• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Longer ski jackets that cover your behind on chairlift?

Bassmantweed

Booting up
Skier
Hello. First post here. Been away from skiing for a while and looking to get a newer coat.

last weekend I saw a “new” trend where a lot of the ski jackets extended further in the back. I assume this came from the snowboard world where they sit in the snow.

I usually wear a neoprene hot bunn when it’s snowing or raining to keep my butt dry and warm.

These coats have piqued my curiosity but I can’t really find any. does anyone have one they like or can someone clue me in on what to search for. Googling long ski coat does not return much.

is that flap callled something specific akin to a powder skirt.

TS
B

Bassmantweed

Booting up
Skier
Google snowboard jackets. Most snowboard oriented jackets are longer. Flylow and Burton, for example
Thanks for the help.

I have looked at them but they seem like they come down mid butt. Which I would have to believe wouldn’t cover much when sitting on a lift. I could be wrong.

the ones I saw weren’t even, in back they were a little longer than the front.

I should have also mentioned that I am 6’6” with a 34” inseam so I am basically torso man.

I’ll keep looking

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hear what you’re saying but maybe consider investing in a good pair of ski pants instead of an extra long jacket. Pants keep your lower half warm and dry. A long jacket is nice to keep snow and cold air away from the belly button.

TS
B

Bassmantweed

Booting up
Skier
I hear what you’re saying but maybe consider investing in a good pair of ski pants instead of an extra long jacket. Pants keep your lower half warm and dry. A long jacket is nice to keep snow and cold air away from the belly button.

I have a nice pair of Patagonia insulated ski pants. The problem is no matter how good the pants if you sit on a snow covered chairlift you compress the snow it melts and becomes water under pressure. The same is true i suppose with a longer coat..........

Today i use neoprene hot buns and it works fine...... i was just poking around to see if i could buy some new gear as buying new gear is always fun...... I guess if it it isnt broken dont fix it.

Last edited:

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a nice pair of Patagonia insulated ski pants. The problem is no matter how good the pants if you sit on a snow covered chairlift you compress the snow it melts and becomes water under pressure. The same is true i suppose with a longer coat..........

Today i use neoprene hot buns and it works fine...... i was just poking around to see if i could buy some new gear as buying new gear is always fun...... I guess if it it isnt broken dont fix it.

5FEF9A26-9C8A-4461-A4BF-A3B36C7631DC.jpeg

This stuff works so well that they are trying to make it illegal. It’s already outlawed in California and maybe some other states. Better get some while you can. I use it occasionally to refresh the DWR on my ski pants which don’t wet through when sitting on snow covered chairlifts. PSA: use it outside as it’s got some nasty chemicals.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No go.. They'll hide the underwear my saggy pants are showing off..

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Race start jackets/capes, etc. or coaches jackets.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Race start jackets/capes, etc. or coaches jackets.

I was just talking about this with a friend. If you see someone in a long black winter coat on the hill they tend to be either very hardcore coaches/officials/racers or very new skiers from the city wearing what they wear around town.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 194168
This stuff works so well that they are trying to make it illegal. It’s already outlawed in California and maybe some other states. Better get some while you can. I use it occasionally to refresh the DWR on my ski pants which don’t wet through when sitting on snow covered chairlifts. PSA: use it outside as it’s got some nasty chemicals.
So ... don't plan on having any children??

I'd rather have a wet butt.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you start licking the backside of your ski pants to taste the waterproofing there are much larger problems at hand, but it’s not anything all of us born before 2023 have been unknowingly ingesting for years.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
So ... don't plan on having any children??

I'd rather have a wet butt.
I think that you will be ok. You don’t spray it directly on your reproductive parts. All kidding aside, it is a very good product. DWR needs occasional refreshment. Might as well use something that works. Also, children are expensive.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The longer jackets (coats) from Arctic’s rock. I have the Gatemaster and it is my go-to for frigid weather.

I looked a week or so ago and they had them on close out.