• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for 100-105 Groomer Ski for snow days.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi there! Looking for a 100-105ish ski that is solid on groomers becasue that is what I mostly ski, but that would make a nice Western snow day ski. We are traveling more for our skiing and concentrate on resorts with excellent groomer skiing, as we are old and beat up. :)

I have Liberty Evolv90 skis at 179 right now for all my frontside needs when there is no new to little snow. I absolutely love how smooth and stable these skis are on groomers and hardpack and I live they way make turning so fun. They are fine in up to a few inches of snow but the flat tails get pretty grabby in anything over my boot tops and they become work to ride.

I'm looking for a wider ski with more float and with some tip and tail rocker to help get me on top of the new snow, rather than in it. Looking in the 100-106 range as I do not want a dedicated powder ski simply because I do not ski powder often and only will on the few travel days that happen to coincide with a storm. For example, had a two-day period at Whitefish recently where 7" fell on day then 4" the next then none the next. Had one of the greatest ski days I've ver had on that third day with my Evol 90s but struggled a bit on the first day and had to work a bit harder than my old body likes on day two.

I do want a wider ski that is good on groomers but more playful and floaty. Some of the skis I am looking at are:

Head KORE 105
Atomic Bent Chetler 100
Salomon Stance 102
Black Crows Justis 100
Armada Declivity 102
Dynastar M-Pro 99
Blizzard Rustler 10
Rossignol Black Ops Sender 104
K2 Mindbender 99
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
Liberty Origin 101 (2022)
DPS Pagoda Piste 100

All these seem to be great carving skis that can also handle some fresh powder and variable snow without being too terribly demanding. Great all-mountain skis, as it were. I really do want to be around 100 - 105 to keep it real for the groomers and not be too tiring while still getting a different ski than my Evolvs for softer and deeper snow. I know that is a big list but I am more of a longer turn, groomer, down the fall line type of guy and I don't want a ski that will chatter or be unstable when I am ripping down groomers.

Our destinations are pretty set in stone. We like Whitefish and Big Sky (probably our two favorites), Steamboat, Snowmass, Sun Valley and Jackson Hole. This ski probably wouldn't be needed very often at Sun Valley but all of the others can get big dumps at any time.

Any help anyone can give on which of these might be best for me to concentrate on would be appreciated. If I had to go buy right now (I don't), I would lean Enforcer 104 Free, Declivity 102, Stance 102 or Black Ops Sender 104. I also have a soft spot for that Rustler 10 and its playfulness and I am looking forward to the Origin 101 with VMT tech! Thanks!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I would add the Head Kore 99 to the list. It has more sidecut than the Kore 105 and thus should do better on groomers but still offer some float in powder. The real test for a powder ski, imo is not so much how it performs in powder (that's the easy stuff), its how it does in the afternoon of a powder day in the cut up stuff that is the real test.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I would add the Head Kore 99 to the list. It has more sidecut than the Kore 105 and thus should do better on groomers but still offer some float in powder. The real test for a powder ski, imo is not so much how it performs in powder (that's the easy stuff), its how it does in the afternoon of a powder day in the cut up stuff that is the real test.
Agreed about how they ski when stuff gets skied off and chopped up.

I want to know that I made the right decision every time I step into my 100-105 skis rather than regretting not skiing my beloved Evov90. That is why I am leaning toward KORE 105 vs 99. I just couldn't bare to include Mindbender 108 or M-Free 108 as being just more ski than I want, so I included the 99 versions of those skis.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have one ski from your list (Bent Chentler 100) and one not (J Masterblaster). I share this as the J Masterblaster with Metal in construction is “inspiring” on the groomers and the BC 100 is not. The difference is notable when the snow is harder, more variable, and/or not perfectly groomed. This may not be universal but my experience is the groomer performance declines with wider skis as the construction gets lighter or sans Metal.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi there! Looking for a 100-105ish ski that is solid on groomers becasue that is what I mostly ski, but that would make a nice Western snow day ski. We are traveling more for our skiing and concentrate on resorts with excellent groomer skiing, as we are old and beat up. :)

I have Liberty Evolv90 skis at 179 right now for all my frontside needs when there is no new to little snow. I absolutely love how smooth and stable these skis are on groomers and hardpack and I live they way make turning so fun. They are fine in up to a few inches of snow but the flat tails get pretty grabby in anything over my boot tops and they become work to ride.

I'm looking for a wider ski with more float and with some tip and tail rocker to help get me on top of the new snow, rather than in it. Looking in the 100-106 range as I do not want a dedicated powder ski simply because I do not ski powder often and only will on the few travel days that happen to coincide with a storm. For example, had a two-day period at Whitefish recently where 7" fell on day then 4" the next then none the next. Had one of the greatest ski days I've ver had on that third day with my Evol 90s but struggled a bit on the first day and had to work a bit harder than my old body likes on day two.

I do want a wider ski that is good on groomers but more playful and floaty. Some of the skis I am looking at are:

Head KORE 105
Atomic Bent Chetler 100
Salomon Stance 102
Black Crows Justis 100
Armada Declivity 102
Dynastar M-Pro 99
Blizzard Rustler 10
K2 Mindbender 99
DPS Pagoda Piste 100

All these seem to be great carving skis that can also handle some fresh powder and variable snow without being too terribly demanding. Great all-mountain skis, as it were. I really do want to be around 100 - 105 to keep it real for the groomers and not be too tiring while still getting a different ski than my Evolvs for softer and deeper snow. I know that is a big list but I am more of a longer turn, groomer, down the fall line type of guy and I don't want a ski that will chatter or be unstable when I am ripping down groomers.

Our destinations are pretty set in stone. We like Whitefish and Big Sky (probably our two favorites), Steamboat, Snowmass, Sun Valley and Jackson Hole. This ski probably wouldn't be needed very often at Sun Valley but all of the others can get big dumps at any time.

Any help anyone can give on which of these might be best for me to concentrate on would be appreciated. If I had to go buy right now (I don't), I would lean Enforcer 104 Free, Declivity 102, Stance 102 or Black Ops Sender 104. I also have a soft spot for that Rustler 10 and its playfulness and I am looking forward to the Origin 101 with VMT tech! Thanks!

All solid skis. Not many bad skis nowdays. Depending on your size / weight and skiing style I would go with some over others.

I love the Rustler 10's for most days here in Colorado.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
All solid skis. Not many bad skis nowdays. Depending on your size / weight and skiing style I would go with some over others.

I love the Rustler 10's for most days here in Colorado.
I'm 6' and 215 lbs. I like to make leisurely GS-style turns on groomers. But when I travel, I don't always have that luxury, so looking for a 2-ski quiver to cover my groomer love (which the Evolv 90 does beautifully at 179cm) and the snow days I encounter while traveling away from the home hill. Even on the snow days, I'll be working my way down the runs that would normally be groomed. :cool:

The GPS app says I like to ski somewhere between 18-30 mph most of the time, although I did hit 51 mph on Corkscrew at Whitefish on a bluebird days with freshly-groomed snow.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm 6' and 215 lbs. I like to make leisurely GS-style turns on groomers. But when I travel, I don't always have that luxury, so looking for a 2-ski quiver to cover my groomer love (which the Evolv 90 does beautifully at 179cm) and the snow days I encounter while traveling away from the home hill. Even on the snow days, I'll be working my way down the runs that would normally be groomed. :cool:

The GPS app says I like to ski somewhere between 18-30 mph most of the time, although I did hit 51 mph on Corkscrew at Whitefish on a bluebird days with freshly-groomed snow.

Im 6-2 195. The Rustler 10 188cm's are money for me on open slopes. They ski great in powder as well. You can take them as your only ski out here no problem.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Why not look at evolv 100?
Just want more rocker in the back of the ski. The Evolv is a fantastic ski, but the flat tail grabs a bit with a few inches of snow on the ground. I'll still ski my Evolv 90 whenever there isn't more than 3-4" of new snow. Just want something different, as I believe a two-ski quiver to better than a one-ski quiver.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Armada Tracer 98 or 108 maybe? Very easy but able to carve when necessary.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Why not look at evolv 100?

I demoed it and didnt like iteven though I loved the eVolv90. The 100 is too chargey / groomer oriented for such a 100mm wide ski imho. It was not that great off piste. The Armada Tracer 108 is an awesome ski that will definitely do what the OP is looking for. I have demoed that ski a few times and liked it every time. The 98 is best for lighter skiers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head KORE 105
Atomic Bent Chetler 100

Salomon Stance 102
Black Crows Justis 100
Armada Declivity 102
Dynastar M-Pro 99
Blizzard Rustler 10
Rossignol Black Ops Sender Ti
K2 Mindbender 99
DPS Pagoda Piste 100
I took out the B tier in the list, not that they are bad skis but the others are better. Since we are compiling a "wish list", skis that are missing....
Augment AM98
Kastle MX99
Volkl Mantra 102

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Have you considered the Stockli Stormrider 105, if not I highly recommend it. Sturtevants and Seattle Ski both carry it and may even have one you can demo. You could also consider demoing the ski at Big Sky :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I took out the B tier in the list, not that they are bad skis but the others are better. Since we are compiling a "wish list", skis that are missing....
Augment AM98
Kästle MX99
Völkl Mantra 102
How about the Blossom Namaste?

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Augment AM98
Kästle MX99
Völkl Mantra 102
Alrighty! New list!

Salomon Stance 102
Black Crows Justis 100
Armada Declivity 102
Dynastar M-Pro 99
Dynastar M-Free 108
Rossignol Black Ops Sender Ti 104
K2 Mindbender 99
K2 Mindbender 108
Liberty Origin 101
Völkl Mantra 102

I’m an American of French descent. Liberty, K2 and Armada are American companies. With the current business climate, I’d love to buy American.

I will also always love Rossignol, Dynastar and Salomon as French companies and must admit that Black Crows has my attention in a big way. The Justis might be the perfect ski for me.

I have no ties to Völkl but I have always admired their design and engineering and have always wanted a pair.

I would be proud to own any of the above.

Again, I am a groomer skier. I just want to have fun on the days grooming isn’t really possible but might be by the end of the day.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
mantra 102 doesnt really care if if its ice, or piles of snow, or people in the way, it does like to have som space to run though, more lower speed limit to have fun, no upper, still super manouvrable and not upset with you at lower speeds though as tail lets you pivot/skid surprisingly easy, but you need some speed to get the higher edge angles it loves, only way to really hate life with the M102 is tight trees, wet snow, super low speed.

Justis is quite fun, like a m102 dialed back a bit?

Mounting up my m-free 108 as we speak! So stoked on trying them out finally

Been wanting to get on the Stance 102, and declivity 102, hear so many great things about both, but stuggeling with a bit of quiver overlap, its hard to have so many 100-102mm skis!

You also need to add fischer 102 FR, its on the more lively side, you will feel the end of day and go over things, not through, but still ski it well, vs the mantra which tends to make everything feel flat and not care.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

Head KORE 105
Atomic Bent Chetler 100
Salomon Stance 102
Black Crows Justis 100
Armada Declivity 102
Dynastar M-Pro 99
Blizzard Rustler 10
K2 Mindbender 99
DPS Pagoda Piste 100

I skied the Salomon QLab for a number of years, which were 103mm underfoot. They were an extraordinarily good carving ski. Amazingly good given the width. They were also a very very good ski off piste.

There is something of a trade off in the balancing between a carving ski, and off piste. The QLab didn’t have a particularly tapered tail. That meant it hung on to the end of the turn more than some of its contemporaries. That was great for groomed carving, but something to manage off piste.

Based on my experience with that ski I’d not hesitate to recommend the Stance 102. It appears to have much of the QLab DNA, with a slightly more forgiving tail.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
VERY interesting ski.

Sponsor