• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look Rockerace: Wider Brakes

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't thought much of Look Rockerace until Phil referred to them as the unicorn of bindings for having:
  • a short mount distance,
  • good adjustment range, and
  • a lower price point.
To this list, we can add:
  • large elasticity (~26mm, pivots only about 2mm more)
  • good adjustment hardware (worm gear)
  • a metal pole cup, won't mar the bindings when stepping out
  • good inboard brake retraction (they are racing bindings afterall)
  • DIN options with Look's classic metal toe piece
  • great colors (have you seen them in Forza and Green?)
For all that it has going for it, the Rockerace has two significant drawbacks: it only comes with 80 mm brakes and it's only intended to be mounted on a Look racing plate.

I have a pair of skis with Rockerace as well as some with SPX and I thought surely the brakes are the same, but alas, no. Here they are side by side. Very similar, but different enough that SPX brakes are incompatible with Rockerace (Rockerace on the left, SPX on the right):

IMG_4628.jpeg
IMG_4629.jpeg

But then I got to wondering, can we put SPX brake arms into the Rockerace brake? SPX comes in 90, 100, and 120 mm. If the switch can be done, then we'd gain access to those brake sizes for the Rockerace binding. Let's give it a shot!

Obviously brakes have springs. And assemblies with preloaded springs are a pain to take apart and harder to put back together. Fortunately, the engineers at Look provided a way to partially unload the spring during assembly -- and disassembly! Just put a small screwdriver in this slot and pry out the spring end:

IMG_4630.jpeg

Then do the same with the other side. When you lift it out, the two spring ends will be pointed outside of the brake carrier:

IMG_4632.jpeg

The next step is to remove the pin that holds the spring in place:

IMG_4633.jpeg

A 1/16" pin punch and hammer will do:

IMG_4634.jpeg
IMG_4636.jpeg

Once it's halfway out, grab the other end with pliers and remove:

IMG_4637.jpeg

Now the parts start to come loose. Here they are:

IMG_4638.jpeg

Unfortunately the brake arms are held in place by a metal bracket, which itself is affixed to the heel platform by melted plastic tabs. Cut these tabs off with a hammer and chisel. And put on some leather gloves before you hurt yourself:

IMG_4640.jpeg

The heel platform with a tab cut free:

IMG_4641.jpeg

Now the brake arms can be pulled from the heel platform. Here are all the parts:

IMG_4643.jpeg

Now repeat this process for the other brake and the pair of donor brakes:

IMG_4644.jpeg

Once we swap brakes, we will reattach the bracket with thread forming screws. I found these screws on McMaster Carr, which requires a #27 drill bit. Set the stop on your drill press to prevent drilling through:

IMG_4645.jpeg
IMG_4646.jpeg
IMG_4647.jpeg

Swap in the new brake arms and attach the bracket:

IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4651.jpeg

Now for the hardest part: reassembling the spring enclosure. Get the spring properly oriented in the brake carrier. Have the spring ends in the unloaded position and insert the pin half way:

IMG_4653.jpeg
IMG_4654.jpeg

Now push the linkage arm into the spring and align it with the pin:

IMG_4656.jpeg

With some pliers, squeeze the linkage arm into place and tap the pin through. I did this by hold the pliers and bindings with both hands and hammering the pin against the edge of the workbench. Ugly, but it worked:

IMG_4659.jpeg

The pin should push through until it hits the brake carrier and housing. You somehow have to get the pin to align with these two holes and push it through. I think I used a screwdriver to hold the holes in alignment in combination with banging the pin on the workbench.

This final step takes muscle. Put the brake in a vice and push the spring ends into the brake carrier. Get the gloves on and use a strong, secure stance. Be prepared for if (when) the spring slips. Don't get hurt on this one. Once you get the spring over the edge and into the brake carrier, with a screwdriver, pry it further away from the edge for security. Do this on both sides:

IMG_4665.jpeg
IMG_4666.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg

Add some grease to the moving parts and your done!

IMG_4669.jpeg

Now mount these badass bindings on your favorite skis:

IMG_4706.jpeg
IMG_4705.jpeg

Look Ma! No Plates!

IMG_4707.jpeg

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Thanks, now everyone that sees this is going to expect the binding tech at the local ski shop to do this for 'free' with the cost of a ski mount when they bring in the gear they bought online. "You can just swap out the brake arms, it's easy". Jerk.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, now everyone that sees this is going to expect the binding tech at the local ski shop to do this for 'free' with the cost of a ski mount when they bring in the gear they bought online. "You can just swap out the brake arms, it's easy". Jerk.
LOL.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually there are (or at least used to be) wider brakes. The Rockerrace and Rockerflex race bindings use the same brake as the previous generation Axial 2/MFX race bindings. And there was also a Px18 variant of these for free skis rather than race that came with a wide brake (something around 100 IIRC). Now whether or not thai is still listed by Look is a different question....

Also @Philpug is there a jig available for these bindings for flat mounting rather than on a plate? or is it like the Atomic/Salomon X-var binding where i have never seen a jig....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually there are (or at least used to be) wider brakes. The Rockerrace and Rockerflex race bindings use the same brake as the previous generation Axial 2/MFX race bindings. And there was also a Px18 variant of these for free skis rather than race that came with a wide brake (something around 100 IIRC). Now whether or not thai is still listed by Look is a different question....

Also @Philpug is there a jig available for these bindings for flat mounting rather than on a plate? or is it like the Atomic/Salomon X-var binding where i have never seen a jig....
I was wondering if there was a chance that the PX15/18 RACE brake might also be an option. If that is the case, there is a full size range of brakes out there.

No, from what I understand there is no jig for these. What I don't understand is why they didn't use the Pivot mount pattern for these. There was no intention to flat mount these, the design was for race plates exclusively.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering if there was a chance that the PX15/18 RACE brake might also be an option. If that is the case, there is a full size range of brakes out there.

Yes, it is the same brake (At least on the Rockerflex/rockerrace 15 and 18) as the older PX15/18. I assume the RR12 is the same but I dont have one here to check

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
Every once and a while I go on Ebay and hunt for old PX15 bindings with the 100mm brake (sometimes they are misspelled FX15 and are dirt cheap). If you started up a side-gig of putting wider brakes on old look race bindings, you'd probably have many loyal customers (including me)

... In the meantime, it's good to know any tech will be happy to do this for me for a $30 mounting fee :ogbiggrin:

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you started up a side-gig of putting wider brakes on old look race bindings, you'd probably have many loyal customers (including me)

Ha! I just came across this post on TGR. Maybe there is a market here...

If you need a pair and you have the parts, I'll do it for the cost of shipping. Just message me.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going back and forth between Pivots and Rockerace for my M88s. The SPX 90mm brakes are much tighter inboard and the race binding feels more solid, especially stepping in.

IMG_5824.jpeg
IMG_5825.jpeg

These bindings are pretty choice, it seems a waste to only enjoy them on plated race skis. Reminder: we do have a working template for Rockerace. Again, open offer for anyone needing an SPX-Rockerace brake swap. The inverse is also possible for those needing an 80mm brake on SPX, which I did for my son's SL skis.

Entertaining Full Tilts this season. I may get a stiffer tonge, but so far the fit with the Intuition wrap-around liners feels pretty good. We'll see how they do.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a wide brake for a px15/18, rocker flex 18 if anyone would like to swap for the standard brake (or alternatively if anyone wants to buy the full PX18 setup with wide brake)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a wide brake for a px15/18, rocker flex 18 if anyone would like to swap for the standard brake
We still haven't confirmed if that brake works for the RockerRace 12, correct?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We still haven't confirmed if that brake works for the RockerRace 12, correct?
It should do Phil. Here are pictures of the rocker flex 15/18, PX15/18 brake which appear to be exactly the same as the RR brake shown in post 1 (I suspect this same brake is used on all the short mount race models). This is the 115 brake I have available

tempImage5tErxP.png
tempImagerWnvHB.png
tempImagelz8Mji.png

side view
tempImagesNNJ2v.png

and here is a 100mm previous gen (non race) brake which appears to be the same as the current SPX type brake (the are also available if anyone needs them, found them in my box of brakes) I do need one or two sets of standard width PX race brakes any one is holding

tempImagemq0cqw.png

Attachments

• tempImagelup7pO.png
    tempImagelup7pO.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 23

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@ScotsSkier I am not sure why Look would feel the need to produce a third PX/SPX brake... but I also didn't see the reason they needed produce the second one either. ;)

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just discovered that Rossignol names Rockerace heel bindings as an "SPX Micro" heel piece type. See "Heel Piece" under "Characteristics" tab:

AND Sundance Ski & Board Shop sells Look / Rossignol Micro-Heel Brakes in 80, 100, and 120mm widths -- they also sell regular SPX brakes too. I feel like they just put me out of business.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just as another (geek :ogbiggrin:) point of information since w are going down this path, the track/slides on the actual heel pieces the same on the older Axial 2/MFX binding heel piece as on the newer Rockerace/Rockerflex bindings so you can take an older heel piece and slide it on the heel chassis for the Rockerace/Rockerflex. And similarly you can interchange a 15 and an 18 heel piece on the chassis (I am pretty sure this would also apply to the Rockerace 12 as I can not see it using a different chassis but don't have one to hand to try) . But I hear you all asking.....why on earth would you want to do that???. Well anyone that has used the Rockerflex 15 SPX knows that it is a PITA to step into. It alwaysfeehl like it is mechanically broken. But a lot of us prefer to use the 15 on a slalom ski as it is 12-14 ounces/ski lighter than the (much smoother mechanically) RF 18 heel. And the Axial 2 15 heel weight-wise is pretty much in the middle between the spx15 and RF 18. And i just happen to have a set off Axial 2 15s sitting here so, for grins and giggles, I am goin to swap out an SPX15 heel with the Axial 2 to see how it feels on a pair of slaloms.

And just to add, i still have a set of wide brakes available for a Rockerace/Rockerflex that I would be happy to swap for a standard narrow brake...