• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for 100-105 Groomer Ski for snow days.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s a long post but I’ll just highlight the bit I disagree with.

My understanding of the OP’s desire is he wanted a wider ski as a OSQ for western travel to cover groomers and soft snow.

Now to me it doesn’t really matter what his “other” ski is, if he’s leaving it home. He could pack both skis of course but that’s another story (and in fairness does appear to be a consideration). But as I say for the OSQ he surely wants a versatile ski for the conditions he encounters. Another ski he has at home isn’t really relevant to that. Which is why I think for typical western conditions somewhere in that 98mm-105mm range is great.

As someone who jumps on a plane every year to ski I can say it is very annoying travelling with two pairs of skis. With some airlines, it can also be very expensive. They’re heavy. Theyre cumbersome. It’s a lot easier to travel with just one ski.

If you do intend to travel with 2 skis then most definitely look to a 2SQ. And if you did, the wider ski would become more exclusively soft snow focused. That wasn’t my original understanding of the OPs intent though.
I’m totally ok with traveling with two skis. Our wheeled ski bags hold two pairs, poles, a pair of boots and all my ski clothes. My wife and I easily travel for up to a week with a ski bag and carry-on suitcase, each. I add a backpack to my carry-on and we are GTG.

If I were looking for a replacement for my Evolv 90 for a one-ski quiver, it would undoubtedly be the K2 Mindbender 99, Dynastar M-Pro 99, Black Crows Justis 100 or Rossignol Black Ops Holyshred 98. Knowing my preferences, I’d absolutely love any of these three.

I am looking for a ski that makes a two-ski travel quiver. I’m definitely leaning 102-110 now. In fact, the search would be over if the Mindbender 108 came in a 181-183 length. I’m not sure the 179 is right for me but I’m pretty darn sure I do not want a 186.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m totally ok with traveling with two skis. Our wheeled ski bags hold two pairs, poles, a pair of boots and all my ski clothes. My wife and I easily travel for up to a week with a ski bag and carry-on suitcase, each. I add a backpack to my carry-on and we are GTG.

If I were looking for a replacement for my Evolv 90 for a one-ski quiver, it would undoubtedly be the K2 Mindbender 99, Dynastar M-Pro 99, Black Crows Justis 100 or Rossignol Black Ops Holyshred 98. Knowing my preferences, I’d absolutely love any of these three.

I am looking for a ski that makes a two-ski travel quiver. I’m definitely leaning 102-110 now. In fact, the search would be over if the Mindbender 108 came in a 181-183 length. I’m not sure the 179 is right for me but I’m pretty darn sure I do not want a 186.
If I was definitely looking to travel with a 2SQ I would take your 90 and definitely be looking for more differentiation then. For me, based on what I’ve skied, that would be the Nordica Enforcer 104. No doubt. I don’t actually think you need wider.

I can say though outside my travels to Niseko, where I keep a powder ski, if I catch a plane I carry one pair of skis. I find it to be too annoying to travel with more, even though with discipline they fit in the bag with all my gear, just a touch above weight limits.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
fact, the search would be over if the Mindbender 108 came in a 181-183 length.

Then the search is over as K2 measure their skis after pressing vs most companies “pre-pressing”. Most companies 181cm stated length will be in the 178-179cm range after pressing the tip/tail shapes etc vs companies like K2 and ON3P that measure post pressing so a 179cm really is a 179cm ish when you put a tape measure on it.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, dont overthink lengths, if its a nice releaseing friendly tail + some rocker a longer ski will most of the time be friendlier than anything shorter you skied. This for many is such a mindtwister. Most skis listed here, skis short in the type of skis your looking at (except mantra 102 which is a beast)

I had my 174 intermediate buddy out on a pair of 184 moment blister pros, and he was very upset with me saying they were just to loong for the first 2-3 laps , then he was like.. ohh wait this is awesome, and they "turn way easier than my 172 or 177 skis". Heck I even got him converted to saying a forward stance was very nice for the tight treepow we were doing. I later put him on 192 bent chetler 120s just for fun, and he said they were just as easy as the 184moments...

For what you are describing, and if we remove the "rail groomer" part, enforcers are quite good, and E104s are way lighter handeling than E110s.

I think you need to demo the atris, and QST 106, together with the mindbender, maybe the rustler 10/11 and E014 All are friendly skis, and more importantly, more fun when not going mach 1.

Do you like to slarve around? carve? maybe carve with skids in ends of turns to scrub speed? what color slopes are you usually on?

I kinda default "my" mindset when someone writes rail on groomers, and for me that is just going as fast as air will let me, and still carve, 0 brakes.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
K2 Mindbender 108

Skied mine all day yesterday in pow. I'd just say easy, forgiving high-performance. But for me, NOT a carver at all.

SIDE NOTE: If you ever get invited to a semi-private, 100 person day at Turner Mountain outside Libby MT, say YES and make it happen. Wow!

You guys knew this was coming! :ogbiggrin:

Nordica Enforcer 100 is your ski!

For my personal resort pow use, nothing would make me happier than Nordica stretching the 100 to a 112, without changing anything else.

In fact, the search would be over if the Mindbender 108 came in a 181-183 length. I’m not sure the 179 is right for me but I’m pretty darn sure I do not want a 186.

You're not between lengths. Either would be fine, but you'd love the 186. It's an easy ski.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do want a wider ski that is good on groomers but more playful and floaty. Some of the skis I am looking at are:

I’m at big sky and my DD is Elan RS 106, the Armada Declivity 102 is on the short list for replacing it. you need to try those two.
Interesting note, the declivity line is designed by the one of the French/ Rossingnol R/D staff

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m currently at Big Sky, skiing Friday through Monday and coming home Tuesday. Maybe a snow day tomorrow, but that looks to be it.

We did a week at Whitefish late Jan - early Feb and had two snow days.

Did a long weekend at Mission Ridge in mid-Feb and got dumped on the entire time.

We have a week at Jackson Hole coming up in mid-March. Not sure what that will bring.

Had a snow day at Snoqialmie Summit where it had snowed so much over several days straight that absolutely nothing other than the cat tracks connecting the areas and lifts were groomed.

Also got a light snow day in at Crystal Mountain where something like the Stance 102 or Declivity 102 would have been nice.

So, lots of variety and probably more snow days than usual this season. This is what has us thinking that another set of skis makes great sense for both of us.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I played with my new Atris last Sunday (1.5 days after a good storm cycle) at PCMR. Spent a good few hours on super condor. For those who don’t know, condor offers a bit of everything: groomers, bowls, and chutes all facing different aspects so you get the whole enchilada in terms of snow conditions. The Atris handled all of it from the sun baked snow on south facing chutes, chalky snow in the shade, groomers (kestrel), and bumps Extremely well. At no point did I wish to be or consider being on another ski. Very versitile.
The
I played with my new Atris last Sunday (1.5 days after a good storm cycle) at PCMR. Spent a good few hours on super condor. For those who don’t know, condor offers a bit of everything: groomers, bowls, and chutes all facing different aspects so you get the whole enchilada in terms of snow conditions. The Atris handled all of it from the sun baked snow on south facing chutes, chalky snow in the shade, groomers (kestrel), and bumps Extremely well. At no point did I wish to be or consider being on another ski. Very versitile.
Sounds like the Atris in 184 should be high on my list. Just wondering if it can handle my weight, being such a light ski without metal?

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Also, dont overthink lengths, if its a nice releaseing friendly tail + some rocker a longer ski will most of the time be friendlier than anything shorter you skied. This for many is such a mindtwister. Most skis listed here, skis short in the type of skis your looking at (except mantra 102 which is a beast)

I had my 174 intermediate buddy out on a pair of 184 moment blister pros, and he was very upset with me saying they were just to loong for the first 2-3 laps , then he was like.. ohh wait this is awesome, and they "turn way easier than my 172 or 177 skis". Heck I even got him converted to saying a forward stance was very nice for the tight treepow we were doing. I later put him on 192 bent chetler 120s just for fun, and he said they were just as easy as the 184moments...

For what you are describing, and if we remove the "rail groomer" part, enforcers are quite good, and E104s are way lighter handeling than E110s.

I think you need to demo the atris, and QST 106, together with the mindbender, maybe the rustler 10/11 and E014 All are friendly skis, and more importantly, more fun when not going mach 1.

Do you like to slarve around? carve? maybe carve with skids in ends of turns to scrub speed? what color slopes are you usually on?

I kinda default "my" mindset when someone writes rail on groomers, and for me that is just going as fast as air will let me, and still carve, 0 brakes.
I actually more like “ leisurely cruise groomers” at speeds of 15-30 mph. I still like to make GS style turns more directly down the fall line as opposed to across it and skid the tails to scrub speed if coming upon other skiers or obstacles. Resort skiing often requires shorter turns, however, as you all know.

I like your list. Probably add Declivity 102 and Stance 102 to that.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
The

Sounds like the Atris in 184 should be high on my list. Just wondering if it can handle my weight, being such a light ski without metal?
I can’t say for sure but it supports me just fine.

also, I saw you are visiting big sky. Rumor has it there is a shop where you can demo on3p. I really wanted to check out a woodsman but no demos in Utah so if I were you I’d try and get up on one.

that being said, I fully endorse the Atris but find a ski you like...don’t listen to us knuckleheads.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Mindbender 108 came in a 181-183 length. I’m not sure the 179 is right for me

FWIW, My now rock skis K2 Rictors 90 in 177 are slightly longer tip-to-tail than the Evolv90 179 that replaced them. So not sure how K2 measures their skis.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I actually more like “ leisurely cruise groomers” at speeds of 15-30 mph. I still like to make GS style turns more directly down the fall line as opposed to across it and skid the tails to scrub speed if coming upon other skiers or obstacles. Resort skiing often requires shorter turns, however, as you all know.

I like your list. Probably add Declivity 102 and Stance 102 to that.
add m-free 108 in addition to Declivity 102 and Stance 102 ;)

Maaaaybe CT 3.0 2021 as well, its a burlier ski though, does carve rather nice.

Like someone said, you could throw a dart and not go wrong

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im 6-2 195. The Rustler 10 188cm's are money for me on open slopes. They ski great in powder as well. You can take them as your only ski out here no problem.
I'm 6' 170 and ski the Rustler 10 in 188 as well. Awesome ski all around even in the moguls...

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
So, after four days at Big Sky and going to the ski shop there and three more in Bozeman yesterday, I have compiled the recommendations of all four shops into this list:

Rossignol Black Ops Sender 104
Salomon Stance 102
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
Nordica Enforcer 100
Fischer Ranger 102 FR

Each of these skis were recommended unanimously by every shop that carried them. In the case of the Rossi and Salomon and Nordicas, that was three out of four. For the Fischers, two out of four.

The Sender (not Sender Ti) and Stance were recommended as the number one or number two choice by all three of the shops that carried them. Essentially, every shop said either would be a perfect choice for me. The Rossignol was ranked #1 by two shops and #2 by the other shop. The Stance was ranked #1 by one shop and #2 by two others. I was slightly surprised that a ski so clearly marketed as a freeride ski such as the Black Ops Sender would be at the top of their list. One shop went so far as to say that even though they didn't have any left in my size, it would be worth it for me to seek the correct size from someone else. Stance got wider praise for its soft and deeper snow performance that I expected, as well.

Both Nordicas got a lot of love, too. The Enforcer 100, BTW, was by far the most ubiquitous ski at Big Ski. You literally saw a pair every time you got in a lift line.

The Fischer was a sleeper but everyone said it is fantastic.

So, hoping maybe to demo one or two in Jackson Hole or Grand Targhee in a couple of weeks. I don't think I could go truly wrong with any of them. At this point, it would take demo days on all five to be thoroughly convinced of which is best, but I know that won't happen. I am hoping to get on one of the Nordicas and one of either the Rossi or Salomon and try to make a decision. Right now, I would go Rossi if I had to choose. I am not sure why, but it was given such praise for what I want to do that it was hard to ignore. Same goes for the Salomon.

Reactions: BMC

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the on mtn demo tent at Jackson would be your best bet for low hassle demo at $10/hr if open ( maybe call?)

Like you said all of those options are pretty ubiquitous so you should have little problem finding them to try.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have 4 pairs of fischers 102Fr's at my house now.... :D

102 stance just went on sale here for $450 locally so considering trying them, some amazing deals to be had theese days.

Do a demo for sure.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So, after four days at Big Sky and going to the ski shop there and three more in Bozeman yesterday, I have compiled the recommendations of all four shops into this list:

Rossignol Black Ops Sender 104
Salomon Stance 102
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
Nordica Enforcer 100
Fischer Ranger 102 FR

Throw a dart, pick one, and just go ski.

(The safe pick is the Enforcer 104 as a complement to your Evolve 90... it's like a Soul 7 with edge grip and some crud chops... easy and fun to ski. If a Sender Ti is more ski than you like, take the stance 102 off your list .)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From the 1st page on I’ve been thinking the Fischer 102 FR would be a no-brainer for the conditions you describe.