• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a new BBQ

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
other ways to burn bigger cuts of meat.

Son worked for a time at BBQs Galore in Australia. One of the things they taught him was how to use a bbq without producing charcoal. (Unless that's the requirement.)

Pretty sure we can get a multi-page thread going on how to cook with a bbq - be something similar to ski technique. In any event I'll back my son's never-fail BBQs Galore taught method! :popcorn:

And whaddauknow.... 2 posts down in the unread list... :beercheer:

James

Out There
Instructor
How small?
We had a very small Weber, the one that you could screw a coleman propane can to if you wanted. Maybe 5 yrs ago. That one had nothing but problems. it was replaced by a normal size one.
The advantage to Weber is you can get all the parts. I could’ve rebuilt a 30+ year old one again, but it was elected to replace it. Actually, the burner tube in that was original. Frankly, I preferred the simpler aesthetic.

The current Weber Spirit has nice enameled cast iron grates.

One tip- if you store it on solid ground outside with a cover- make sure the cover doesn’t touch the ground all around. If so, moisture will come up out of the ground or off slate and just stay inside. I destroyed unenamelled cast iron grates that way.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My wife and I were a bit space constrained a few years ago, and we bought a Weber “Q” series. A 300 series. It then, we thought, was going to be a backup at home.
Well we both love it. We have enamel grates for it. It heats up REALLY quickly, seems to barely sip propane, and it’s got plenty of grill space for us.
Takes up almost no space on a deck space between our kitchen and the big deck.
And if needed, we have the big Weber Genesis and an original size Weber charcoal kettle handy in one of the sheds.

Big fans of the Q. Our son bought one for $25 on CL, replaced the “plumbing” and painted ir red and black with hear resistant engine paint. Bought new grates, and it looks and works like new. He asked the other day why I thought you didn’t see more of them.

My guess is that people don’t know what they are….or how well they cook.

They make a smaller one, too.

My brother uses stainless boat grills at both of his ski condo’s. They work. Small footprint. Very durable.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have the Broil King Signet 320 at the Cottage. Love it and that is where most of the BBQ'ing will be done. Home is just because I hate fried steaks. Can't beat grilled on a BBQ. The Napoleon is falling apart.

A ski buddy suggested that Traveller/Q too. He found it at Leon's even. Everyone is into the BBQ game. He's using his in Nunavut.

And let's keep the thread to the original intent. I need a BBQ. (the moderator from another site is coming out!)

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll jump on the bandwagon as well and say Weber because of parts availability. I had a Charbroil Infrared grill that I loved but when I need to replace a few parts my $500 grill became a $900 grill. I have a nice stainless grill at home that's not a weber and that company has since gone out of business. When we got a permanent campsite last year I ended up buying a used Weber Genesis grill for $50. $150 in new parts and some elbow grease and I have a really nice grill that has convinced me to not buy another brand ever again.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That sucks about no pellet grills! I never use my grill OR my oven anymore, as the pellet grill does the job of both of them, better then either one! I haven't baked a sourdough loaf on it yet, but will so soon as I don't want to heat up the house.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
That sucks about no pellet grills! I never use my grill OR my oven anymore, as the pellet grill does the job of both of them, better then either one! I haven't baked a sourdough loaf on it yet, but will so soon as I don't want to heat up the house.

Hope you enjoy all the chemicals that are used to stick those pellets together.
Not for me.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I live in an apartment like the OP, but I'm not even allowed a gas grill on my deck. I got an induction hot plate to use with a cast iron skillet. It's way better for steaks and fish than any gas grill I've ever had. It warms up instantly and gets way hotter with better temperature controll than any grill. It's even usable on the coldest days in the winter when a gas grill never gets hot enough. I still keep a gas grill outside downstairs but it's getting less and less use every year.

I'd toss that gas grill in a heartbeat if I could find a 120v electric grill that got hot eough.

dm

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another vote for Weber Q. We have had ours for years and it still works great. Good size for us. I can cook a couple steaks or pieces of salmon and have room for the veggies. If cooking for company can easily fir plenty of meat and if grilling veggies I just do them first. Ours sits just outside the kitchen/back door and we use it all year round. Used to have a Weber Genesis and I like our Q better.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Weber Q at home as well, and it has been just fine. I also use a Fire Disc, which isn't a grill, more like a giant wok on a stand, but it was my favorite new toy last summer. Very versatile. If I had space limitations, I might do this and a table top grill.
36_Original_Fireman_Red_426.jpg

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I enjoy using the Charbroil Patio Caddy. Small footprint yet large enough and heats evenly. The one in this picture shows a small propane tank but a large tank fits as well.
684594F0-939C-460F-8BDA-88E7A9F8E61E.jpeg

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I have a Weber Q at home as well, and it has been just fine. I also use a Fire Disc, which isn't a grill, more like a giant wok on a stand, but it was my favorite new toy last summer. Very versatile. If I had space limitations, I might do this and a table top grill.

That reminds of the outdoor fryer!!

I enjoy using the Charbroil Patio Caddy. Small footprint yet large enough and heats evenly. The one in this picture shows a small propane tank but a large tank fits as well.
View attachment 136389

Oh, this is neat. I'll have to look at it too!

James

Out There
Instructor
Huh. So it’s like a gringo wok where you can plop a steak in the middle?
How do you use yours?

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Damn those Weber's are expensive. Maybe we're not making in Canada anymore. I know I've seen the sign off the 401 in the Cambridge area.

Though the Q does looking interesting. Lots of stuff N/A already. Some people didn't upgrade last year it looks like!

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My next BBQ will be one of those wood pellet auto-feeding ones. Not sure what the brand will be.
I was highly sceptical of those, but a friend from KC swore by his so much I got one. There's a learning curve, but it works quite well and is about as hassle free as BBQ can be.