• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a frame

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Reaching out for some help....

I sold my mtb the fall before covid with plans to get a new bike that spring.

HAHAHA!

So last year I rode my gravel and road bikes exclusively, and I have my old utility/fishing bike(karate monkey parts bin bike). Im trying to track down a new frame this winter though, and we all know thats still almost impossible.

29" Hardtail XL XC Racey Geometry, 120 travel fork max.
Something like a Specialized Chisel, Giant XTC, Scott Scale.

Id prefer new but would consider a new'ish used model. I'd strongly prefer a frame, but would consider a Shimano equipped bike or I'd consider a sram equipped bike and sell the parts.

So if anyone has seen or heard a whisper of a rumor about something that meets my wishes please let me know.

Thanks
-Chris

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
The nearest thing Ive found is Litespeed has a Pinhoti frame in stock. Ive owned probably 6 or 7 Litespeeds since 1993 and I really love them, but that bike seems to be abit more of a 'trails' bike vc XC bike. But I REALLY like the durability of titanium.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was noodling around for a while looking at MTB frames, same thing, 29er with XC geo but more modern slack-ish. Like 68 HTA and 75 STA. The frames do seem to be a bit price prohibitive in some ways. Trek and Spec frames are nearly the cost of a similar complete bike. I can guess why this is, but the reality is they aren't as cheap as they should be. I scoured overseas retailers who do sell frames to see what was available. It's really not that easy to find them. There are some far East places with reasonable quality, but not name brand. Ultimately, I was intent on a steel semi-custom mfg. It's possible to get these for around $1200-$1500. I was originally trying to find an aluminum name brand but not so easy. Many are simply out of stock. Norco has frames but again, out of stock. Kona sometimes you can find a frame. I really wish there were a source for Giant frames. There is a place call bikeParts.com that seems to have frames from either pull-aparts or warranty replacements. I've found some gems there from time to time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to keep the frame down around $1500’ish…

Well, if "around" covers ~$2,750 I'd heartily recommend this, which includes a frame and fork:

DT knows how to make bikes, and he REALLY stands behind them.

Disclaimer: I was once a Turner team guy, but that was a long time ago, in a place far, far away... ;)

Chisel seems like good bang for the buck, but ya gotta find one.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'd heartily recommend this, which includes a frame and fork:

Well sh*t.

That's a sneakily big bike, in both a rider size and a uphill/dowhill capability way.

Pretty sure that's the first thing I've seen where I could ride a small and be happy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a sneakily big bike, in both a rider size and a uphill/dowhill capability way.

Which I find hilarious, because when I was helping develop the Czar, one of our arguments was that I wanted the bike "bigger", but DT was still in the "small bike for handling" camp.

As owner of the company, he won, but time has proven me right.

Dammit! :eek:

scott43

Skier
You can also get a Kona Honzo ST steel frame for $699..but it's fairly slack..like 66 HTA. And a bit heavy...

scott43

Skier
Another thought..I liked this bike, it's alu, lightish, nice geo in my opinion and cheap enough..you can toss or resell whatever components you don't want and rebuild the frame. I'm concerned about the quality of Canyon stuff but this thing may be alright..

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Well, if "around" covers ~$2,750 I'd heartily recommend this, which includes a frame and fork:
I'm seeing $3195 for frame and fork.
Disclaimer: I was once a Turner team guy, but that was a long time ago, in a place far, far away... ;)
I once worked at the place that painted Turner bikes... also a long time ago! He wasn't doing any ti back then, from what I recall. Lots of full suspension aluminum. and flames, I never cared for flames...
Ritchey Ultra frameset. In stock in large. $1k.
That frame was on my short list but I couldn't find one in stock. They've got XL's in stock too!!! You ever dealt with that online retailer? Thomas Frischknecht was an idol of mine as a junior racer back in the 90's. That maybe the frame!

Specialized rep said they are totally sold out of Chisel(bikes/frames) for the year, so that one is off the list.

scott43

Skier
I've never used bike24 but my co-worker has regularly and has said good things. For $1k frame in this bike environment, it'd be worth it to me.

scott43

Skier
I'm seeing $3195 for frame and fork.

I once worked at the place that painted Turner bikes... also a long time ago! He wasn't doing any ti back then, from what I recall. Lots of full suspension aluminum. and flames, I never cared for flames...

That frame was on my short list but I couldn't find one in stock. They've got XL's in stock too!!! You ever dealt with that online retailer? Thomas Frischknecht was an idol of mine as a junior racer back in the 90's. That maybe the frame!

Specialized rep said they are totally sold out of Chisel(bikes/frames) for the year, so that one is off the list.
They actually have an Ultra Team..in Frischknecht colours!!

Sponsor

Staff online