, a very, very good powder ski that may still be overshadowed by its pricier fancier twins.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil, great call on the matching jacket & goggles you wore ! :golfclap:
... Was that planned or by accident / coincidence ? :roflmao:Such a fashionista !
And damn you guys & gals who still have snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, great call on the matching jacket & goggles you wore ! :golfclap:
... Was that planned or by accident / coincidence ? :roflmao:Such a fashionista !
And damn you guys & gals who still have snow.
I have an outfit for every pair of skis. ;)

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else get more time of the Wailer 112 Foundation ?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With Snowmageddon happening here in Tahoe for the past 10 days or so, most of my skiing has been on this new DPS. I will say that in all but the heaviest condtions the new F112RP did everything I asked of it. When this atmospheric river started, the first thing it laid down was twenty plus inches of Utah light powder.

In this light snow is where the new Foundation ski skied to 110% of its capability. It floated, carved, porpoised in and out of the snow just as I would have hoped and expected. Sooo much fun. A couple of days later the snow turned to Sierra Cement..this was cement that would make any New York Teamster happy to bury a body in..I'm not sayin' but I'm sayin' you know what I mean? Forgettaboutit. It was heavy cement. It felt like a 1:1 water content. These were the conditions that the lighter entry-level Foundation's limits were exposed -- but in fairness to the ski, I am not sure any ski without two sheets of metal could have survived. A Patron would have been just as thrown around but its steroid-swilling deceased brother the Helldorado would have been OK, but I wouldn't want to ski the Helldo the rest of the time.

As the storm changed and evolved, we saw many types of snow conditions...many? Every. One of the days had some of the fastest and slipperiest powder ..well..deep snow I have been in. This is the day I got to ski the 112 against the new 189cm Head Kore 117. Now, 112 vs 117 and 184 vs 189...not completely fair but with my years of being able to compartmentalize these little differences, I feel I could be pretty objective and compare the two. Even though the DPS was shorter, the rise of the tip and tail of the Kore was greater, making the wheelbase closer than what the length would seem like. The shorter turn radius of the DPS made it much more playful, but that was at the cost of high-speed stability, which the Kore had over the Wailer. Is one better than the other? No, just different and it would come down to what you want in a ski. This comparison was made in some low-angle trees on the frontside of Northstar; if I was on the Backside or Lookout or the trees off of Scotts Chair at Alpine, I would probably prefer the Head.

As the snow firmed up later in the day is again where the Wailer is just a fun ski. Even at 112 underfoot, it likes to be brought up on edge and carved. Overall, this newest evolution of the Wailer shape and profile is indeed a winning design. Yes, the ski could be overpowered by bigger/stronger skiers, but as a playful powder ski, it is a great shape. With the aforementioned Patron not coming back next year and being replaced by the Enforcer 110, I am looking forward to comparing the two.