• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for 2nd Ski for Powder

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a pair of Mindbender 108s. 6’ 170ish. I skied both the 179 & 186. Ended up buying the 179 as I thought the 186 was a bit ponderous. (Maybe one of Ski otters bad batch) I found the 179s to be good on groomers, crud and 6 to 8 inches. Quick and fun. However both my Praxis 9D8s (185, 98mm) and Fischer 102FRs (184) float better in deeper snow. Presumably the 186 would give you more float.

TS
D

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of Mindbender 108s. 6’ 170ish. I skied both the 179 & 186. Ended up buying the 179 as I thought the 186 was a bit ponderous. (Maybe one of Ski otters bad batch) I found the 179s to be good on groomers, crud and 6 to 8 inches. Quick and fun. However both my Praxis 9D8s (185, 98mm) and Fischer 102FRs (184) float better in deeper snow. Presumably the 186 would give you more float.

I'm the same height as you but plus 20 pounds so wonder if maybe the 186 is about right for me? Definitely leaning towards Mindbender 108 Ti 186cm. Cost is a consideration and I've found a great sale for those.

E: Pulled the trigger on these skis at Corbett's (with the exchange rate, it ended up being $332.06 including tax and shipping). Bindings not included but still feels like a great deal. Thank you to everyone for your input and advice!

Last edited:
TS
D

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I'm looking at bindings and wondering whether it would be worth the added durability to go for e.g. Tyrolia Attack2 14 GW. I don't *think* that I need a DIN over 12 as I've never really had an issue with a faulty release when renting and I don't really do big jumps. I'm thinking that the Tyrolia bindings look good based on what I've read on here and the price point, and below are the best prices I've been able to find. Is it fine to get the AM 12 for $106 or might it make sense to jump up to the Attack2 13 or 14?

• '21 Tyrolia AM 12 GW - $106
  • '21 Tyrolia Attack2 12 GW - $127
  • '21 Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW - $130
  • '22 Tyrolia Attack2 14 GW - $157* (E: corrected price)

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I'm looking at bindings and wondering whether it would be worth the added durability to go for e.g. Tyrolia Attack2 14 GW. I don't *think* that I need a DIN over 12 as I've never really had an issue with a faulty release when renting and I don't really do big jumps. I'm thinking that the Tyrolia bindings look good based on what I've read on here and the price point, and below are the best prices I've been able to find. Is it fine to get the AM 12 for $106 or might it make sense to jump up to the Attack2 13 or 14?

• '21 Tyrolia AM 12 GW - $106
  • '21 Tyrolia Attack2 12 GW - $127
  • '22 Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW - $130
  • '22 Tyrolia Attack2 14 GW - $149
Skip the Attack 12…go straight to the Attack 13. There is a reason the 12’s are significantly cheaper than 13/14.…(plastic<metal)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a ski for East coast carving already so not worried about that. I guess if the combination of attributes I said doesn't exist then I could lay off the "stable at speed" criteria since I do have a ski that can do that already and I probably won't be going as fast on this ski as I would on my Experience 82 Tis. I actively avoid bumps and trees so not worried about that really at all.

Also it looks like the '22 Head Kore 111 and 117 come in 184 or 191, not 189. Would 191 be too much?

Thanks so much for all the advice, super helpful!
It almost exists, very close, noticeably, enough to shoot for; just not in the skis you picked.
No, 191 is not too much in those skis. You wouldn't notice the difference. These are not burly skis, if you can carve pretty well. The Kore 111 and 117 are excellent carvers in the Rockies, on packed powder groomers and such, and at least the Kore 117 is very forgiving. Probably both are. So much so that the 117 does well across a wide range of mount points. (It's rocker was slightly raised and lengthened last year (in the longest length), and it's rec. mount point was moved forward (again, just in the longest), specifically to be more playful and forgiving. I and many of the Head reps like it at -1 or -2 from recommended, but it's a dream at all three locations. And it's the closest thing to a ski that both charges crud well/carves well and has float/playfulness for powder, for such a good carver - at least in Rocky Mt. snow. It's float is very noticeable, and a treat - especially at -1 or -2. For your back East skiing, however, the Kore 111 would have to be better much of the time.

Meanwhile, the Enforcer 115 would be a great option too, although with little float noticeably. It carves its way through anything, rather than float or get playful. And like other Enforcers, it's forgiving yet holds a carve super well in soft snow or crud.
Peace, out.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skip the Attack 12…go straight to the Attack 13. There is a reason the 12’s are significantly cheaper than 13/14.…(plastic<metal)
This seems to run contrary to what I've seen Phil and others say elsewhere that the 12 and 13/14 are the same binding, just in white (and probably aimed at women), and the catalogue weights seem to back that up. Perhaps the Attack 17 is the one that's different?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You seem to be farther out on the "charger/carver in the open" spectrum than I'd guessed.
Or, the OP doesn't actually know yet. I'm seeing a skier that is just starting to experiment with off piste.

I'm a predominantly East Coast skiier but am starting to fold in an annual West Coast trip.

Definitely more carver than slarver.
I don't have much interest in glades and generally don't love bumps.

As someone who grew up skiing almost exclusively in Virginia, I've always just referred to anything west of the Mississippi as "West Coast" skiing.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This seems to run contrary to what I've seen Phil and others say elsewhere that the 12 and 13/14 are the same binding, just in white (and probably aimed at women), and the catalogue weights seem to back that up. Perhaps the Attack 17 is the one that's different?
As someone who installs a ton of Tyrolia bindings, you can’t go wrong with any Tyrolia binding, but IMO, I recommend the Attack13 for an adult skier.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of people are recommending 115-117 skis.
Imo these are to wide. They would be fine in powder, but we don't get powder anymore for more than one hour. A 108 would be better in the cut up or crud that you will more likely find.

I ski the katana 108, perfect ski, but probably expensive

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This thread is kind of all over the map.
If you're looking at a ski that is versatile but has a powder/off piste bias for ski trips, then you seemed to be on the right track with some of your original list.

There were a few others suggested like the Dynastar M-Free, but I"d also consider the Rossignol Sender Ti
Here are a few cagematches that may help you out a bit.

Agree 100 percent on the sender Ti.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

The Attack 12 and 13's are the same except the springs, and the length of screws they ship with. Are you thinking the AM 12? The Attack 12, 13, and 14 are composite. The metal track is not. The 16/18 have an additional metal strop in the heel piece.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or, the OP doesn't actually know yet. I'm seeing a skier that is just starting to experiment with off piste.

I wish I had this much advice when I was starting out... actually I did.

A lot of people are recommending 115-117 skis.
Imo these are to wide. They would be fine in powder, but we don't get powder anymore for more than one hour. A 108 would be better in the cut up or crud that you will more likely find.

I ski the katana 108, perfect ski, but probably expensive

This. A nice versatile western daily driver is a very good entry point.

I'm the same height as you but plus 20 pounds so wonder if maybe the 186 is about right for me? Definitely leaning towards Mindbender 108 Ti 186cm. Cost is a consideration and I've found a great sale for those.

E: Pulled the trigger on these skis at Corbett's (with the exchange rate, it ended up being $332.06 including tax and shipping). Bindings not included but still feels like a great deal. Thank you to everyone for your input and advice!

Excellent choice.

Eidt: Attack 13s are a go to for me when I don't know what I want to mount.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The only difference between the Attack2 13 and new 14 is the 14 now features a window in the heel release lever so you can see the DIN window to adjust in the closed or open position. Also slightly changed the graphics and made the AFD adjustment screw less likely to ever move after adjustment. The hole in the heel level made them a whooping 25gr lighter per side.
So get the 13s on a deal!

Attack2 16/17/18 get the metal race heel so are a bit heavier and have a very substantial feel to them. If you can find a deal on an Attack 16 or 17 that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

TS
D

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
The only difference between the Attack2 13 and new 14 is the 14 now features a window in the heel release lever so you can see the DIN window to adjust in the closed or open position. Also slightly changed the graphics and made the AFD adjustment screw less likely to ever move after adjustment. The hole in the heel level made them a whooping 25gr lighter per side.
So get the 13s on a deal!

Attack2 16/17/18 get the metal race heel so are a bit heavier and have a very substantial feel to them. If you can find a deal on an Attack 16 or 17 that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Great info, thanks! 16s were ~$80 more so I just went ahead and grabbed the 13s for $130.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Line sick days, dyna mfree, or solly qst based on this.

You could also just go demo skis your first trip and see what works for you. Come back with skis.
That's a great idea and usually the demo price goes toward the purchase of the ski.

Sponsor

Staff online